Dropping in oem LSD and rebuilding rear end

DatGuy217

Dropping in oem LSD and rebuilding rear end

Postby DatGuy217 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:28 am

Ok I have a question. I'm putting an oem LSD into my non LSD rearend, I have the rear end rebuild kit I got from cabe toyota is that all I need? Is there anything else needed? I've already shorten my axles. Thanks

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Re: Dropping in oem LSD and rebuilding rear end

Postby gotzoom? » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:47 am

It's likely that the lsd you have is dead if it hasn't been rebuilt, so I would take this opportunity to rebuild it. It is possible that you have chipped or otherwise damaged teeth on your ring & pinion gear, so I would make sure to have access to one in case you end up needing it. If you don't have the right tools, I wouldn't attempt it yourself. You're best taking it to a rearend shop that will have the proper tools. If you do have the tools, it's not hard to do, but getting the backlash set properly is a bit tedious. Be sure and read over the service manual several times to make sure you understand the procedure. Personally, I would have a second crush sleeve handy just in case you over torque the one you have. It's easy to do, and once you overtorque it, you can't go back.

DatGuy217

Postby DatGuy217 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:07 am

Thanks for your answer. I should be able to do it without a problem since I work at a machine shop. I was planning on making a solid pinion sleeve but I don't know how thick I should make it. I've got the rear end rebuild kit just wondering what else would I need to swap in the LSD. Trying to make the next drift event coming up in 3 weeks

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:17 pm

Here is a list of all the parts that you should replace, starting from the pinion flange:

Staked nut
Seal
Outer pinion bearing and race
Crush Sleeve
Inner pinion bearing and race
Diff bearings and races (2)

All of the rest of the parts are reusable. Since you're in there, you might as well change the axle seals too.

You will need a couple specialized tools in addition to ones that you probably have already. The first is a lb/in torque wrench, either pointer or dial type. You will use that to measure the pinion bearing preload. You'll need to either crush the sleeve or shim the solid spacer to get to the torque numbers in the service manual. The second tool you will need is a dial gauge. That is used to measure the backlash. Measure it several times to make sure it's within spec from the service manual. It will likely change when you torque the cap bolts down, so be sure to measure it after torquing everything down. You will also need a propane torch or something similar to heat the ring gear to get it to come off the old diff and get it to slide over the new diff. If you don't have access to those tools, I wouldn't crack it open. If the preload and/or backlash are not set properly, it's likely that you will destroy your ring and pinion gear, or at least have a very noisy rearend after you're done.

DatGuy217

Postby DatGuy217 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:40 am

Sweet thanks man. You've been really helpful on clarifying on what I need. I have all the tools to do the job. I'm a cnc machinist so setting up things with a dial indicator is a daily thing. I have all the items you've listed so everything is good to go. Thanks again

Spoold86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Spoold86 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:45 pm

rear differential rebuilding is best left to those with experience, rebuilding it yourself is cool and all but if you dont do the messurements right you could wind up ruining your R&P. Backlash, pinion depth etc.if you are doing it yourself my advice is to not cheap out on the percision tools and to buy more than one crush sleeve incase you torque the bearing preload too much in which case what ever you do don't back off.

DatGuy217

Postby DatGuy217 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:48 am

Thanks for the advice but I don't cheap out on anything. Like I said I'm a machinist so I have all the precision tooling needed for the job. I understand majority of people might not be able to do the job cause of tooling and the know how basic understanding of dialing in a part. I'm more than confident that I can do the job with no problem.
Oh yeah I'm waiting on my Trd solid pinion sleeve to come in. Once it comes in I'm planning on reproducing the parts using 4140 and getting them nitride coated.

Rolldriftae86

Postby Rolldriftae86 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:33 am

Would you be able to this same mini rebuild on a gts complete rear assembly, had an accident and i think i have to replace the whole thing. But two of my other buddies advise i just replace one of the hold brackets that is tweak from the accidentt... I also pick up an sr5 complete pumpkin axel just in case... let me know what i can do or were i can get it fixed...located in the Long beach area...