What is better? 20v head with ITBS or just Putting Carbs

HATEMY7
Club4AG Regular

What is better? 20v head with ITBS or just Putting Carbs

Postby HATEMY7 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:38 pm

What is better 20v head with ITB's or Carburators for my 4AGE?

Well the reason why is ask because I want to make the most power out of my 4age motor. Its rebuilt and going through the breaking period.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

Barry
Club4AG Regular

Re: What is better? 20v head with ITBS or just Putting Carbs

Postby Barry » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:49 pm

ITB's will be quicker and easier to tune. Will also allow for temperature and altitude compensation fueling maps.. With carbs you cannot easily adjust for air temperature and altitude without rejetting/adjusting every time.
-barry
Moderator - 9,500rpm club
1986 Corolla GT-S hatch, AE101, Toda 272, Haltech E8, etc (retired)
1992 Lexus SC400, LS2 Swap
2002 Audi A4 1.8t, GT2867R, 2Liter Stroked

canyon_carvers
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby canyon_carvers » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:18 pm

Every enthusiast will have different opinions on engine set up... ITBs or sidedraft carbs.? Both can be easily tune if you know what you are doing. A 16v can make just as much or more power then a 20v and that will all depend in the tuning and what kind of cool parts you want to put in it. I'm running sidedraft carbs w/cams on my 86 and tuning, jetting, and adjustments to carbs don't take long once you master it. Air temperature and altitude gotta be a huge dramatic change for the carbs to act funny... they're not that picky. The response and performance is phenomenal and that would depend (again) on what you're doing to your engine. Cost is also another thing and that would depend on how you source the parts. In my case, carbs was the BIG BANG for the buck!

HATEMY7
Club4AG Regular

Postby HATEMY7 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:31 pm

Oh ok kool. I might just do the carb thing. But let me ask you this , how much does a full carb set run? And what is the best carb set for these 4ag

canyon_carvers
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby canyon_carvers » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:28 pm

Used or rebuilt carbs can start from $500-$800 and brand new can be from $900-$1400. It depends on what kind of carbs you're going to get. You can go with old school carbs or you can go with the latest and greatest technology carbs. Intake is avalailbe for the old school carbs but if you get a set of (example) Keihin carbs you'll have to make or modified a intake for it. I'm running a set of 40mm Mikuni solex carbs w/mikuni intake manifold.
example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weber-Toyota-4a ... 597wt_1060
Then you'll have to get msd ignition box and all the necessary parts for the carb set up. I once did a build thread on carb conversion but look like it's gone since the forum crashed. I'll make a build again soon.
here is a video of my carb set up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTmnqIQ7AWI

HATEMY7
Club4AG Regular

Postby HATEMY7 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:37 pm

Ill see if I can find someone to trade me for my fuel injection...

DJManila
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby DJManila » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:27 pm

canyon_carvers wrote:Used or rebuilt carbs can start from $500-$800 and brand new can be from $900-$1400. It depends on what kind of carbs you're going to get. You can go with old school carbs or you can go with the latest and greatest technology carbs. Intake is avalailbe for the old school carbs but if you get a set of (example) Keihin carbs you'll have to make or modified a intake for it. I'm running a set of 40mm Mikuni solex carbs w/mikuni intake manifold.
example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weber-Toyota-4a ... 597wt_1060
Then you'll have to get msd ignition box and all the necessary parts for the carb set up. I once did a build thread on carb conversion but look like it's gone since the forum crashed. I'll make a build again soon.
here is a video of my carb set up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTmnqIQ7AWI

how much HP do you estimate with your set up? Just cams and carbs?
Formerly known as seanperia

HATEMY7
Club4AG Regular

Postby HATEMY7 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:01 pm

^ yeah very good question.

canyon_carvers
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby canyon_carvers » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:08 pm

I hope you're not expecting a huge hp increase by simply converting to carbs or adding ITBs to your 4age because you're not.. Adding ITBs or converting over to sidedraft is not going to give you that 10 plus horse power. The only thing you'll gain from it is throttle response! and delicious sound... Like I keep saying, it all depends on your engine, cams,compression.. etc.. TUNING. If you don't want to mess with megasquirt ems, AEM, etc... and you're more welling to tune your engine mechanically then sidedraft would be your choice. There's not a lot of hard wiring involve and it's quite simple. If you want injected ITBs and you have a lot of knowledge with wiring up or tuning Megasquirt and all the rest of the real nice EMS along with your engine set up, then injected ITB it is... In any event, I'll post up graphs and HP on my set up soon..

HATEMY7
Club4AG Regular

Postby HATEMY7 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:07 am

Oh ok thanks for the info!!!!

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:23 am

They are both headaches. Do you want a wiring headache or a jetting headache? With the right supporting mods, theses perform well. On an otherwise stock engine it's kind of a waste, but they look and sound CCCOOOOOOLLLLLIO!
Eric'sFreeAE86 from the old site
Knockoff Crew member #0001

HATEMY7
Club4AG Regular

Postby HATEMY7 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:41 am

I am actually fully built. Currently pistons are gapped for boost but I do plan on changing to a high comp and ITBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!arrrrggghhhh power

DJManila
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby DJManila » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:45 pm

canyon_carvers wrote:I hope you're not expecting a huge hp increase by simply converting to carbs or adding ITBs to your 4age because you're not.. Adding ITBs or converting over to sidedraft is not going to give you that 10 plus horse power. The only thing you'll gain from it is throttle response! and delicious sound... Like I keep saying, it all depends on your engine, cams,compression.. etc.. TUNING. If you don't want to mess with megasquirt ems, AEM, etc... and you're more welling to tune your engine mechanically then sidedraft would be your choice. There's not a lot of hard wiring involve and it's quite simple. If you want injected ITBs and you have a lot of knowledge with wiring up or tuning Megasquirt and all the rest of the real nice EMS along with your engine set up, then injected ITB it is... In any event, I'll post up graphs and HP on my set up soon..

I was just wondering the output with 268 cams. Did you have any other mods?
Formerly known as seanperia

HATEMY7
Club4AG Regular

Postby HATEMY7 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:08 pm

It's sporting Carillo pistons, Godspeed H-beam rods, ARP head studs, ACL bearings, HKS valve springs, Colt Cam camshafts, oil galleys in the crank (42mm) had the ball bearing seals removed and then tapped and hex plug screws set. The crank was modified to induce better laminar oil flow where there was a 90° turn in the galley.

The pistons and rods all came within .4-.5 grams of each .

The rings were gapped for boost (top ring .019"/.49mm & second ring .020"/.52mm)

I will change pistons soon to go high compression. With ITB's

But that's what is on my motor. Most likely I still need to build the head c, correct!?