Name this header

twotoedbandit
Club4AG Enthusiast

Name this header

Postby twotoedbandit » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Hey guys, was searching for the old header thread but I couldn't find it. If I'm missing it, I apologize in advance. I have what I believe to be either a 1st gen trd header or a copy of the original design. Just hoping someone can shed some light on which header it is. I currently have a 4-1 piece of crap bps header on my 20v and was thinking I might clean this one up and throw it on until I can get a better one. Opinions welcome..
Here are the pics:
Untitled by Twotoedbandit, on Flickr
A previous owner did a custom exhaust on it and welded a slip fit pipe to delete the cat, but other than that the welds look good, just serious surface rust to blast off. Alright guys, who knows what it is?

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Re: Name this header

Postby oldeskewltoy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:06 pm

looks a lot like a Pacesetter... it might also be a modified 4/2/1 TRD header

Pacesetter

TRD from the TRD catalog...
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

twotoedbandit
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby twotoedbandit » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:28 pm

hmm, I'll have to take a better look at it. I thought it might be a copy until I came across some pics of someone's trd 4-2-1 for sale thread from a while back that had a close up of the flange and showed the same style spot welds. Wish there was a way to know for sure. Were there fitment issues with the pacesetter? Because this one fit perfectly on the 16v it came off of. No clearance or egr issues.

twotoedbandit
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby twotoedbandit » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:42 pm

here is the thread I was referencing. http://www.hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26644
I guess my question is, was the trd 4-2-1 all one piece or was it a slip fit that could be welded in place, similar to the pacesetter? Thanks for the help guys, I might just be trying to convince myself that its a trd!

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:58 pm

Check the tabs and how they line up with the stock heat shield. If they aren't even close, I'd bet it is a Pace Setter.

twotoedbandit
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby twotoedbandit » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:10 pm

The top two tabs line up with the heat shield fine, anyone have better pics of the trd? I would like to see how the tabs on the trd attach in better detail. On further examination, the bends that the black arrows are pointing at in the pacesetter picture look a bit different from mine as well. The primaries from 1 and four on the pacesetter has a notable bend fairly close to the primaries from 2-3 before it goes into the last collector. The 1-4 bend on this one seems to be further from the second collector, tucking behind the pipes from 2-3. Guess it doesn't really matter as the designs are pretty close, it's just gonna bother me not knowing!
Also, the bottom of the car this came off of was pretty beat, which I think is why the exhaust was completely custom done. I'm guessing someone smashed the bottom of the header and the the exhaust pretty hard. Makes it harder for me to decide if it was a two-piece or a custom piece welded to the exhaust. The bottom piece does look newer than the rest though. Much less surface rust and a different wall thickness, looks like generic exhaust piping if that matters. Thanks, keep the suggestions coming!