Rear toe mishaps!

AlexFourTwenty
Club4AG Regular

Rear toe mishaps!

Postby AlexFourTwenty » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:40 pm

So today strangely noticed I have toe in on the left and toe out on the right almost like the diff is tilted horizontally. Can this be the 4 link? They’re stock bars so I don’t see why it would do this however it does have some homemade rubber bushings for the 4 link. Made out of tractor tires or some Uber strong rubber from some sort of tires. Don’t ask. It’s a thing here in the Dominican Republic. Anyway what else can cause this rear axle mistracking? It’s visisble to the eye because I stood in front of the wheels and looked from above and saw it. Also this is an ae86 so it have live axle. Just clarifying that up lol

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Re: Rear toe mishaps!

Postby Nick94tt » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:03 pm

If the car is lowered it shifts the axle out laterally as you go lower. (Why you see bent stock and adjustable panhard bars tonproperly center the axle)

If the bushings failed or the 4 link bars are adjustable (and adjusted incorrectly) it may have you out of alignment.

If the car has hit a curb or something of the sorts it could bend/crack mounting points resulting in the axle shift.

Bigger question is does it drive straight / normal tire wear? If so the quarter panel may be damaged and leaves one tire hanging out further.

Look underneath for obvious damage / perhaps do a quick string alignment check to see how far from square things are before you go tearing things apart.

Hope it helps. ^_^

davew7
Club4AG Expert

Postby davew7 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:26 am

Do the string alignment also check the panhard rod is not bent or the bushings are off center. There is a chance that if you swap the lower control arms left to right that it may correct the problem. Then again you could end up with the rear axle dog tracking in the opposite direction. When you have both arms off compare the center to center bushing alignment. It would be a lot more work but you could possibly switch bushing(s) around to get corrected or improved alignment. davew7

AlexFourTwenty
Club4AG Regular

Postby AlexFourTwenty » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:41 am

Thanks for the info guys! I shall do some research on string alignment and try comparing the lower 4 link this weekend. Shall post up what I got