My 3rd...My new AE86 project: BEAMS Big changes! Update 12/12

webyosan
Club4AG Enthusiast

My 3rd...My new AE86 project: BEAMS Big changes! Update 12/12

Postby webyosan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:38 am

I told myself that I would never do this again two years ago... Guess I lied, and this time, I promised myself that this is IT! No more Toyota projects...

I've own an Ae86 since 2002 at the age 22.

My first AE86s in 2002 starting with a Kouki coupe GT-S for $300, then Zenki hatch GT-S for $450. They were are under rated, easy to find and mega cheap(I miss those old days)!!

Then prepped the hatch for autocross for the next 5 yrs. I drove many different types of RWD cars in autocross, but the AE86 was my most favorite!

I later acquired another clean straight non rusty shell and did a parts transfer from my old GT-S hatch to this one, but this time it became a blacktop 20V. Then I sold the old hatch GT-S as bare shell. This second project started in 2012 to 2015 which is 95%(3 years project) complete. Only the side skirts, A/F gauge + timing adjusted are left. From a rust free shell to a complete restore project.

Stripped and old ye old GT-S as bare shell

Before - The day I picked it up

After - What it looks like today stored in my garage.

Moving on...Short story: It was a rainy day, I picked up a real clean/almost rust free SR-5 zenki coupe for $300 from a nice young girl who gave up on her 20V project. She's a student who passionate AE86 but ran out of $$ :( Thank god the 4AC was removed before I got there. I really don't know anything about 4AC since I've always driven/worked on many types of 4AGE cars.

Here's the booty after we towed to my buddy's house, and again very minor body damages plus 'CLEAN' title.

Such a clean engine bay :D

And now it's new heart. SXE10 3SGE Beams with a 6 speed that I scored on Ebay for only $999 shipped. Reason going Beams is because I had a chance to test drive an actual AE86 with a Beams swap and holy Crap!! It's a real kick!! It's the perfect machine for Auto-X.

Everything checked good, no seals or anything needs replacement. Timing belt/tensioners has been replaced before.

Lot's more details and pic coming up...
Last edited by webyosan on Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:05 am, edited 7 times in total.

86SPL
Club4AG Regular

Re: My 3rd AE86 project, this time it's going BEAMS!

Postby 86SPL » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:17 pm

awesome project! How much more does the beams 3sg weigh versus the 4ag? Were you keeping the 6spd and going to put spacers?

webyosan
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby webyosan » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:14 am

Thanks! I am not sure the exact weight, but I can tell you that the 2.0 Beams+6 speed are much heavier. I have already fabricate my own spacers out of T6 aluminum.

Picked up this AW11 rack with MK3 intermediate shaft and begin to clean, sanded, replaced bushings, new bellows and new tie rods, and paint.

Removed the SR-5 gas tank and donated to a local 86 owner

Also picked up the Beam swap engine/trans bracket from Xcessive(24mins from my house)

Hanging at their shop and chatting with the awesome owner, but wait!! What is that hiding behind there?!! Can it be??!!

It's my old hatch! It's been 3 years and glad it became Xcessive's guinea pig to build prototype custom parts.
Last edited by webyosan on Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

86SPL
Club4AG Regular

Postby 86SPL » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:39 am

With the additional weight and the beams being top heavy compared to the 4age, and with spacers on the sub frame; I wonder how much this would negatively impact the ae86's nimbleness on the track/autox, and will the power gain from the beams be enough to override it.

webyosan
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby webyosan » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:43 pm

That's a good question I asked that myself until I've driven my buddy's AE86 beams swap on Megan coil overs/corner balanced. Ooo boy this thing can fly thru corners just like my hatch(20VBT, megan coilovers, corner balanced, auto-x alignment) but more power! :). The only real way to tell is to find out how much time improvements between the 20V and Beams in auto-x.(Which is why there's 3-8 trials).

Again, the only reason I went Beams is because I got a chance to see it in the real and jot down many notes about my buddy's Chris's AEBeams swap.

webyosan
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby webyosan » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:00 pm

Today more goodies came in the mail after a month of wait from RHDJapan. I decide to go with the Ogura clutch since it's the only one I've seen in action on other swaps.

Almost forgot the stuff I got from Thailand

Then the work begins by stripping the interior out. Still surprises me to find only 5% rust

webyosan
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby webyosan » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:05 pm

Received the new fuel tank and began to primer and flat black BBQ paint. Plus it didn't come with a drain bolt, so I weld a bung. Fitment is perfect. Also picked up 2 GT-S fuel lines and another fuel tank(for the fuel pump bracket/sender)

My buddy Mike came over to give me a hand. Jacked up the car and begin to remove engine bay harness and other components plus removed the SR-5 fuel lines.

Installed new re-build rack with new rods and added the 1" subframe spacers

86SPL
Club4AG Regular

Postby 86SPL » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:57 am

looking good! great pictures

webyosan
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby webyosan » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:33 am

Thanks, and it's still going! Heh! At the same time I'm also working on my BMW E36 Compact which is a like an hour drive.

During the weekend, I removed more interior stuff and somewhat found this weird looking box mounted in the trunk, wired all the way to the front driver side dash connected to a microphone/antenna.

I believe this coupe was equiped with a mobile cellular phone back in the mid 90's? In the garbage it goes! :)

An hour later, I picked up a set of these original mint condition Supras with almost new tires(3 weeks on the road). I bought from another AE86 owner which means it had the correct specs and not the bulky tall Supra type of tires.

Coming back home I decided to remove the entire interior stinky 31yrs old sound deadening using chisels, dry ice, and of course an air hammer.

The job took less than an hour and voila. It's a bit of mess but easy clean.

I even weighed that junk too: 40LBS!!

webyosan
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby webyosan » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:13 am

Going for a rear brake upgrade and received the MK1 Supra whole rear calipers, brackets, and dust shield. They will bolt on and replace the rear GT-S disc brake calipers.

Sand blasted, rebuild, painted, and assemble like new :D
[Image

Received Whiteline 4 links adjustable links

Also picked up a W58 Celica Supra drive line and interchange the front shaft 22 splines W58 and mate to the GT-S rear shaft drive line along with new hardwares and torqued at spec.

Steering column tested with the Supra intermediate shaft with the 1" spacer. No issue there

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Postby grappletech » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:51 pm

Looks great!!!
87 GTS Coupe stock and Super Duper Clean
87 GTS Coupe Beams 3sge (under construction cuz I'm slow and lazy and broke-FML)
87 SR5 Coupe Shell. (Sold)
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

webyosan
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby webyosan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:44 am

Little update: We were able to remove most of the old interior body seal with a little help of dry ice. Then slapped a wire wheel on my fav HFreight angle grinder to clean the rest before stich welding. Not really a fun job :(

Picked this up locally for only $100 and call it good :D

Next day, got the interior cleaned up then popped out the MIG welder and begin to stitch weld starting from the back interior. It's been a while I've used a welder so don't expect anything pretty.

webyosan
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby webyosan » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:24 am

More work was done today. Buddy came by and helped me to remove the rest of the old seam sealer in the engine bay.

Looking good and clean and ready for more stitch welding. Found a lot of surface rust around the brake booster and clutch master cylinder area.

webyosan
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby webyosan » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:42 am

It's about 9AM and I began to stitch weld the engine bay

Then finished it close to 4PM taking my time making sure I didn't miss anything.

Removed the battery tray with a spot weld remover drill bit

Surprisingly no rust!

Next day I got a helper with the POR-15 rust prevention and took our time applying the sealant on the bare metal seam. It's messy, but once it's dry, it's a pain to get it off. Again we took our sweet time to make sure that we covered all bare metal.

Still couple more steps before primer and paint. Next step to this is to figure which brand of autobody seam sealer I'm going to buy.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:34 am

It's going smooth so far. Nicely done..

webyosan
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby webyosan » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:13 am

Thanks! I've been watching your vids too! Keep up the great job!

Great news!! Received couple more goodies today!
It took me a while to find this non A/C heater pipe that takes place of the A/C unit evaporator

A/C unite evaporator is out

A/C delete tube in place

Also picked up a complete Clean minty OEM Kouki bumper for $600 minus $280 from selling bunch of AE86 parts , also received $266 from my state return which is $54... perfect timing.

Nice! It even comes with the kouki grill :D

webyosan
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby webyosan » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:16 am

Last weekend I went ahead and added body seam sealer to interior and engine bay.

While it's getting dried up I cutted the the pinch weld tabs inside the wheel well then hammered back against the inner wheel well. Once I was done, I sealed wtith POR-15 and call it a day.

Next on the list:
Final check up
quick sanding
final clean wipe
remove doors
masking interior/glass
then paint.

webyosan
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby webyosan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:04 pm

Back from one of my vacation. Tonight I picked this hard to find complete stored working GT-S Kouki differential for only $300 local(I know what steal!) since owner went Celica Supra diff. It even came with all the 4 links, lateral rod with new poly bushings and will be ready to install on the coupe. Perfect timing :D

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:35 am

Wow you got lucky on that rear end. Congrats. You'll be driving this in no time.

On a side note.....can the oem axles handle beams power?

webyosan
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby webyosan » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:07 pm

I 've seen the axle break running BEAMS but it all depends what sport the car is for. This project is intend for autocross, other form of grip racing and maybe rally cross. Although there is a local shop that can produce axles for our ae86 but only kouki axles.

webyosan
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby webyosan » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:48 am

Not much done today on the car but we did some video shooting of my other AE86 and also a friend's Beams swap before 8/6 day

Here's the final vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFKSlm-3Iwk

Enjoy!! :D

webyosan
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby webyosan » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:44 am

Not much done to the coupe because of this.

webyosan
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby webyosan » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:07 am

Bought auto paint code 040 Toyota Super White II and painting supplies last Friday.

Had to modified the shifter hole for the Beams transmission and bashed the transmission tunnel

Interior is almost ready for paint after taking some time masking all glasses but then ran out of masking paper.
Image[/URL]

Doors and hood has been removed. Engine bay is ready as well, just a little more scuffing and sanding.

webyosan
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: My 3rd AE86 project, this time it's going BEAMS! UPDATE 8/30

Postby webyosan » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:43 am

Still a lot of work to do but today we had to rush on the prepping work before we were loosing sunlight.

Shooting with the base coat- Code 040 Toyota Super White II, nice and even.

Then the clear coat, call it good and wait until tomorrow

webyosan
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby webyosan » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:13 pm

Here's the finished result of interior as of today :)

Engine bay looks elegant as well.

Definitely happy with Baxter Auto Part's paint products along with their clear coat as i have over spent which leaves me extras for future panels. Although the trunk will be painted with a simple black base color.

webyosan
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby webyosan » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:59 am

Late post but last week I bought more paint and clear for the trunk space. I decide to paint the trunk Toyota dark grey metallic. Then on the weekend I began to work and clean up the trunk space plus I removed the left bracket holding the standard Toyota jack.

The old 30 something yrs old tail light gasket were kaput, so I decided to make my own gasket out of rubber neoprene sheet that I got from Ebay. Saved me about $70 from the stealership. :D

Then scuff the old paint and masked from the inside and exterior of the car. Later today I will do my final wipes and clean before the base paint.

webyosan
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: My 3rd AE86 project, this time it's going BEAMS! UPDATE 9/21

Postby webyosan » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:11 am

More updates on the coupe: Finally got the Toyota metallic grey automotive base coat compressed in the an aerosol spray cans, plus the automotive clear coat also arrived in the mail too.

Topped it up with a light coating spray and then a second heavy wave. This paint is full of that metallic glider and floats all around in the air, so a good paint mask and goggle is a must because this stuff really stinks.

Now for the clear coat...Same thing, this stuff stank and gets all over you but the result were fantastic! :D I ran out of clear so I did my best to cover as much as I can.

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Re: My 3rd AE86 project, this time it's going BEAMS! UPDATE 9/29

Postby grappletech » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:54 pm

getting better and better!
87 GTS Coupe stock and Super Duper Clean
87 GTS Coupe Beams 3sge (under construction cuz I'm slow and lazy and broke-FML)
87 SR5 Coupe Shell. (Sold)
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

webyosan
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby webyosan » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:26 am

Thanks! Its been kinda of slow. I just got back from Japan and got some goodies from UP Garage in Tokyo, especially that clean mint Italvolenti for only 10,000 Yen which is $96. :D

Today I finally had the chance to remove the original SR-5 rear end out with ease since all bolts came out loose with no rust :D

JDM20VAE101
Club4AG Expert

Postby JDM20VAE101 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:17 pm

Great Job man!

Loving your Build!

Time and effort invested...
Ivan's 4AGE BT 20V 6Spd LSD Build Thread
Just Scroll Down & Enjoy!
http://www.club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4529
Thanks For Looking! :D