Dash refurb: what fabric?

SidekickChuck
Club4AG Expert

Re: Dash refurb: what fabric?

Postby SidekickChuck » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:20 pm

I was not the owner when this was done to the car, but if I had to guess, I would say that the old skin was removed for the cap installation. Otherwise you would have a rather large gap in the openings and on top of the cluster.

One thing to note though. If your car sits out in the sun a lot, I probably would advise against the cap since they are thin and would warp from excessive heat.
Silver/Black 1985 ae86 gts Heavens Gate Corolla
2001 Carbon Black e39 M5
89' Supra Twin Turbo 1JZ (sold)

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:35 pm

Chuck is right about different methods of flocking. Ideally, you would use a positive static charge on the part to be flocked so the individual fibers stand on one end perpendicular to the surface, thus giving a more dense covering with a more even texture.

As for wrapping with a pattern, I considered the carbon fiber weave and other patterns, but you're right it wouldn't be even in orientation unless you used separate pieces, and that seam would detract from the look, too.

So I got the faux alcantera micro suede headliner because it doesn't have a pattern and because it has a thin foam backing layer to absorb very small imperfections in the surfaced below. I just need to find some spare time....
Eric'sFreeAE86 from the old site
Knockoff Crew member #0001

RuizXIII
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby RuizXIII » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:13 am

^ Post pictures, sir!
That sounds like it would look very cool.
irony.cc

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:09 am

Just an update: the plastic pieces I was using to cover the vent openings didn't work out. The epoxy didn't hold to it as strong as I hoped, so I popped them all back out. I'll have to find a better way of filling them in; Bondo or fiberglass seem to be the next options.....either for me or the next owner lol
Eric'sFreeAE86 from the old site
Knockoff Crew member #0001

HingaSPL
Club4AG Expert

Postby HingaSPL » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:43 pm

SidekickChuck wrote:I have no idea on how the application works, but it seems there are many different ways to flock a surface? Did a quick search and it seems the applicator voltage and quality makes a big difference.

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/technic ... o-far.html

Mine turned out nicer than the one that used the fleshlight on, hahaha.

AIRWOLF
Club4AG Regular

Postby AIRWOLF » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:29 am

Does flocking attract dust?
UCSB Alum

rumsawatti
Club4AG Expert

Postby rumsawatti » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:49 am

Well, I was going to wait till it was finished and back in the car to post, but I got a little excited. Its far from great and its not 100% done, lots of blemishes here and there, but in my defense, it was my first try...
Before:
After(more or less):
The biggest problem is this top middle part as can be seen in all the pictures. Its a little wavy and bubbly. Im not sure how bad it going to show when installed but im not sure how to fix it...The vent isnt going to stay all coated in resin, I took it back out to clean it, I just wanted to make sure it could be put back in afterwards lol
Also, typically, that little clock bezel fucker shattered into a million pieces when I was installing it. Im in the market for a clock bezel if anyone has a decent strength one around.

ZINCHOTRAN
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ZINCHOTRAN » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:26 pm

I'll make use of Naugahyde. Many colors and it stretches. Not to mention the patterns look exactly like our dashes.

Any fabric store will have it. We used it extensively in our Aviation Life Support Systems shops. Hell, I even made a lot of my own wallets with the key rings from discontinued parts from the aircraft seats. You need a pair of pliers and a screwdriver to pry it open to put your keys on or take them off.

Cya'll on the drift side.

Gabriel82
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Gabriel82 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:42 am

Anyone have any experience using the ebay dash caps or other dash caps? Pix?

Rawkstar
Club4AG Regular

Postby Rawkstar » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:14 pm

I want to redo my dash also. I will most likely hydrodip it. I will keep you guys posted.

Gabriel82
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Gabriel82 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:44 pm

bump... anyone out there who has used the dash caps?

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:41 am

One thing to note though. If your car sits out in the sun a lot, I probably would advise against the cap since they are thin and would warp from excessive heat.

unless you're in the habbit of using windshield visors (like me). Makes a world of difference