What Catalytic Converter to get?

masagsxr
Club4AG Regular

What Catalytic Converter to get?

Postby masagsxr » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:15 pm

Hi Folks,

Just looking for direction what catalytic converter to buy. Any recommendation on brands, particular part #? Inlet and outlet diameter? OBD1 or OBD2 cat? I'm just keeping mine clean and wouldn't want to deal with trying to get it pass. Barely pass emission 2 years ago.

Thanks

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Re: What Catalytic Converter to get?

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:30 pm

Are you looking for a bolt in cat or can you use a universal and weld it in?
I don't know a lot about cats but i do know that cheap cats tend not to last as long. You feel like you are saving money but in the long run it will cost you more.

masagsxr
Club4AG Regular

Postby masagsxr » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:25 pm

I'm not trying to save. I'm actually willing to spend $200+ for an OBDII cat if it will be way better that OBDI. Spending the $$$ on a good one is definitely a better saving than a cheap one that will fail down the line. Universal is fine. I'm looking to redo the whole downpipe cat back on mine since the previous owner didn't do a good job (I think). 3rd year owning this car and will be mine for a loooooooooooooong time.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:51 am

Magnaflow makes a bolt on cat for the ae86. I'm not sure if it's CA legal though.

masagsxr
Club4AG Regular

Postby masagsxr » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:33 am

Thanks...

No other feedbacks? I posted here on the tech section hoping to get a lot of response. I suppose cat is a cat and thats just it or no one care to bother since maybe 90% of AE86 owners have a swap and just pays someone to smog? :D

Garage7RP
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Garage7RP » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:34 pm

Here is what is available through Magna Flow
http://www.magnaflow.com/02catalytic_co ... ityear=PRE

Someone on here installed a universal OBD-II cat but not sure if it has CARB E.O. number and they said their smog readings were clean like a new vehicle.

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Postby MisterJerk » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:36 pm

AE86 is pre OBD(Onboard Diagnostic)
Depends on what state you are in. California is very strict, and they make a special converter(or they say its special)
Size of the cat(pipe diameter) depends on what exhaust size you are running. Stock cat is 2" or 50mm.
OBX headers have a 2" outlet to go to the stock cat.

meifert
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby meifert » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:55 pm

Magnaflow makes CA legal cats. However, I do think you need proof the factory one has failed or over a certain amount of miles per year.
1984 Corolla SR5.....banana on wheels
Buddy Club Spec 2 Over axle, T3 Test Pipe, T3 Bomber Bar, T3 Ultimate Rear Brace, Enkei Apache 2 wheels, (Weber carb and Cam not installed)

Cheap, good or fast.....pick two.

phanist
Club4AG Expert

Postby phanist » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:48 am

I have the highflow magnaflow but im in hawaii... Not sure about cali.
My exhaust use to make rattling cracky sound when i step ob the throttle to hard down low... It doesnt do that after i throw that magnaflow cat... But only have it for about 2month.... Dont know how long it will last...

masagsxr
Club4AG Regular

Postby masagsxr » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:56 pm

Thanks y'all. I'll probably just get a universal or a direct fit from Garage7RP's link with Magnaflow.

Thanks MisterJerk for confirming on the stock diameter. Maybe I'll go 2.25".

masagsxr
Club4AG Regular

Postby masagsxr » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:23 pm

After much research finding a good deal, I finally got one (at least I think so). It was going for $255 everywhere out there. Made a number of offers on fleebay and one accepted. $200 shipped to my door. Now to find someone to do custom cat back.

AIRWOLF
Club4AG Regular

Postby AIRWOLF » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:41 pm

I purchased a PDM RACING cat awhile back and unfortunately, the Magnaflow High Flow Cat isn't California smog legal, just as an FYI. I emailed PDM and they confirmed.

http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/toyota_corner.html

Over time, your stock catalytic converter will begin to plug up from residual oil, and from cleaning up the carbon monoxide from your hard working engine’s exhaust. Renew your car’s performance with true high flow catalytic converter that keeps the environment clean, and adds performance back to your Corolla.

Mirror finish stainless steel, high-flow catalytic converter with proper Toyota Corolla flanges welded in place. These are not universal fit type catalytic converters which rotate and slide around, but specific high-flow cats that PDM cuts to length, and welds 3/8” thick, 2.25” i.d. beefy steel flanges.

Features of this high quality Cat include:

- Recessed Cushioning Mat to help hold the catalyst firmly in place and protect it from direct exhaust flow.
- Special ½” lap joint to help create a smooth transition in and out of the converter
- 409 16 gauge stainless steel neck and body to resist corrosion and high operating temperatures.
- Mirror finish stainless steel heat shield.
- Quad ribbed body for strength from heat
- Seam welded interior on top and bottom to help minimize distortion
- High flow honeycomb catalyst for optimum flow.

Comes complete with 2 exhaust gaskets, and hardware to bolt in as a direct replacement for your OEM Toyota Catalytic converter.
UCSB Alum