Rwd 16v rear coolant neck. Repair suggestions. (Pics)

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Rwd 16v rear coolant neck. Repair suggestions. (Pics)

Postby notnilc20 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:33 pm

Alright, the boards are slow, so let me see what your opinion is or suggestions you may have for this. I dont wanna just throw it away if it can be fixed. I have an extra rwd 16v exit waterport that has damage on the small T section of the metal water tube. ...In the pic you can see I tried to weld it but buggered it up and it still leaks.

I was thinking though....what if I cut it on the yellow line (see pic below). Would I be able to find a lip like what is pointed in blue so the hose would stay on and seal properly?

If so, i could then just connect a T connector to a small rad hose and the part would be good as new.... but I'm not sure about how to get that lip ((whatever its called) or if it's even necessary (im sure it is or why would it be there?)) on the new shorter section of pipe.

Any help is appreciated....thx.

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro

Re: Rwd 16v rear coolant neck. Repair suggestions. (Pics)

Postby totta crolla » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:24 am

The ridge at the end is called a 'swage' or 'swaged end'
Samco can supply a 'T' hose that would work fine and to keep it securely in place you could use two Mikalor screw clamps.

davew7
Club4AG Expert

Postby davew7 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:54 am

I removed my "T" extension from the rear coolant neck and just taped threads into the aluminum body for a fitting.
Davew7

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:25 am

davew7 wrote:I removed my "T" extension from the rear coolant neck and just taped threads into the aluminum body for a fitting.
Davew7

Great suggestion.

totta crolla wrote:The ridge at the end is called a 'swage' or 'swaged end'
Samco can supply a 'T' hose that would work fine and to keep it securely in place you could use two Mikalor screw clamps.

Thanks for the advice. Ok....so if I use 2 screw clamps on a pipe without a swaged end.....it shouldn't have issues of leaking or sliding off over time? Thanks.

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro

Postby totta crolla » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:25 am

notnilc20 wrote:
davew7 wrote:I removed my "T" extension from the rear coolant neck and just taped threads into the aluminum body for a fitting.
Davew7

Great suggestion.

totta crolla wrote:The ridge at the end is called a 'swage' or 'swaged end'

Thanks for the advice. Ok....so if I use 2 screw clamps on a pipe without a swaged end.....it shouldn't have issues of leaking or sliding off over time? Thanks.

No problem as long as 1, the hose is a tight push fit and 2, there is plenty of pipe for the hose to attach to.

Kitsunami
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Kitsunami » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:40 am

I'm sure this has already been put to bed for you dude, but I'm having the exact same issue. I'm going to cut off the last portion where there's the integrated tee and I have this guy coming in the mail:

Plastic Fitting (Ships from China) https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-8-x-5-16-x-5 ... 2749.l2649

Metal Fitting (Ships from 'Murica!) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Reducer-Hose-I ... 2749.l2649

Just gonna connect it to the rear water neck via a hose and clamps, like the others suggested.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:17 am

Kitsunami wrote:I'm sure this has already been put to bed for you dude, but I'm having the exact same issue. I'm going to cut off the last portion where there's the integrated tee and I have this guy coming in the mail:

Plastic Fitting (Ships from China) https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-8-x-5-16-x-5 ... 2749.l2649

Metal Fitting (Ships from 'Murica!) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Reducer-Hose-I ... 2749.l2649

Just gonna connect it to the rear water neck via a hose and clamps, like the others suggested.

Yeah man....Thanks for the links! That was my plan for sure after hearing the advice above. I haven't done it yet but let me know how it goes if you dont mind. Thanks a lot!

Kitsunami
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Kitsunami » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:26 am

notnilc20 wrote:Yeah man....Thanks for the links! That was my plan for sure after hearing the advice above. I haven't done it yet but let me know how it goes if you dont mind. Thanks a lot!

You're welcome mate. Took me forever to find the right size so thought I'd save you some time. :mrgreen:

Kitsunami
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Kitsunami » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:43 am

My metal tee came in the mail, so I hacked off the end of the stock outlet neck and added the tee (Tee measurements, as seen in the photo above are 5/8' x 5/16' x 5/8' and fit perfectly to the stock assemblies):

Unfortunately this means yet ANOTHER coolant hose that could potentially go bad down the line, but with such a short length, it won't be a problem for quite a while.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:20 am

Nice job! Thanks for posting this.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:20 pm

Well played.

There's also silver solder for those that have some plumbing supplies around. Fair chance it'd seal any pinholes, though they'd have to be tiny.

gzus13
Club4AG Regular

Postby gzus13 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:19 pm

I know I'm late to the party here, but in the past, I have used a tube flaring tool to make a "swage" in the end of tubes like that. It works pretty well if you have a flaring tool large enough. I use my inverted flaring tool and stop after the first step - it looks like a bubble flare, which should also work pretty well. You do need to be careful not to crack the tubing though.
88 AE92 Corolla DX, 86 AE86 Corolla GT-S, 73 TE21 Corolla Deluxe

Psalm 91, 2 Timothy 1: 9-10, Ephesians 2: 8-10

http://www.superhachi.com