recently purchased a 1986 corolla gts

povertymobile
Club4AG Enthusiast

recently purchased a 1986 corolla gts

Postby povertymobile » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:46 am

Hey everybody. Long time fan of the car finally had one appear in my area and I went to look and couldn't pass it up. I'll post some photos of it on here later. Anyway, the engine has 169k on it maybe 180k but it runs pretty good. However at about 4000 rpm there is a strange pinging noise from the engine. Could this be a worn head gasket? Also the gas gauge is pretty messed up just put 30 dollars in the tank and it says its empty. Anyone know some quick fixes?

idreamofdrifting
Club4AG MASTER

Re: recently purchased a 1986 corolla gts

Postby idreamofdrifting » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:32 pm

povertymobile wrote:Hey everybody. Long time fan of the car finally had one appear in my area and I went to look and couldn't pass it up. I'll post some photos of it on here later. Anyway, the engine has 169k on it maybe 180k but it runs pretty good. However at about 4000 rpm there is a strange pinging noise from the engine. Could this be a worn head gasket? Also the gas gauge is pretty messed up just put 30 dollars in the tank and it says its empty. Anyone know some quick fixes?

Your fuel sender might need replacing.

btw your name.... povertymobile + owning an AE86.....one word. Perfect. :lol:

riddleyo
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby riddleyo » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:07 pm

4000 - isn't that when TVIS kicks in?

T.C
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby T.C » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:42 am

Make sure your timing is correct, ive notice that happen to a few people before

mustangraptor03
Club4AG Regular

Postby mustangraptor03 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:59 am

riddleyo wrote:4000 - isn't that when TVIS kicks in?

T-VIS kicks in at 4400 RPM.

povertymobile
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby povertymobile » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:21 am

idreamofdrifting wrote:
povertymobile wrote:Hey everybody. Long time fan of the car finally had one appear in my area and I went to look and couldn't pass it up. I'll post some photos of it on here later. Anyway, the engine has 169k on it maybe 180k but it runs pretty good. However at about 4000 rpm there is a strange pinging noise from the engine. Could this be a worn head gasket? Also the gas gauge is pretty messed up just put 30 dollars in the tank and it says its empty. Anyone know some quick fixes?

Your fuel sender might need replacing.

btw your name.... povertymobile + owning an AE86.....one word. Perfect. :lol:

haha thanks man, its been my handle since I was kid and now it really suits me. I will look into replacing the fuel sensor, I just got a copy of the shop manual yesterday so that is a good place to start I figure.

T.C wrote:Make sure your timing is correct, ive notice that happen to a few people before

What do you mean by my timing being correct? Could the TVIS just sound kind of crappy because its old? Its a really whiny noise but I don't think its really effecting performance. I have been driving it every day since I bought it.

Thanks for the help guys. Love the car. I will post some photos up today.