Carbon fiber hood chipping

#SBPandaxxL
Club4AG Regular

Carbon fiber hood chipping

Postby #SBPandaxxL » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:40 am

Making my 86 look pretty sad...but just wonder if theirs anyway I can take off the old clear coat without damaging my hood and putting the new coat on...?

rumsawatti
Club4AG Expert

Re: Carbon fiber hood chipping

Postby rumsawatti » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:16 am

What to do? Easy. Sell it to me dirt cheap :D
But in all seriousness, you have to sand it down and reclear it. Search google, they have dozens of write-ups/DIYs on reclearing carbon yourself. Or see how much a shop might charge to do it.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:12 am

If you do take this on yourself the important part will be finding out if it's a clear coat paint that is chipping or a gel coat or other resin. You will also need to figure out if it's chipping down to the fabric or if there is a layer of resin still sitting above the fabric.
If it's paint and if there is a layer of resin under it protecting the fabric then it would be pretty easy to sand it down smooth and paint clear over it. If it chips down to the fabric it would probably be best to paint over the chips first to get a little material above the fabric. Then you could sand down to a smooth layer and blend it all in then spray a final coat over the top.

If it's resin you will want to find out if it's polyester, epoxy or something else. If it's not easy to figure out then you might want to call the manufacturer.
Once you know the resin type you will want to aquire some that is similar as possible to what they used. You may even be able to buy some resin from them ensuring it will be compatible.

If there are little chips like rock divets you could just fill them in leaving it a little high and then sand it all flush after it cures. If you don't have spray equipement this could even be taken to a larger repair. If it's a thicker gel coat you could also smear layers on just like you would bondo. This will create more sanding work than spraying but for a small patch may still be easier.

#SBPandaxxL
Club4AG Regular

Postby #SBPandaxxL » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:08 pm

Damn sounds kinda complicated...but very good info thanks!!!!!