Fuel Line help

arvin429
Club4AG Regular

Fuel Line help

Postby arvin429 » Sat May 20, 2017 10:34 pm

I have my sr5 fuel tank and I was going to use it in the mean time while I save up a little more money to buy a GTS tank. I have the GTS pump assembly and I was wondering, do I really have to upgrade the fuel line diameter? There are conflicting posts of yes and no. If I had to upgrade it I would use 6AN stainless steel braided hose. How much feet would I need? Also for the charcoal canister would I be able to use my SR5 canister? What is the thread size on the Charcoal canister?
Thank You
Arvin

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

SgtRauksauff
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Fuel Line help

Postby SgtRauksauff » Mon May 22, 2017 11:58 am

I don't remember the charcoal cannister (part of the EVAP system) even having threads, just hoses and clamps. there is no pressurized fuel, only fuel vapor in the evap line, at least there shouldn't be. Basically, as the fuel sloshes around and gets agitated in the tank, and the return line puts some back in, sometimes there can be a bit of air pressure in the tank.. the evap system runs this air pressure through a carbon filter and into the intake tract so the gasses are combusted in the engine, rather than spread to the atmosphere.
At least, that's how I understand it.

As far as length you need from the fuel rail to the fuel tank, it really depends on how you plan to route it; my only suggestion is to take some rope or string and route it like you want to route the line, then measure how much you will use.

If the GT-s feed and return lines are not the same diameter (I've never actually compared them myself, or remember if I actually read about it), you could run into problems with low volume of flow to the engine, resulting in lean/detonation and premature pump failure, or you could end up with not enough volume of flow back to the tank which could end up in rich/leaking/cylinder washing.

arvin429
Club4AG Regular

Postby arvin429 » Mon May 22, 2017 7:17 pm

I've heard of people using the sr5 lines as the return lines though

arvin429
Club4AG Regular

Postby arvin429 » Tue May 23, 2017 2:33 pm

Also I was changing my rear harness and the rear gts harness i got was a kouki while my dash harness is a zenki. Can they still work?

Disable adblock

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Tue May 23, 2017 5:05 pm

arvin429 wrote:I've heard of people using the sr5 lines as the return lines though

I have heard of people not having any problems using the SR5 fuel lines for supply
and return. Just use the two larger lines. Also the GTS pump assembly should drop right
into the SR5 tank as the SR5 and GTS tanks are the same except for an internal baffle.
So if you are on a tight budget you might like to give it a try :)

You will need to make sure that hoses connecting to lines seeing EFI pressure either
have proper flared fittings or are clamped with at least two hose clamps to make sure
you don't get leaks. On the supply side the hoses must be EFI pressure rated... having
your car burn to the ground will spoil your day real fast !!!!

Cheers... jondee86
Give a person a fish, they eat for a day. Suggest they search before posting, and they learn a skill for a lifetime.

Disable adblock

Return to “TECH: Corolla AE86”