Short stroke shocks front and rears alternatives.

jondee86

Re: Short stroke shocks front and rears alternatives.

Postby jondee86 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:02 pm

You will have to do some measurung and figuring to see if the rear inserts can be used...

When you look at the gland nuts that came with the inserts, and slide one down over the
spear, you will see how the nut sits on the top of the cartridge. How much thread engages
is governed by the how far the top of the cartridge sticks out of the strut tube and how far
the nut will thread in (assuming you have the correct thread and the nut slips down over
the top of the cartridge until the nut is in contact with the clamping surface).

Then look at the OEM gland nut and figure out if (you had the inside machined to the same
dimensions as the KYB gland nut) it would work. I'm picking that if you have more than a
couple of millimeters of the cartridge sticking out above the top of the strut tube, then
you are screwed :cry: But never the less, if you want the front inserts to sit as high as
possible, you will still need to find someone with a lathe who can open up the OEM gland
nuts for you.

I see that T3 do some kind of "universal" gland nut to suit the AE86 strut tubes for $45 a
pair. Might be an alternative. Sell the rears to someone who is running stock length strut
tubes and wants to fit stiff springs (so needing short stroke inserts) or offer them up on
a MR2 site. Sometimes better to cut your losses and move on...

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:34 am

jondee86 wrote:You will have to do some measurung and figuring to see if the rear inserts can be used...

When you look at the gland nuts that came with the inserts, and slide one down over the
spear, you will see how the nut sits on the top of the cartridge. How much thread engages
is governed by the how far the top of the cartridge sticks out of the strut tube and how far
the nut will thread in (assuming you have the correct thread and the nut slips down over
the top of the cartridge until the nut is in contact with the clamping surface).

Then look at the OEM gland nut and figure out if (you had the inside machined to the same
dimensions as the KYB gland nut) it would work. I'm picking that if you have more than a
couple of millimeters of the cartridge sticking out above the top of the strut tube, then
you are screwed :cry: But never the less, if you want the front inserts to sit as high as
possible, you will still need to find someone with a lathe who can open up the OEM gland
nuts for you.

I see that T3 do some kind of "universal" gland nut to suit the AE86 strut tubes for $45 a
pair. Might be an alternative. Sell the rears to someone who is running stock length strut
tubes and wants to fit stiff springs (so needing short stroke inserts) or offer them up on
a MR2 site. Sometimes better to cut your losses and move on...

Cheers... jondee86

Yeah, I decided to bite the bullet and get the gland nuts that t3 has available. By the time I found someone to mill these oe ones out and everything i'd probably be looking at the same if not more cost. Wish t3 had more info on this and made an option to purchase with their weld on kit as the oe gland nuts are no where close to even sitting correctly on top of the agx inserts. Probably the trd's and tokico's fit the oem gland nut better? Anyways, hopefully when I finally get all these parts I could get this thing done and move on to my next step in my build. Could've just gone the easy route and got some godspeed or whatever set but at least these will be servicable.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:10 pm

When you get the T3 gland nuts be sure to do a test fit right away with an insert inside
the strut tube and see if it will thread in far enough to get some good thread engagement.
It's difficult to pick up on the pics of the nut, but it seems to have a tapered inside
diameter... so difficult to guess exactly how it will fit on top of the insert.

Cheers... jondee86

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:05 pm

jondee86 wrote:When you get the T3 gland nuts be sure to do a test fit right away with an insert inside
the strut tube and see if it will thread in far enough to get some good thread engagement.
It's difficult to pick up on the pics of the nut, but it seems to have a tapered inside
diameter... so difficult to guess exactly how it will fit on top of the insert.

Cheers... jondee86

Yeah I'm definantly gonna test fit right away. They say on their website that it is tapered in order to center most if not all shock inserts....of course I hope the sw20 inserts i'm getting will be short enough to allow enough thread engagement as you mentioned....i'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:06 pm

Hi Jondee86 I finally got it all situated. Seems that with the shorter 765015 shock inserts the oem gland nuts should work....however I had already ordered the t3 set, so I just used those. I also only needed one washer as a spacer. Here is a video I made of the whole process. Should I post this in the diy section? Thanks again for all your help and great advice.
https://youtu.be/gFGSgNFI-cQ

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:08 pm

Nice work on the video... you should make a new post in the DIY section and link it there
as a reference for anyone going the same route.

Cheers... jondee86