Is this 86 worth buying?

rms4455

Is this 86 worth buying?

Postby rms4455 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:21 pm

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/cto/5977796998.html Is the link, it's the best condition 86 I've seen on CL around me. He is asking 7k, but plan on offering 5.5-6k. Is it worth it? And why/ why not?

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

jondee86

Re: Is this 86 worth buying?

Postby jondee86 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:14 pm

The question is... what's it worth to you ?? If you have been searching for a while, and
this one has the "look" that you are after, then you are probably going to pay a premium.
Car looks tidy... has a re-built blacktop on the factory ECU, so you shouldn't have to spend
any cash on the engine. Already has BC's so you won't have to ask... what's the best bang
for buck coilovers ?? Got new rims and tires so nothing to spend there for a while either.

Loking at the pics I'd say that the car has been set up on the sporty side of comfortable...
more drift spec with a bit of "look at me" on the side. All the hard work has been done, so
if a test drive doesn't show up any mechanical or handling problems, get haggling :)

One thing, a car like this will get stolen if you leave it parked outside. You really need
to have a lock up garage or at least a yard with a decent fence and a gate with a chain.

Cheers... jondee86
Give a person a fish, they eat for a day. Suggest they search before posting, and they learn a skill for a lifetime.

AE86Kai
Club4AG Expert

Postby AE86Kai » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:24 am

Sounds like you were searching for a while and if you think this one is the best condition AE86 for sale, GO FOR IT.

Since you asked, personally, I am not a huge fan of aftermarket body parts on AE86 but, that can be changed.
I also prefer to have complete interior, A/C, P/S as well....IF this is going to be my one & only daily.
If seller can really acquire NEW aftermarket complete carpet for cheap, have it included.

As jondee86 has mentioned as well, this one will draw a lots of attention including that exhaust...& I am too old for that "look at me" status. :oops:

Good luck finding your perfect AE86.

morgan
Club4AG Pro

Postby morgan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:01 am

the things that would deter me...cut firewall, lack of interior(no carpet, cracked dash, no door panels, missing plastic pieces), doesn't have the proper front bumper lights, CX manifold, not even one motor pic(that's odd), "JDM taillights"...those are usdm kouki lights(theyre the same as the jdm Levin lights but without the white line. very easy to replicate a simple white line on the lense and not the nicer of the 2 versions).

the goods...lsd, rebuilt motor, suspension, body appears clean(give it a good check for hidden areas and proper rust repair if there was any).

I think the 5k range would be a fair offer pending a solid body and everything in proper working order. IF it had oem bumpers, real hayashis, and a clean complete interior as well, then the 7k would be justified. but like mentioned, whats it worth to you? I bought a gts from cali a decade ago because, like you, I couldn't find a decent car here on the EC. paid a little more than I wanted, but for no rust and a straight frame, I was ok with that in the end.
haha cali...i got one of your 86's and you're not getting it back.
My turd of an 86
20v swapped 86 write-up
east coast forum...

Disable adblock

ToeKnee805
Club4AG Expert

Postby ToeKnee805 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:06 am

Its an 85 with kouki tails. Either he doesnt know the year, or that rear panel has been cut up. Seems like its an SR5 gauging from whats left of the interior. Check the VIN make sure its an ae88 vin. Could have also been swapped but those look like manual mirrors. All GTS came with power mirrors.
1986 Corolla GT-S -- Unmolested -- Now Resto Project
1985 Corolla GT-S -- Turbo Levin Track Car
1982 Corolla 1.8 -- Sitting collecting dust

morgan
Club4AG Pro

Postby morgan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:18 am

good eye on the 1985 with kouki tails Toeknee805. That would be a huge problem if not properly converted.

look at the pics though, the cluster has the CEL light. not to say it hasn't been converted.
haha cali...i got one of your 86's and you're not getting it back.
My turd of an 86
20v swapped 86 write-up
east coast forum...

pchanichiban
Club4AG Regular

Postby pchanichiban » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:32 am

If you are able to get it for what you think is reasonable and think of it as a stepping stone into what you "think" is the right vehicle choice for you, I'd say go for it. You can wheel and deal to make that car what you want it to be with what is already there.

Look in the usual spots for rust. Really inspect that motor to make sure it's good... might be problems if it has only 800 miles on a rebuild, never know if something has come up and losses need to be cut, etc..

I agree with ToeKnee however the statement of all GT-S came with power mirrors is untrue or perhaps my GT-S was the only one in the world with low grade interior / bare bones everything. Blue/blue all SR5 interior. 88 vin. Exceptions to everything but mine was as stock as I've seen.

Good Luck

notnilc20
Club4AG Expert

Postby notnilc20 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:05 am

He says he has the full interior in the ad....but i agree that no engine pics is strange especially after saying its been rebuilt. Looks good though.

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:24 pm

I'm going to be a bit different.....

walk away....... too many small inaccurate details for the kind of cash being asked.....
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

CloudStrife
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby CloudStrife » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:32 pm

Me personally, I would never pay 7 grand for a coupe that has a gutted interior.

If it was a hatch, I would MAYBE consider it, but OP there are so many clean coupe' 86s out there, I'd just wait to find something local or travel for a clean one.

Plus in my experience it's never a good idea to buy someone else's build unless:

A.) You are an experienced mechanic
B.) There are detailed receipts, forum posts, threads, etc. about the build so you can see where they went wrong.

:)

ToeKnee805
Club4AG Expert

Postby ToeKnee805 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:46 pm

pchanichiban wrote:If you are able to get it for what you think is reasonable and think of it as a stepping stone into what you "think" is the right vehicle choice for you, I'd say go for it. You can wheel and deal to make that car what you want it to be with what is already there.

Look in the usual spots for rust. Really inspect that motor to make sure it's good... might be problems if it has only 800 miles on a rebuild, never know if something has come up and losses need to be cut, etc..

I agree with ToeKnee however the statement of all GT-S came with power mirrors is untrue or perhaps my GT-S was the only one in the world with low grade interior / bare bones everything. Blue/blue all SR5 interior. 88 vin. Exceptions to everything but mine was as stock as I've seen.

Good Luck

is your car an 87 by any chance? The LATE LATE LATE 87 AE88 GTS vins came with SR5 interior.
1986 Corolla GT-S -- Unmolested -- Now Resto Project
1985 Corolla GT-S -- Turbo Levin Track Car
1982 Corolla 1.8 -- Sitting collecting dust

pchanichiban
Club4AG Regular

Postby pchanichiban » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:28 am

ToeKnee805 wrote:is your car an 87 by any chance? The LATE LATE LATE 87 AE88 GTS vins came with SR5 interior.

Yeap!

PAguy
Club4AG Regular

Postby PAguy » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:33 pm

All 86's are worth buying. They are great vehicles in so many ways. I have friends that lay down 5 or 10 grand for a Cobalt. A good running 86 is a better car and will last longer if not abused. I do agree that buying a significantly modified car is risky at any price.
The question is how much you can afford and how long you can wait. You'll always find a better deal eventually. :mrgreen:
For reference, I bought my SR5 for $1900 in 2011 with zero rust and immaculate condition, but 250k on the ticker. I've put 75k miles on it with very minor maintenance and I plan on putting lots more. My GTS was $3500 last year and not in great shape. But it was complete, bone stock and only had 125k on it. The oil doesn't leak or burn and stays clear for 2-3 thousand miles at a time. I stuck studded Goodyears on it and am driving it through the winter snow up here in PA. When it starts rusting out, I plan on swapping guts and selling off the GTS to SR5 conversion.
Western PA
Long string of old Toyota's over the decades.
Currently daily an '84 SR5 hatch, an '85 GT-S coupe and a 91 FJ80.
Daughter #3 has an '86 MR2.

AE86Kai
Club4AG Expert

Postby AE86Kai » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:06 am

This topic was created nearly 1 month ago and after all these replies, no response from the topic owner.
As usual, craigslist link is now DEAD as well...I am about to delete or lock this topic... :?

I wonder if he bought that car or not.....

notnilc20
Club4AG Expert

Postby notnilc20 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:17 am

AE86Kai wrote:This topic was created nearly 1 month ago and after all these replies, no response from the topic owner.
As usual, craigslist link is now DEAD as well...I am about to delete or lock this topic... :?

I wonder if he bought that car or not.....

Seems to happen a lot around here. Even a lot of the for sale ads go unanswered....it's frustrating.

Disable adblock

Return to “TECH: Corolla AE86”