povertymobile ae86 build/(s)

povertymobile
Club4AG Enthusiast

povertymobile ae86 build/(s)

Postby povertymobile » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:18 pm

Hey everybody. I have been on the board for a little now, post here and there. I got my first ae86 this year in june when one happened to appear in my area for an acceptable price, it was the coupe model however and the paint is a faded by the sun and some rust in areas. It has some little quirks but overall its a great car, I drive it all the time and enjoy it.

I bought it with intentions of just driving it around here and there but that never is just the case so I started with some mods. Got an injen intake followed by a apexi hybrid megaphone exhaust. Then I decided to straight pipe it...It was about this point I really started researching on how to get power, decided I either neither to turbo or go with a serious engine overhaul and the ITB route. I decided to go with suspension mods in the meantime while I figured out what to do with the engine. Got T3 coil overs, RCA, pan lateral bar, and 4 links. I decided to upgrade the rims to 15's that I bought some locally. This takes me up to about a few weeks back, after I start getting all the parts I decide to look on craigslist for ae86's as I will commonly do. I find a red hatch in NJ....start talking to the guy its a salvage title, but its clean so I go to see it.

I fall in love with it, and have to have it. I make a deal with the guy, and get the car towed home 2 weeks later. I try to drive the car but am told that since it was sitting for so long that the breaks are locked and the battery is dead. I wasn't worried about any of that just the body. Here is my first walk around of the car at home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFnWmhlJ ... e=youtu.be

I get it home and it wont start at all but it looks so good, minus the interior and the wheels. The interior is like a pimp my ride circa 2000 job.

I got him down on the fact that he ruined the interior. Get a battery for the car. Nothing works electronically. I look at the harnesses, practically everything has electrical tape. By a stroke of luck me and my girlfriend go car shopping for a new car for her and one of the dealerships is right by a Automotive shop with a built evo in front so I decide to check it out. I start asking about 86's and this guy starts talking to me. He sees what I am driving ( I daily a BRZ) and asks if he can use my car to fabricate an exhaust and intake for sale on their webpage. I agree, drop my car off and leave it there for 2 weeks. In the meantime, I decide to bid on a longblock for a 4agze, being the idiot that I am i don't realize its a full motor. I get the motor for a decent price and manage to get it delivered to my shop (should be there this week, if not already). I am going to have them rebuild the engine and turbo it, then drop it in this red hatch. If I have all my facts straight!

I just ordered the big brake kit, from T3 to fix the locked up breaks, I was able to drive it for the first time a few days ago and it just pulls so hard to the right its awful.

I figure I still will try and fix up my coupe and work on that here and there but I may delegate most of the work to the shop since they said they will give me a good deal. I have stopped counting about the money really now just wanna finish the project and have a bad ass 86 to race for next season. I am a little worried about the alignment being a little messed up becasue of possible accidents but Hatches are so hard to get on the east coast that I rolled the dice for now.

I will keep you all updated, there are some things I would like to change cosmentically on the outside, such as getting jdm front and rear bumper and eventually maybe repainting cuz the red isn't original thats for sure. But it is a hatch! So I am working on getting that abomination of an interior removed and just gutt the car and full cage it. I will post some more pictures when more things start to happen. I do have some parts I will post the build continues. Its gotten kinda cold out here and I just got that xbox so I have been kinda slacking. Hoping posting on here will give me some more motivation to get out there and freeze my ass off!!!!

Tora
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: povertymobile ae86 build/(s)

Postby Tora » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:45 pm

That interior is priceless.

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Postby MisterJerk » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:38 am

I love it.. Horrible interior, but you know what, i would build this thing fast as hell and rock it just like this. Let the hate flow... LOL

riddleyo
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby riddleyo » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:18 pm

That interior is like... whoa.

Nice little story thread you got going here. Fix that thing up right!

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:52 pm

Yeaaaaaahhhhh.... kind of like it :D Could use a bit more red tho.....

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

povertymobile
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby povertymobile » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:25 pm

Lol, yeah the interior is horrible. I want to rip the whole thing out. I already pulled off a door panel, but it has automatic windows, granted they dont work, but I am hoping that a new wiring job will fix all that. Being said, I still would like rip the whole thing out and cage it with some bride racing seats in the front. Either that or find a whole interior to replace that abomination with...anyone with some spare automatic door cards please let me know!!! How rare are they? I really dont wanna be stuck with even a piece of this interior it is just so atrocious. I am kinda "purist" dont even know if that word can even apply to what I am doing. but yeah I love the stock interior and to think to ruin it like this...its just beyond me...

I will keep you guys updated with the build, it looks like its gonna be a pretty penny since, I am going to source a new turbo. Honestly though, to have this car being the beast that it will be will be worth the debt i'm about to rack up!

Oh yeah to add, these pictures were taken after i exposed the original shift boot, it was covered by a......yep you guessed it same white color boot....I got half a mind to rip out the carpets and everything but I feel like I shouldnt have even removed the door card. but it was stuck in there with like some weird plastic rubber grommet thing, so I kinda had to destroy it to get it out, granted I kinda hate the interior so it felt good. but instant gratification is never a great thing....haha

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Postby MisterJerk » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:35 pm

i will take that whole interior, if you are going to trash it... lol. seriously

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:45 pm

povertymobile wrote:
I will keep you guys updated with the build, it looks like its gonna be a pretty penny since, I am going to source a new turbo. Honestly though, to have this car being the beast that it will be will be worth the debt i'm about to rack up!

How much power are you looking for? On the big turbos the advantages of BB and optimized turbine design can make a somewhat respectable improvement in spool and peak performance. If you are looking for less than 250 hp though the gains from an expensive turbo will be much smaller.
On the other side of the coin if you want a healthy new turbo then the cost to source and get a JYD rebuilt proffessionally puts the cost close enough to a new turbo to make it worth considering.
I can get Garrett, Turbonetics, HKS and most other big brands. Let me know if you do want something new or if you want help choosing a turbo.
I can also get most other parts you would need for your build. Do large orders and I can almost certainly beat any price you can find sourcing stuff separately.

povertymobile
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby povertymobile » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:58 am

Yoshi, They were going to give me a price quote today. I will PM you with it. The turbo I was looking at was the BORG WARNER 179150 EFR 6258 BALL BEARING TURBO 225-400HP T25 STAINLESS .64AR 2.5. Claims to make 225 to 400 which is just what I am looking for, start out with a lower power figure and just be able to crank up the PSI if I need to.

As for stand alone EMS I was thinking mega squirt but they were mentioning the AEM unit. I guess I will go with whatever they can teach me to tune easier. How hard is it to learn to do fuel maps? obviously its going to be something I want to do eventually.

I am going to get a Kaaz LSD, I was wondering do you think it will be necessary to get the "SC/TURBO” axle & spool kit. I was going to anyway since I am going to make alot more than just stock power.

Well I will keep you guys updated!

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:41 am

That's a big turbo. You would be waiting all day for that thing to spool up.
I'm going to guess full boost won't happen till after 5k RPM.

It has a high pressure ratio which is good for a small displacement motor, especially if you want to push it on the stock cams but for me personally it would sacrifice way to much low, mid range and response.

So the big question is what do you want?
Is 450 HP potential necessary? Do you really think you will be pushing it that far?
Is low end and response more important or is peak power more important?

Playing around on squirrel performance a little bit I think with some small changes you could hit 400 HP on a much smaller quicker spooling turbo.
The 6258 looks pretty similar to the GT3071 as far as the compressor map goes.
They have high pressure ratios which is good but they also move a much larger volume of air than you will need.
If you threw some cams in there and move the redline to 8000 and peak power from 6500 to 7500 you go from needing 33 PSI boost to needing about 26.5 to make 400 hp. This drop in PR brings you down enough to run a 2860R-2 instead of a 3076. That should get you into spool and response territory on par with a 16G which should hit full boost around 4k RPM. There should be a very noticeable difference in response and driveability between a turbo on this scale vs that of the BW or 3071 even with the small low end loss you would see from the cams.

The AEM EMS4 has recently caught my attention. I haven't researched it much but it seems like a pretty nice module for the price. If i wasn't half way through building my MS3 I would seriously consider it for my car. I think I will have almost as much money into the MS3 when all is said and done plus the time building it. I think the MS3 will have a lot more capability but I don't know how much of it I would need over what the EMS4 offers.

Coming from the AW11 world I don't know a whole lot about the rear end, what it can handle or what it's weak spots are. If you are looking for over 300 HP and or plan on bashing on it then I would suspect you would want to beef up anything you can.

RuizXIII
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby RuizXIII » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:03 am

That interior is champion car show spec circa 2001. Amazing.
If you are going to junk it, I think it should all go to Mister Jerk so someone can rock it loud and proud. :lol:
irony.cc

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Postby MisterJerk » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:52 am

It's my daily, so a lot of peeps will see/hate it. lol

povertymobile
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby povertymobile » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:56 am

MisterJerk, If your in the midatlantic region send me a PM. after its out idn what Im gonna do with it.

Yoshimitsu:

I brought up with the shop going with a smaller turbo for faster spool and boost. I am having them teardown and rebuild the motor, they are going to bore it 25mm and put in some new wiseco pistons. Was thinking about what you said and adding a more aggressive cam into the mix. They told me the Machine shop is really busy this time of year so it could take 2 weeks or 2 months. Not a bad thing for me because my budget is wearing thin, I could use the extra month or two to save some more cash but none the less, I am doing it and sparing no expense. Really the only thing I have left to do i decide what I wanna do with the interior but I might not be able to afford a full cage and seats like I originally thought, the rebuild being a little more expensive then I planned but whatever. Sounds like I am going to have a rock solid motor in a beautiful AE86.

I will post any pictures or updates I receive. Gonna have a left over motor after this, which is kind of exciting. Started the thing today, was squealing like a bitch.....happy im building a new motor for her :D....question is my tranny gonna have issues mounting up? I havent even really thought about that till today, or does it just require a new bell housing?