(SOLVED) need help with this strut banging noise VIDEO. (Solved!)

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro
Posts: 512
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:56 pm
Location: Memphis

(SOLVED) need help with this strut banging noise VIDEO. (Solved!)

Postby notnilc20 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:53 pm

Everytime i hit a bump on the passenger side front suspension it makes a loud banging noise.

I took the wheel off and let the suspension hang and when i move the suspension up and down there is some play between the top nut and the large bearing in the camber plate. This is where I'm guessing the noise is coming from . Do I need a bigger spacer between the top of the top hat and camber plate? Here is a video to show what I mean. Thanks in advance for your help.

https://youtu.be/1LlvvEL44V8

T3 weld on coilover kit
Agx shock inserts
Tein camber plates.
Last edited by notnilc20 on Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.


scalpel
Club4AG Enthusiast
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 6:45 am

Re: NEED HELP with this strut banging noise VIDEO

Postby scalpel » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:10 pm

:( im not sure but I hope you get this fixed stat buddy

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro
Posts: 512
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:56 pm
Location: Memphis

Re: NEED HELP with this strut banging noise VIDEO

Postby notnilc20 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:58 pm

scalpel wrote::( im not sure but I hope you get this fixed stat buddy


Yeah....it's terribly annoying.

User avatar
jondee86
Moderator
Posts: 2226
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: NEED HELP with this strut banging noise VIDEO

Postby jondee86 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:19 am

Using this drawing as a reference...

Image

... it appears that the spacer/sleeve supplied is too long for the spherical bearing. That
"tophat" bushing should slip up inside the bearing inner race so that the flange on the sleeve
rests against the bottom edge if the inner race. The top edge of the sleeve should finish up
a fraction below the top edge of the inner race.

Then, when you tighten the nut down it will press on the inner race and clamp the inner race
firmly between the nut and the flange on the sleeve. At the same time, the nut will be trying
to pull the rod up thru the sleeve, so the whole assembly gets clamped together. When the
suspension moves the only moving part in the camber plate will be the inner race of the
spherical bearing, either by rotating or changing its angle inside the outer race.

So if this makes sense, you will either have to get some shorter bushings from T3 or have a
bit machined off the ones you have.

Just as a matter of interest, does the other side have the same amount of slop ?

Cheers... jondee86
Give a person a fish, they eat for a day. Suggest they search before posting, and they learn a skill for a lifetime.

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.


notnilc20
Club4AG Pro
Posts: 512
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:56 pm
Location: Memphis

Re: NEED HELP with this strut banging noise VIDEO

Postby notnilc20 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:58 pm

jondee86 wrote:Using this drawing as a reference...

Image

... it appears that the spacer/sleeve supplied is too long for the spherical bearing. That
"tophat" bushing should slip up inside the bearing inner race so that the flange on the sleeve
rests against the bottom edge if the inner race. The top edge of the sleeve should finish up
a fraction below the top edge of the inner race.

Then, when you tighten the nut down it will press on the inner race and clamp the inner race
firmly between the nut and the flange on the sleeve. At the same time, the nut will be trying
to pull the rod up thru the sleeve, so the whole assembly gets clamped together. When the
suspension moves the only moving part in the camber plate will be the inner race of the
spherical bearing, either by rotating or changing its angle inside the outer race.

So if this makes sense, you will either have to get some shorter bushings from T3 or have a
bit machined off the ones you have.

Just as a matter of interest, does the other side have the same amount of slop ?

Cheers... jondee86


Ok...thank you Jondee86 for the reply. The other side doesn't have the same amount of slop for some reason. But i also noticed that the troubled side gland nut doesn't go down as far as the driver side shock. So i wonder if i adjust the spacers i used inside the passenger side shock tube, if that would help?

Also, here is another clip me putting it together..... it's about a minute long. But you will see the hardware provided etc. Also, The top nut has a sleeve on it that when threaded on the sleeve fits between the bearing and shock shaft... Thanks for your insight... appreciated as always.
https://youtu.be/E_qDxwhYwxc

User avatar
jondee86
Moderator
Posts: 2226
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: NEED HELP with this strut banging noise VIDEO

Postby jondee86 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:19 pm

OK... drawing is misleading in that case. Looking at the vid of you assembling the
strut, I can see that the tophat bushing is not used. Instead you have an elongated
nut that forms the bushing. So, I'd guess that you missed the spacer that should have
gone under the spherical bearing. Now the nut is probably just threading on until it
runs out of thread instead of clamping the bearing between the nut and spacer.

Worth a look :)

Cheers... jondee86
Give a person a fish, they eat for a day. Suggest they search before posting, and they learn a skill for a lifetime.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro
Posts: 512
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:56 pm
Location: Memphis

Re: NEED HELP with this strut banging noise VIDEO

Postby notnilc20 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:49 pm

jondee86 wrote:OK... drawing is misleading in that case. Looking at the vid of you assembling the
strut, I can see that the tophat bushing is not used. Instead you have an elongated
nut that forms the bushing. So, I'd guess that you missed the spacer that should have
gone under the spherical bearing. Now the nut is probably just threading on until it
runs out of thread instead of clamping the bearing between the nut and spacer.

Worth a look :)

Cheers... jondee86


Ok i'm gonna take it apart on my next day off from work and see what I can figure out.....i appreciate your time....thanks.

Deuce Cam
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:41 pm
Location: AZ

Re: NEED HELP with this strut banging noise VIDEO

Postby Deuce Cam » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:05 pm

After looking at the vids i agree with jondee86. If the top nut/bushing is on all the way - because you've run out of thread (not good btw) - then it has to be a spacing issue under the bearing. Maybe you forgot the spacer, or its the wrong size...

Those are t3 spring top hats, right? Do they clear the tein spacer?

I thought tein/cusco plates were meant to be used with fixed spring top hats, not the floating type like t3/gc. Not saying it wont/doesnt work, just throwing out ideas.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro
Posts: 512
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:56 pm
Location: Memphis

Re: NEED HELP with this strut banging noise VIDEO

Postby notnilc20 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:02 pm

Deuce Cam wrote:After looking at the vids i agree with jondee86. If the top nut/bushing is on all the way - because you've run out of thread (not good btw) - then it has to be a spacing issue under the bearing. Maybe you forgot the spacer, or its the wrong size...

Those are t3 spring top hats, right? Do they clear the tein spacer?

I thought tein/cusco plates were meant to be used with fixed spring top hats, not the floating type like t3/gc. Not saying it wont/doesnt work, just throwing out ideas.


Thanks Deuce....yeah I'm gonna look at it Monday. If it is a spacing issue below the bearing as suggested....where could i get one that will fit properly? Thanks.

To answer your questions, yes t3 top hats and yes I believe they clear the spacers.
Last edited by notnilc20 on Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deuce Cam
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:41 pm
Location: AZ

Re: NEED HELP with this strut banging noise VIDEO

Postby Deuce Cam » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:19 pm

Im assuming the problem will be apparent when you go over everything. It doesnt make sense that this issue would only be on one side if the spacers were the wrong size.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro
Posts: 512
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:56 pm
Location: Memphis

Re: NEED HELP with this strut banging noise VIDEO

Postby notnilc20 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:36 pm

Deuce Cam wrote:Im assuming the problem will be apparent when you go over everything. It doesnt make sense that this issue would only be on one side if the spacers were the wrong size.
jondee86 wrote:OK... drawing is misleading in that case. Looking at the vid of you assembling the
strut, I can see that the tophat bushing is not used. Instead you have an elongated
nut that forms the bushing. So, I'd guess that you missed the spacer that should have
gone under the spherical bearing. Now the nut is probably just threading on until it
runs out of thread instead of clamping the bearing between the nut and spacer.

Worth a look :)

Cheers... jondee86


Ok i took it apart today and yes, it was not properly spaced....the reason being is because the top nut was not fastening down all the way because a spot on the threads on the inside of the top nut was messed up so it was catching before it fastened all the way down. So I just had to modify a 5/8 wrench in order to fit to hold the shock shaft from turning and used an impact gun to get the nut all the way down....i fixed the threads first though....

Anyway, no more noises and I just wanna say thanks for you guys taking the time to help a another brother out.

scalpel
Club4AG Enthusiast
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 6:45 am

Re: (SOLVED) need help with this strut banging noise VIDEO. (Solved!)

Postby scalpel » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:40 pm

Yay glad this got solved

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.



Return to “TECH: Corolla AE86”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests