Installing new rear window seal for coupe

EvoSolley
Club4AG Enthusiast

Installing new rear window seal for coupe

Postby EvoSolley » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:28 am

Hey everyone,

This weekend (weather permitting), I will be Installing a new rear window seal for my AE86 coupe. I had a couple of questions before i start.

I will probably cut the existing window seal out since i have a used and brand new one.
Rust has developed in the 2 bottom corners of the rear window area. I have purchased a por-15 starter kit to remove, stop and prevent future rust from forming (hopefully)
I will Bondo over the treated area to make it nice and smooth then paint over that to finish.

When re applying the window seal, does anyone have any suggestions or advise on how to do this? Also, what kind of sealant should be applied under the weather stripping to make a tight seal?

Any advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated. this is my first time replacing a rear window seal so would like to be prepared ahead of time. :D
Last edited by EvoSolley on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EvoSolley
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Installing new rear window seal for coupe

Postby EvoSolley » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:40 am

anyone?

EvoSolley
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby EvoSolley » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:43 am

I will be pulling the glass today. I think i understand the whole process except for the last bit of install. from repair manuals I have been looking at, I noticed that they say to apply adhesive between the glass and weatherstripping, as well as the body and weatherstripping after the glass is installed and in place. I have also read that for our cars, we don't have to do this step because the weatherstripping itself takes care of everything??

anyways, what kind of adhesive should I use for this step or do i even need to??

-Thanks!

Project9

Postby Project9 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:48 am

Looking forward to swing how this turns out. Good luck

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:40 am

The weatherstripping is self sealing, the only glue/adhesive stuff is for windows without it, or for those that have re-used the old hardened weatherstripping & it needs some help.

EvoSolley
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby EvoSolley » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:31 pm

allencr wrote:The weatherstripping is self sealing, the only glue/adhesive stuff is for windows without it, or for those that have re-used the old hardened weatherstripping & it needs some help.

Thanks for the info! I successfully pulled the rear glass an weatherstripping today, and are really relieved that the rust is not much worse than what is currently viewable. I was really worried that it was going to be bad. tomorrow i sand down rust and por 15 the crap outta it haha. Ill post pics tomorrow morning encase anyone is interested.

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:57 pm

Try any factory manual for any car that's over25 years old, that should have some kinda window instructions pre-gluein.
Soap/go-jo & string to flip the lip over the frame & 2 people working together are all I can suggest. Old ladies do it in 20 seconds on assembly lines with the biggest non-nerf hammer you'll ever see. It's amazing and also scary about how much glass can flex.
Also, Youtube might have some watchable stuff.

EvoSolley
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby EvoSolley » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:26 am

allencr wrote:Try any factory manual for any car that's over25 years old, that should have some kinda window instructions pre-gluein.
Soap/go-jo & string to flip the lip over the frame & 2 people working together are all I can suggest. Old ladies do it in 20 seconds on assembly lines with the biggest non-nerf hammer you'll ever see. It's amazing and also scary about how much glass can flex.
Also, Youtube might have some watchable stuff.

Thanks again for the info. before i started i looked at the AE86 manual on http://www.aeu86.org/index/technical-ae ... topic=5158 (great source of information). I followed the section under body rear glass removal and it was a big help. only issue i am having is the last step suggests putting adhesive between the glass and weatherstripping as well ans the body and weatherstripping. It gives a part number but it doesn't exist in Toyota db to my knowledge.

Anyways here are the damage results, I'm actually kind of relieved that it is not as bad as i had originally thought. I thought for sure when i took off the seal, almost all of the lip would be gone. luckily this was not the case! However i still have quite a bit of work ahead of me. I might try and see if my buddy with a welder can come over and weld up the worst side up a little better. if not, then i guess i will go with por15 and some Bondo to seal up the holes. no idea what that white putty like material is between the two lips. I now know for sure that the quarter panel was replaced though. This could explain a small warp i have in a hood. looks like my baby was in a wreck before! oh well lol.

Pics:

cleaned up a little, still have to do more...
Last edited by EvoSolley on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EvoSolley
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby EvoSolley » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:29 am

Just in case anyone was interested, got the body work done, and weatherstripping put in! No leaks and it has rained for 3 days straight haha. I ended up not using the adhesive sealant but I am not experiencing any leaks.

(this is a fiberglass based filler infused with Kevlar.....apparently its really frigging strong, rust resistant and waterproof :D

ripped the edge of the seal just a little on install while pulling a string to set the seal. I was so upset :evil: :evil: :evil: but thankfully what was left still formed a complete seal! :D )

EvoSolley
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby EvoSolley » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:31 am

Oh and put this on while she was in surgery...