Out of camber: How to fix?

Red
Club4AG Expert

Out of camber: How to fix?

Postby Red » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:56 pm

So I tried to have a front end alignment done today. Car's been handling fine but wanders just a little more than it should at 70+.

The readings were:

Left Camber, -1.0d after, -0.8d before, specified range -0.3d to 0.8d
Right Camber, 0.4d after, -0.6d before, specified range -0.3d to 0.8d

If they can't be adjusted I'm not sure how they changed, but I'm easily baffled.

The local Toy store didn't want to touch it without $2800 in front end parts and control arms. The local Sears guys had no problem, same way that no one else has ever had a problem, beyond noting the camber couldn't come into range.

I remember someone posting years ago that the front ends on these cars all hog out as they age, and a long time ago I had some front end damage which couldn't have helped, but apparently Toyota doesn't make any "fix the camber" kits. And since the car holds corners just fine, I haven't gone looking into this. But, I'm catching up on a lot of things and would like to get this fixed and back within spec.

So what can you do with an old AE88 to pull the camber back into spec? Have a frame shop pull the front end back into position? Add a kit? Ignore it?

Anyone?
-- Original owner, 1985 GT-S

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Re: Out of camber: How to fix?

Postby oldeskewltoy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:58 pm

Red... the odds are the front control arm bushings are your problem(#6)... they have deflected too much now that they are 28 years old. Toyota does show a replacement part - 48654-12010 about $32.00 each. While in there I would replace the track rod bushings(#7), as well as the sway bar bushings(#13)

#7 = 48674-12050 (12/1985 - 06/1987) 2 required $14.87
OR
48674-19105 (08/1983 - 11/1985) 2 required $45.55

#13 = 48817-20020 8 required about $3 each

install should be time to do just the lower control arms BECAUSE all the other parts must be disassembled to get to the pivot bushing... so no extra time should be charged therefore to use new parts during re-assembly..... (this last bit you might need to negotiate...)
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro

Postby totta crolla » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:16 am

Changing the caster angle will change the camber angle at the same time.
Any tiny amount of offset in the engine crossmember will lead to a difference in camber angles.

Russ
Club4AG Regular

Postby Russ » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:04 am

A bent spindle was my issue that caused uneven camber. I took a chance on some junkyard strut casings a few years back when you could still find them and now the camber is even between L and R says the laser machine.

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:36 pm

Parts, per the above.
Or a turnbuckle & whatever ya got laying around to pull the struts together.
Or or elongate the strut mount bolt holes.

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:33 pm

So, a frame jig to check that it does or doesn't need frame work, followed by parts if the frame isn't the problem?

(Since the camber is a long standing issue, I'm betting it isn't just recent bushing wear.)

Any idea if those parts are still available, and at what cost?

assassin10000
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby assassin10000 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:13 pm

No jig necessary. Just call around and find a shop with a frame rack, its based on measurements which can be found in the fsm. The front crossmember can also be loosened and pried a little one direction or the other to even it out.

Checking your bushings is free. They can have been bad for a long long time if oem.

Andrew

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:40 pm

I've had good luck in having met a few really competent front end shops over the years, the kind of guys that would spot a bad bushing if it was that simple. OTOH I don't have a handy local frame shop, so maybe I'll start by looking for one of those, and just paying the man to confirm the numbers are on or off. I think they're in the BACK of my FSM, not the front, but that shouldn't be a problem. Once we get past the "Diesel? Celica? FWD?" part of it.<G>

Of course, while they're measuring...no sense doing that unless I'm ready to pay the man to "takee fixee" at the same time, right? <G>

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:59 am

Been in a wreck? Different tire wear left to right?
Just drive it.

Those oversize crossmember holes can can change the numbers quite a bit.
Anyone use or think about use that DIY polywhatever motor mount stuff for the " control arm bushings are your problem(#6)." problem?

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:47 pm

Been in a wreck, yes, not so much with this car though. Although someone did mistake me for an empty piece of road and do a lot of front end damage 20-odd years ago.

It drives fine. Has been driving fine. I'm just working down the punch list trying to get ahold of everything that I can, while I can. If a little squeeze, or a couple of bushings that haven't been discontinued yet but probably will be soon, will make it right? wtf, why not do it while I can?