Does TVIS affect idle?

xslowpokex
Club4AG Enthusiast

Does TVIS affect idle?

Postby xslowpokex » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:55 pm

Hello ill keep it simple, i tried looking for thread but found nothing close...so at some point someone yanked the tvis or more like gutted the system, so its permanently open and my big question is does this effect idle? Because so far the lowest stable idle i could achieve is 1,200rpm- 1,000rpm with accesories on, anything lower is just too shaky and not healthy...also ive cleaned out ISCV and working properly, i set timing to factory spec, no vac leaks either...just curious, because i had another 86 with working tvis and it idled at 900 and 800 with accesories on...thanks
Last edited by xslowpokex on Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Re: Does TVIS affect idle?

Postby aukword1 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:56 pm

Here is Jondee's post about TVIS. It will explain how TVIS works and the purpose of it.

http://club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12342

xslowpokex
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby xslowpokex » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:15 pm

aukword1 wrote:Here is Jondee's post about TVIS. It will explain how TVIS works and the purpose of it.

viewtopic.php?t=12342
thanks, but i fully understand how tvis works, the question i asked was nowhere addressed on Jondees post...what im really asking is there someone out there that for what ever reason took off or deactivated the tvis and noticed their car idle higher, i mean it would make sense since more intake runners would be open but honestly dont know if it can or cant play a factor on idle speed, thanks

davew7
Club4AG Expert

Postby davew7 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:39 am

I have been running for several years without the TVIS system, and have not had any issues. If the engine is in good shape, you should be able to adjust the throttle stop and air bleed, once it's up to temp. I'm idling just around 1,000 RPM, with a lite Wt flywheel and crank pulley. Before installing the pulley, the but with the lite flywheel, engine would idle at 900 RPM.
Dave W

xslowpokex
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby xslowpokex » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:59 pm

davew7 wrote:I have been running for several years without the TVIS system, and have not had any issues. If the engine is in good shape, you should be able to adjust the throttle stop and air bleed, once it's up to temp. I'm idling just around 1,000 RPM, with a lite Wt flywheel and crank pulley. Before installing the pulley, the but with the lite flywheel, engine would idle at 900 RPM.
Dave W
thanks buddy!!! Yea that makes a whole lot of sense, I disregarded the fact that im running full lightweight pulley and cam gear set, no ac or power steering, but im starting to think i will need a new IACV in the future, sometimes it idles at 1k and othertimes at 1.2k, but there than that motor is strong and solid no, lag, hesitation or overheating, ive read tvis gives you more low end torque, but honestly the power band feel more consistent on this car without TVis than with the other with tvis...but yea thanks again sir :)