Car 2

Abe Cruz
Club4AG Enthusiast

Car 2

Postby Abe Cruz » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:05 am

1984 missile project.

Why a missile? Because I'll be doing this on a budget and it's my work I guess. Just want to beat on this car as hard as everyone else does and well, whatever happens, happens.

Been a member since 2005, mostly purchased a few things here and there and sold some stuff, first time posting on the build thread but here goes nothing.

Little story behind it.

Got my 1984 sr5 in 2010 and ran awful, but still ran and drove....awful tho. Drove it around for a bit as a dd and decided to try and fix it, other things came up and then it sat around for a while with lots of missing parts.

Trying to make it to asb 15 so ill see how well this goes.

Needs motor, harness, lots of extras and detail stuff to get it to even drive. This is going to be a "fun" build. Fun to bash with when its "done".

Trying to make it a "budget build" using some leftover parts off my other 86 thus making it a "missile" and practical beater....

Parts I've been sitting on for some time is these Swifts springs I got back in 2010, 6kg fronts, 4.5kg rears. Going to try the agx because its cheap and I've been curious about them.
I also have Battle VersionNRCA to use, need t3 camber tops to purchase and KYB agx sw20 front shock inserts.

I have T3 traction brackets, bv lateral bar, stock 4 link w/ poly bushings and gts rear w/ a loud 4.30 and a weir spool to use the zenki axles.
Most of the parts I'm going to use are my old parts out of my 86 hachi and are ready to go a few more rounds. Good quality parts is something you cant beat.
Last edited by Abe Cruz on Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:11 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Clouds
Club4AG Expert

Re: Car

Postby Clouds » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:32 pm

Good luck, man. Looks like it's gonna be a while before it's gonna be finished unless you are SuperBuilder :lol:
There shouldn't be a day that goes by where you don't learn something new.

Abe Cruz
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Abe Cruz » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:25 pm

So asb15 and my missle didn't happen, that sh!+ got expensive really quick and just had a lot to do for a missle to survive an event like that.

Going to slow it down and knock this out when I can and get a chance to do some work on it...but still keep it "missile". Probably just going to do things with whatever little money I have so definitely keep it a budget and mild build.

Part numbers list I'll be using that other members have used time and time again, and now I'll be getting a chance to use and share these parts as well. I just type the name and part number in google, and search for whatever company can ship it fastest lol.

Brakes and Rotors
~ Porterfield R4S (front pads)
~ Hawk HPS HB203F-550 (rear pads)
~ RPM slotted rotors ( front and purchased 2011, just now putting them to use)
~ Centric solid rotors (rear rotors)

*Battle Garage
~ steel braided brake lines (they have a different name but BG has them in stock)

Suspension and Steering (feel free to correct me on part numbers)
* KYB AGX shocks
~ 765015 (sw20 front shock setup)
~ 743019 (camaro rear shocks)

* Beck/Arnley bellows
~ 103-2683 & 103-2206 (mr2 manual rack swap)
* Beck/Arnley tie rods
inners ~ 101-4081
outters ~ 101-3707

* Prothane bushings (add -bl at end for black bushings)
~ 18-1203 (strut rod/ tension rod)
~ 18-210 (lower control arm)
~ 19-421 (sway bar end link and bushings)
~ 18-401 (sway bar bushings only)
~ 18-702 (manual r&p bishings; I'm going to use the T3 bushing for the power to manual rack conversion on the passenger side and have a new Prothane bushing on the driver side)

* Moog ball joints
~ k9083

*Techno Toy Tuning
~ T3 camber plates
~ T3 strut tube spacer
~ T3 big port itb adapter
~ T3 crank pulley (used, had it on my 20v)
~ T3 water pump pulley (used, had it on my 20v)
~ T3 crank trigger wheel

*Battle Version*
~ Negative Roll Center Adjusters (going to use them off my other car so used quality parts for sure)

*Dmac
~ offset manual rack spacer

*Aisin
~ CMT-038 (clutch master cylinder)
~ BMT-043 (brake master cylinder)

Engine Setup
*HKS
~ 3302-ST029 (Sport exhaust, single tip)
~ 2201-RT004 (4AG 16v valve springs)

*SQ-Engineering
~ 100mm silver top velocity stacks
~ pipercross filter adapter
~ 16v dizz yblock off

*Arp
~ 203-6001 (rod bolt kit)
~ 203-5001 (mail bolt kit)

Wicked Sick Goodies
*Toyota
~ 31321-53010 (pad pedals, also used in lexus is300)

How I like to start when I work on this missle.

Healthy breakfasts, this is how I roll!

My old ae101 hope can still be salvageable. Short block going to be used, 16v head and itbs.

Just this sucker is getting used. Head with cams, gears, valves is for sale. Just sayin'

My Polish buddy , Jeff, going to give me a hand with the engine build. Homeboi gets down with engines so someone that's local and I can trust with the work.

Marking everything just to be on the safe side.

Ugly, I know. And I put a good beating on this.

Cleaned the pistons up a bit to mark them. Won't be using the pistons but good for practice.

This is what happened after doing hot laps on HTM.

Hope I can still use the crank. I'll find out after I take it to the machine shop...

Con rods look fine.

This however, not so fine.

The springs are already on the missle, just got some sw20 front kyb agx shocks in the mail along with t3 strut spacers and godspeed sway bars that will be getting installed. Springs not to stiff so sways and maybe a few extra bars should help stiffen the ride to try and match my other hachi project. The sr20 corolla has Parts Shop Max Pro Coilovers and I love that suspension setup. This project is more of a budget build so a few new bushings and new parts will help keep this 84 corolla stay sturdy.

I'll STFU and post pics.

Shocks came in while I was working on missle :D

Suspension stuff is out and so is the subframe.

Old and new. Kyb agx sw20 front shock setup. Been curious about these, now im about to find out if I like them or not.

Not so gangster rolling on cut springs and blown shocks. Previous owners work.

Cleaned and rattle canned, also did a clear coat. Not a fan of the gunk this 84 has been collecting.

T3 strut tube spacers

KYB part number - 765015

How the settings get explained lol :lol:

Always wondered how these got adjusted. Never got a chance to look at these really close.

One down, one more to go. Going to use my sr corollas Battle Version NRCA and purchase the t3 camber plates.

Godspeed sways. Cant beat the price and just a solid metal....I hope. I'll find out how well these hold up come track day.

Clean clean clean, sounds like a hassle and work but makes working on a car a lot easier a much nicer.

Comparison - sr5 and Godspeed front sways

Yup, 7 11 diet.

Bout to go HAM on this!

Got help from the homies, Purple Power and brush. They get down af! :D

Goint to scuff and paint also. Left some bolts and nuts in the chemical cleaning bucket so ill check that out when I get closer to assemble everything.
Last edited by Abe Cruz on Wed May 25, 2016 12:58 am, edited 12 times in total.

Abe Cruz
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Abe Cruz » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:58 pm

Not sure how cig bud got inside the motor mount support hole. More cleaning on the subframe

This side....it was tempting to leave it in the trash lol.

mad_86
Club4AG Expert

Postby mad_86 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:42 pm

NICE Good Stuff man!! we gotta hit up HTM get a corolla train going!

Abe Cruz
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Abe Cruz » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:22 pm

mad_86 wrote:NICE Good Stuff man!! we gotta hit up HTM get a corolla train going!

Im so down! This pic was from the last time I drove HTM and spun a bearing. Cant wait to go H.A.M. the next track day! Some of my favorite 2014 pics that my buddy John Shaffer took. (speed driven media)

JD rd1 @ balcony with Danny Giraldo

Yup, just want to drive this car again and do skids. Soon I hope.

Abe Cruz
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Abe Cruz » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Wanted to get more done and then post but whatever. Much needed bushings and got a few more needed parts because this is the easy and cheap stuff that doesn't cost a lot.

Last I left off on the subframe getting cleaned. Just had to have one before starting...

Scuffed and got it ready. Can't get enough of this color, VHT Black Pearl.

Just paint

And after clear coat

No clear coat.

After clear coat. Love how it comes out after.

Sad looking parts

Did some cleaning and ran out of daylight. I'm sure lots of guys can relate, no guyrage makes it a bit hard.

When parts arrive.

More cleaning.

Really like how these came out.

Getting around to this but it'll be a white bay when done.

Seen people burn the old bushings off so I figure I'd try it too. Got it down on the 2nd lca and had less of a mess to clean.

Just heat it up enough until you hear it about to cook, then hit it against something a bit elevated. I used a cinder block.

Doesn't make much of a mess this way. You can see the first lca bushing on the ground and wow it leaves a bad smell.

Ready to prep now that the old ball joints and bushings are out.

One coat done and I ran out of paint and sunlight.

Hopefully I can get more done and have things assembled next post.
Last edited by Abe Cruz on Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mad_86
Club4AG Expert

Postby mad_86 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:50 pm

Sweet! I did the torching method also works like a charm!

Dam that clear coat looks dope!!
I shoulda hit my crossmember with it also!

Yo JUST Drift DEC.12-balcony 13th-HTM

Abe Cruz
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Abe Cruz » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:00 am

Just got a new job about 3 weeks ago so I wont be going any events for a while. Need to put a motor together for this thing also so might be a another month or two before this thing is ready to hit the track and the engine parts is what's going to cost the most. And my diff has a lot of play so I'll need a rebuild and probably new r&p so maybe a 4.5 or 4.7 might be getting installed

trigun402
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby trigun402 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:46 pm

This build looks like fun. :D

Abe Cruz
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Abe Cruz » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:11 pm

Well...... here's a little more.

And my missle project continues!.....ish.

Jason Kim of Rival Auto Works helped me acquire some parts for my missle. Thanks Jason! Any help is greatly appreciated :D

Jason plying around with some 2jz lol.

Lcas with new bushings, b joints and sway links.

Going to try these out. From what I know, Mahle bought out DANA, DANA was making pistons for Perfect Circle and so on. Best bang for the buck from what I've heard so lets see if this motor goes bang or not. One way to really find out though.
- "Whatever happens, happens".

Yup. I was told about some event for 1/22/16, I'd like to attend but this missle project wont be running by then from the looks of things. Fml lol.
Running on hopes and dreams.

Things that are on their way are D-Mac and HKS parts.

I'll try to update this at the end of Jan.

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Postby Grant » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:55 am

Nice work cleaning up all those parts! :)

Abe Cruz
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Abe Cruz » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:24 am

Bit of an update, working lot so not much progress on missle hachi.
A few pics and parts that came in, also updated my parts list in my third post on here.

Going to relocate the battery so this is getting cleaned up a little and the sr5 coolant reservoir, will be using a gt-s reservoir.

Also cleaned up the tranny tunnel a little. No before pic is needed, I'm sure most people can relate to a dirty tranny tunnel and having debris fall on their faces lol.

Little story behind this.
When I first got my first ae86, I was looking for an exhaust that wasn't too flashy or too loud. I remember people talk about the HKS sport and before I knew it I wanted one, this was around 2005. A friend also told me about the Fujitsubo Legalis R. It was another exhaust that wasn't too loud nor too flashy and I also thought that the Legalis R was way cooler at the time because not a lot of peeps had one and wasn't as common. I got the Fujitsubo. Years went by and I still wanted the HKS Sport. I Finally got one!

More work...

Beautiful parts.

Some SQ-engineering parts arrived.... all the way from Australia!

Meet the homies, Aisin, Raybrig, Nardi. We go way back.
Extra pair of Raybrigs for the sr86 that'll be in the works in the next few months.

Continue cleaning and playing with a little bondo.

I'll add more pics later ;)

Abe Cruz
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Abe Cruz » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:53 am

Still waiting on parts but this is how bae86 is coming along.
Now Im not so sure when it'll be running but I'm itching to go do skids with the homies 8-)

Got the front suspension together for the most part. The Front ae86 Godspeed sway bar fit really well so my guess is that the Rear Godspeed sway bar will work just fine, and it came with new bushings for front and rear. Its always awesome when stuff works and fits the first time around!

Hung out here for a bit.... actually started to almost take a nap. The sun started to whoop my a s s for a bit. Much love for the weather in S.D. and wouldn't have it any other way!

Brake lines got cleaned and got installed along w/ a new clutch master.

Took out the proportion valve to clean it a bit since I didn't do that earlier because I'm smart like that....
Also installed the subframe and started to assemble the goods.

:D

Ae86 wrenchathon:
My idea of a wrenchathon is to keep going until I run out of daylight or out of car parts. Sometimes i'll run out of both but I push until i cant push no more!

Old bushings, time to kick the bucket.

Teaser pic with the stock sr5 wicked sick wheels lol.

A quick look at the pics I saw on the craigslist ad. Omg, not sure what I was thinking :oops: :oops: :oops:
Image Image Image Image

When I went to pick it up I decided to bring my spare wheels just in case. Lets just say those are the same wheels I'll be using on the car when its ready to hit the track!

till next time....

Abe Cruz
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Abe Cruz » Mon May 09, 2016 12:14 am

Got a bit busy helping out a friend and things are taking a bit long but here is a quick update.

My boi Jesus Magana w/ the white RX7 made it out to Just Drift Top Drift limited rd1 and that was time consuming in itself.

Quick snap from AMDRIFT.COM. Car took a while to get sorted as it was having fuel/bogging issues but once that was taken care of it drove way better.

On the left is the ae101 itbs and the final part that is needed to complete the 16v head AND on the right is a snail and pretty much the reason this missile project is going to take its sweet time now..... much more than it was already taking. Just want to get back to driving my old G ride but I'll post pics of that one as well.

Took this lil guy to Pure Turbos in Oceanside to get rebuilt. Still only a gt25x but if I cant drive with the new power upgrade......then i suck! lol. Seriously, still need to try and keep pushing myself and I haven't driven the Red corolla in almost 2 years.....fml.

Filter is a must when running open itbs but it looks soooooo sick running them without filters! :D

Fitting the velocity stacks, filter adapter and t3 16v adapter to 20v itbs
Visually seeing how the T3 ITB adapter will look of course.

HKS valve springs, just a bit more than OEM but no race engine is getting put together here. Just need something that can take some abuse

Finally got another pair of Toyota pedals! love these things and now both cars can have the same :D
Got the pedal a looooong time ago, probably 2011 but I had a feeling it would get put to use.

Booster got a new paint paint job, wont post before pics because its too fugly.

Dmac offset rack spacers for my aw11 rack....... having change of plans and won't be using it on Missile 8-)

Box of goodies for the short block.

High comp short block itself.
Parts have been stored away for some time now, thanks to Jeff for the spare motor parts.
Con rods

Big port 16v. Hopefully the valve guides are in good shape but "oh well...whatever happens, happens."

I'll try to take better pics but for the mean time, I think I'll be "STREET SHARKIN' " by the end of May.

Deuces ;)

truenorican
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby truenorican » Tue May 10, 2016 5:37 am

Nice build. This will definiteley keep me motivated on my SR5 to GTS build.

Abe Cruz
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Car 2

Postby Abe Cruz » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:28 pm

Game plan now is to get my 84 missile hachi on the ground and rolling so I can get back to driving.

Soooo here's the current update on the 84.

Got some gt-s petrol lines from a buddy of mine a while back, went to the junky to get a new thread to fix it so yeah....
And its fixed.

OMG taking off the paint on this was NOT easy. For this being a 32 year old car the paint put up a good fight lol.
Using the VHT Black Pearl paint :D

Got some goodies from a fellow member on here, thanks Ron, and found my old dust shield so now I have a complete set of rear dics brakes!

Installed my booster and master, hooked up the new lines and got some Hawk brake pads and Centric rotors in the mail.

Probably the best thing i decided to do on this car and will continue to do is to clean as many bolts and nuts that i can, and send them to get plated.
I dont like rusty bolts and nuts sooooo this happened :D
Nice little touch

In a bro sort of voice - *Yeah bruh, long travel bruh.
Lil homie came out and sold the next day.

FML
Much better. Still needs work but better

And made room so these trannys went to the storage lol

Next is:
- install petrol lines
- put my old spool diff together and install
- buy front tires
- buy rear shocks
- install the old ps rack to move it around
- and move it to storage for the time being

trigun402
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby trigun402 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:58 pm

The plated nuts and bolts are a nice touch.

Abe Cruz
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Abe Cruz » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:43 pm

trigun402 wrote:The plated nuts and bolts are a nice touch.

Thank you! When I cleaned the nuts and bolts w/ my wire brush and Purple Power they came out really nice.

I placed them in the engine bay and over a few weeks they start getting surface rust and I didnt like that at all, i thought about painting them but I didn't think that would last soooooo, I looked around, found a local place that would do the plating and voila, now its sorta addicting tho lol :D

I went to the junk yard and got some extra nuts and bolts for my other car. I just need to get this car rolling and movable to make room for the other one. I'll try and do a quick build and put together on that one.

trigun402
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby trigun402 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:07 am

Looking forward to seeing what happens. :D

Abe Cruz
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Abe Cruz » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:49 pm

Trying to get around to updating this with what's going on and getting my pics together.