Question regarding stock AW11 Oil Cooler in my Eight Six

Kitsunami
Club4AG Enthusiast

Question regarding stock AW11 Oil Cooler in my Eight Six

Postby Kitsunami » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:06 pm

Hello all,

Firstly, a prescript, I've tried searching but all I can find is information about installing aftermarket oil coolers.

A couple things about how my car will be driven once it's done: Lightly / daily driver, maybe the occasional spirited driving. But the Summers in the Sacramento Valley where I live can get to 110 Degrees.

I'm converting my SR5 to a GTS and the donor for the 4AGE was an 87 MR2. It has the stock oil cooler sandwich plate and tap in the oil pan. I'd like to retain oil cooling capabilities as it gets uncomfortably hot during the summer.

So my question is a two-parter:

1.) Is it worth keeping an oil cooling system on my Eight Six if I won't be constantly abusing 'er?
2.) If it is worth having an oil cooling system, what else would I need to make the old AW11 / 4AGE setup work? (Keeping in mind I ONLY have the sandwich plate / hose and the oil pan fitting from the donor MR2).

I thank you all in advance for your time.

Kitsunami
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Question regarding stock AW11 Oil Cooler in my Eight Six

Postby Kitsunami » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:10 pm

Also, It might be worthwhile to note that I'll be using an AE92 remote thermo setup so I can have an e-fan. I seem to recall the the stock oil cooler systems in these are cooled with the engine coolant, so I don't know how that would look with plumbing.

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:16 pm

Better safe than sorry I'd say. I have the GTS sandwich plate and oil cooler if you want to make an offer on either. I am sure the sandwich plate is pretty similar on the AW11 as the stock GTS though. That being said, I ran without an oil cooler for a few years with no issues but I am in Southern California. Once you mod the engine though I'd say it would be wise to install one.

Kitsunami
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Kitsunami » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:20 pm

aukword1 wrote:Better safe than sorry I'd say. I have the GTS sandwich plate and oil cooler if you want to make an offer on either. I am sure the sandwich plate is pretty similar on the AW11 as the stock GTS though. That being said, I ran without an oil cooler for a few years with no issues but I am in Southern California. Once you mod the engine though I'd say it would be wise to install one.

How's the stock setup work? Is it just aircooled? If I can make the AW11 sandwich plate I already have work, then technically all I would need is the cooler and two hoses I'm guessing? How much would you want for the cooler?

Maybe I'm confusing myself, but perhaps the AW11 was a liquid cooled oil cooler and the AE86 was air cooled?

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:55 pm

I know for a fact that the AE86 is air cooled. AW11 should be the same. All you would need would be the hoses and the oil cooler. The oil cooler has a bracket which mounts between the radiator and the bumper. I dunno how much they go for but I will consider any offer on it.

davew7
Club4AG Expert

Postby davew7 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:32 am

My 4AGE is out of a AW11. The only real difference is the hose connection on the engine is a long tube with a banjo fitting at 90* Vs straight. As already stated you just need a cooler and hoses. Check out a Farm and Tractor Supply for the hoses. [priced By the ft] less then a 1/4 of the Toyota cost. Dave W

SgtRauksauff
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby SgtRauksauff » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:34 am

shortly after I got my GT-S, during a trackday the previous owner's use of RTV to help seal the head gasket blocked all the oil to the head, and ended up galling the cam journals and stuff... bits of aluminum were all up in my oil cooler, so I just tossed another one on that I'd got from a friend.. i think maybe it was just a standard 'transmission oil cooler" that you can get at a parts store for 20 buckss. Anyways, I just got some hose that wouldn't get ruined by the oil, and put the new cooler on when I rebuilt the engine. You don't need super-crazy-fancy-expensive, you just need it to work. I track and autoX my car, but I've never had a problem yet, over the 9 years it's been in the car.

--sarge

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:59 am

SgtRauksauff wrote:shortly after I got my GT-S, during a trackday the previous owner's use of RTV to help seal the head gasket blocked all the oil to the head, and ended up galling the cam journals and stuff... bits of aluminum were all up in my oil cooler, so I just tossed another one on that I'd got from a friend.. i think maybe it was just a standard 'transmission oil cooler" that you can get at a parts store for 20 buckss. Anyways, I just got some hose that wouldn't get ruined by the oil, and put the new cooler on when I rebuilt the engine. You don't need super-crazy-fancy-expensive, you just need it to work. I track and autoX my car, but I've never had a problem yet, over the 9 years it's been in the car.

--sarge

Basically what I did to my corolla. I am running a greddy sandwich plate and decided to make my own steel braided hoses with AN fittings for it. Pretty easy stuff and looks good. Cheap if you do it yourself.