problem shifting into gear

broku-hachi
Club4AG Enthusiast

problem shifting into gear

Postby broku-hachi » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:03 pm

whats up. Was wondering if anyone would have some insight on a problem I have.

The trans doesn't seem to engage into gear. I don't think it is the clutch master or slave. I can see them operating properly when pushing in the clutch pedal. Also when the car is off and in first gear, I can manually push the car backwards. Likewise when in reverse I can push it forward.

The car has been parked for quite some time now if that helps any.

Thanks.

jondee86

Re: problem shifting into gear

Postby jondee86 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:51 am

If you try and push the car in first or reverse, it should be damn near impossible
to move it more than a few inches. If you can move it easily like it was in neutral,
then the clutch is stuck in the disengaged position.

It may pay to get under the car and see if the rubber boot on the slave cylinder
is full of hydraulic fluid. I had a situation once where the slave was full of crud and
the piston got stuck and wouldn't retract. But when that happens the pedal gets
real weak and easy to push... you would notice that.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

broku-hachi
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby broku-hachi » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:42 pm

Thanks jondee

Just got out from under the car to check the slave, no fluid/crud build up. I unbolted the slave to see if maybe the clutch fork was stuck but it could move freely as well.

Oh well, but since I will be dropping the trans might as well buy some new parts ay? haha

taroroot
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby taroroot » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:46 pm

broku-hachi wrote:Thanks jondee

Just got out from under the car to check the slave, no fluid/crud build up. I unbolted the slave to see if maybe the clutch fork was stuck but it could move freely as well.

Oh well, but since I will be dropping the trans might as well buy some new parts ay? haha

Have you tried in other gears? If its doing it only in 1st & reverse then somethings wrong with tranny, maybe broken shift fork, since 1st & reverse share same gear. If it does it in all gears, then I'd suspect the clutch, which would be more likely.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:52 pm

Bit of a strange one :? Normally if the box is in a low gear you can't move the car
more than a few inches before the engine compression makes it too difficult to push.
If you can move it freely for a car length when it is in gear with the clutch out, then
the clutch is not connecting the engine to the gearbox. As said, try all the gears to
get the full picture, engine running and not running.

What happens if you put it in gear and crank the engine ? Best to try that on your
driveway just in case it starts and the car wants to go somewhere :)

It is possible for the clutch plate to stick to the flywheel if the car has been in storage
for a long time. That makes it impossible to select a gear with the engine running,
but doesn't explain being able to push the car in gear.

Cheers... jondee86

broku-hachi
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby broku-hachi » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:08 pm

Also I forgot to mention, with the car running, I could cycle through the gears without pushing the clutch pedal.

taroroot
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby taroroot » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:13 pm

broku-hachi wrote:Also I forgot to mention, with the car running, I could cycle through the gears without pushing the clutch pedal.

That definitely sounds like something with the clutch, thered have to be something catastrophically wrong with tranny to cause that.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:06 pm

Ahhh... maybe the clutch went "over-center" and stays disengaged no matter what.
That can happen with a very worn clutch plate... very unusual, but possible. You are
going to have to drop the tranny and get the clutch and pressure plate out for a look.

Before you do that though, make sure that the slave is actually retracting fully and
taking the pressure off the end of the fork. Bleed some fluid out of the slave to make
sure that it is not holding pressure on the fork to keep the clutch disengaged. If the
fork moves back towards the slave when you bleed the slave, nip up the bleeder and
put the car in gear without touching the clutch pedal or starting the engine. Try
rolling the car and see if there is any difference.

Cheers... jondee86

broku-hachi
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby broku-hachi » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:29 pm

update.

I cracked the clutch line a little to relieve some pressure, unbolted the slave, and gave the clutch fork a good shake back and forth. Seemed to loosen up what ever was stuck. The car was able to drive up and down the road afterwards.

It is still a little unsettling that the problem might happen again later so I will still end up dropping the trans to take a look.

taroroot
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby taroroot » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:32 pm

Sounds like maybe the throwout bearing and input shaft is gunked up.

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:21 am

Did the pedal feel abnormally hard, like just a bit'a free play and then pretty stiff & the same feel all the way down to the floor?
The master has the ability to gulp in extra fluid when the pedal is suddenly released and the slave piston is a bit sticky, or the flex hose is kinked or swollen inside, restricting the flow back from the slave to the MC. The extra fluid doesn't let the slave fully return.
When it first happened, was the slave's rod & clutch fork loose or seemingly under pressure?
Just crack the bleeder a bit & relieve the pressure if it happens again.
http://www.club4ag.com/technical_main.htm
Extinct //home.clear.net.nz/pages/phil.bradshaw RIP
http://www.oocities.org/motorcity/7177/tech.html
http://www.billzilla.org/carindex.htm
Extinct //my-acoustic.com/Car RIP

F**K RUSSIA