oem lsd rebuild kit

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

oem lsd rebuild kit

Postby ga_goosh » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:51 am

I am wondering if anyone has experience with either the max grip or the t3 lsd rebuild kit and if one is preferred over the other. both claim to improve over OEM and to "shim" for a tighter grip. also both come with new springs. is this a 6 one way and half a dozen the other being about the same results?

https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/ae86/lsd-rebuild-kit-ae86-corolla $165
This is a full rebuild kit for the factory LSD with a few performance oriented differences.

This kit includes all internal clutch/friction plates and spline plates. Comes with a full set of new compression springs as well.
This is not a standard rebuild kit. This kit includes the extra thick outer clutch plates, extra thick spline plate, and a slightly thicker inner clutch plate.
This will have essentially the same effect as "shimming" a stock LSD. It will make the lock up characteristics firmer and more aggressive than a stock LSD.
Factory smooth engagement
Firmer grip than OEM
Affordable Rebuild Solution
For Factory LSD's Only
Fits Kouki or Zenki OEM LSD

max grip weir performance $190
MAXGRIP by Weir Performance. A real Performance rebuild kit for the O.E.M. GTS LSD. A great alternative to expensive aftermarket LSD's for builders on a budget. This kit is not glorified O.E.M. parts. Every part has been designed to get the maximum grip possible with an O.E.M. LSD unit. Our kit features larger diameter stationary plates and clutch plates. The increase in diameter increases the surface area a total of 23% over the O.E.M. plates. Also included is our Max size springs that increase spring load a total of 60lbs. force over O.E.M. Our kit also features reversible, solid bronze, thrust washers with slotted oil passages for improved oil flow to the bearing surface. The kit also comes with a complete shim kit that allows the installer to set the clearances within the LSD to the exact specs for best performance. What does all this mean? Quicker, more responsive LSD action with maximum grip! Works great for daily and track use! This kit is easily installed.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Re: oem lsd rebuild kit

Postby ga_goosh » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:56 am

bump any opinions on either rebuild kit? even if it is an improvement opinion over stock

edit:
im going to go with the max grip due to it having stiffer springs then stock. the t3 kit says it has new compression springs which im assuming are oem stiffness while the max grip says it has 60lb more pressure over stock. max grip also cuz t3 kit is unavailable making the decision for me. :P
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

frankist
Club4AG Regular

Postby frankist » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:15 pm

Def do a write up if you have time. Its always interesting to see people set up rear ends. Check out runningfree on youtube, its a pretty good representation on what needs to be done.

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Postby ga_goosh » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:33 am

oh yea iv watched all of his videos. Kaicho gives some good info on lsd setups and even the trd lsd rebuilds. I love the pile of 3rd members he has under his 4ag in his garage
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

Autohaus_Z
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Autohaus_Z » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:09 pm

Ive used the T3 rebuild kit. I would argue for the Weir kit because it comes with new bronze washers (mine had a fair amount of wear, as I bet most stock LSD's do after 30 years). I run a Tomei TTrax 1.5way now and for the cost of building a diff (gear set up should definitely be left to a professional), I would skip straight to an aftermarket LSD unit.
Owner. CM Autohaus LLC. San Jose, CA.
RnD/Product Testing. Battle Garage RS/Annex Suspension Group
Amsoil Dealer # 5615215
IG @Autohaus_Z for AE86 fun, T50 trans builds, and track life!
The Autohaus Podcast

GZE_RA21
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby GZE_RA21 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:56 pm

I'm doing a diff rebuild also, i get all my stuff from weir Spence is a super cool dude and very knowledgeable, even got to meet him in person when i picked up some parts from his shop. The LSD is pretty easy to rebuild if you take your time and have some precision measuring devices (calipers/micrometer, feeler gauges). I'm in the middle of setting up the rear end right now... i must say, setting up the rear end isn't as difficult as i thought, per say, so far.. just very involved, time consuming, and monotonous, oh and i had to buy quite a bit of tooling also, hydraulic press, bearing splitter, race driver sets, dial gauge indicator etc... Lots of involved and precise measurements to get to a point where you get some useful info. But I digress, i understand why drive line shops charge so much for their work! I just wanted to try it myself and I'm happy i did, but idk if i'd do it again lol :roll: :lol:

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Postby ga_goosh » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:32 am

i rebuilt mine but i was not able to get a hold of spencer to get the rebuild kit. but i did get some #8 washers to space the oem springs to give more pre-load on the diff. I was able to get 3 washers under each spring. it was tight after that. i had a broken lsd that i was able to measure all the clutch plates out and rebuild 1 diff with the thickest plates. i got the diff back into spec and after it was all together i could tell a difference just by spinning the axles that there was more grip. i did have to reuse the old brass spacers tho. i didnt spend any money other then the washers so for me it was pretty cost effective. i have a cusco 1 way on its way that i got for cheap. im going to try to modify it to a 1.5 way and possibly make another 2 way channel so the way can be chosen. luckly i have a spare diff carrier so i will have a spare.

also if any one needs info on rebuilding the oem diff the FSM is in my sig. it has all the info on the case spacer plates torque specs and clutch sizes needed for proper rebuild.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM