Trying to find the best rear differential for my BEAMS AE86

Flanagan

Trying to find the best rear differential for my BEAMS AE86

Postby Flanagan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:16 am

Hello, I am sure this has been covered before but I seem to not be able to find anything on a topic like this.

I own a 3sge swapped 86 with a oem GTS differential using T3 clutch packs, I recently broke something internally in my diff making a slow U-turn.
From looking at the diff with it out of the car, it looks like a rock bounced around inside the casing leaving gashes on parts of the diff. all the gaears have all there teeth and the oil and magnet did not have large shavings but there was definitely some metal. The gears now have play and when I moved the car into my garage to remove the differential the diff acted like it was welded making both tires lock together.

I was looking at new LSD options but with the added power I feel i'm going to need a reinforced ring gear and input shaft gear (don't really know what anything is called) along with upgraded axles. I saw a kit from Weir that looked right but it's also 1000$ not including the LSD it self and they look like they have not stocked the part in years. http://www.weirperformance.com/axlekits ... erear.html

I am just looking for a way to build the GTS rear end without a swap from another car like the ford 8.8 or the supra swap and hold at the very least 230 hp

If anyone can help me figure this out i would really appreciate it. :D :D :D

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Re: Trying to find the best rear differential for my BEAMS AE86

Postby aukword1 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:02 pm

Gonna have to swap or get that weir kit. Have you called weir? I talked to them a few months back and they said they can make them per order.

Flanagan

Postby Flanagan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:06 am

aukword1 wrote:Gonna have to swap or get that weir kit. Have you called weir? I talked to them a few months back and they said they can make them per order.
I have not called yet I guess I will give them a call ty for the response.

GZE_RA21
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby GZE_RA21 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:19 pm

Go with weirs sc/turbo axle kit, expensive but will hold way more power than what you're looking at. I have it with a Kaaz 1.5 LSD bolted to one of his chromoly gear sets and it is a very nice setup. Definitely worth the peace of mind.

Gino1X1
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Gino1X1 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:49 am

By order of popularity: 1. the 1gen Celica/Supra diff, well granted these are getting hard to find by the second. .2. There must be thousands upon thousands of Hilux/Tacoma/4runners overthere so you can certainly score one with rear discs for peanuts. .3. Cressida's non-irs diff? .4. Just get the Weir thingies......