AE86 Cruise Control

CloudStrife
Club4AG Enthusiast

AE86 Cruise Control

Postby CloudStrife » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:42 pm

Does anyone have diagrams, posts, pictures, anything with information on the cruise control systems that came equipped with these cars?

I can find the electrical information on the EWD, but there is nothing in the general FSM for the chassis.

Thanks!

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: AE86 Cruise Control

Postby CloudStrife » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:53 am

I've found this in a random a** post; I added pictures between the list of parts that I copied from this thread
http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.php? ... n-the-AE86
and pictures copied from here: http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=73054:

Parts needed:

Cruise stalk
Cruise computer
Cruise actuator bracket and linkage
Cruise actuator
Cruise throttle cable (pedal to linkage)
No picture found
Cruise throttle cable (linkage to TB)
No picture found
Vacuum pump (86+ models only)
Vacuum switch (4/86+ models only)
Clutch switch
No picture found
Brake switch
No picture found
Lots of bolts, and a couple other brackets, etc

No picture found

Now I'm not looking for the cruise stalk option personally, I'm going after utilizing the cruise "box" that goes into the coin holder slot; I'm not sure if this was used on the earlier models, later models, or "release" models..

"Stalk" type:

"Box" type:

-Another "box" type:

Here are two things I am wondering:

How similar is the AW11 cruise system to the AE88/86 systems?
What is the difference between using a "stalk" type, and using the "box" type? (Seeing as how the stalk type only uses what seems to be physical inputs, the wiring that goes to the stalk or box might be different, but whatever they plug into should have the same connector type as they more than likely use the same control mechanism and plug in the same..).

Edit: nevermind, the stalk and box type have different connectors. The Stalk type looks like it plugs right into the cruise ECU, or maybe the stock wiring harness that the turn signals normally use?
Last edited by CloudStrife on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby CloudStrife » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:20 am

Here is a video of a cruise control removal (I don't understand why everyone wants to rip out their options :()

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQBt5vJ0bCwa

very insightful, but I would like to make a diagram with information.

SgtRauksauff
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby SgtRauksauff » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:31 am

my GTS already had it yanked when I bought it, my '86 SR5 coupe doesn't appear to have it (I don't know if SR5's even had the option), and I honestly don't know if my '84 SR5 hatch has it or not, I haven't even looked. I've got a cool wiring diagram book, I'll have to see if there are any useable schematics of the cruise control system. in it.

Disable adblock

CloudStrife
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby CloudStrife » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:37 am

Thanks Sarge! This is me mostly just throwing all the information in a thread in a disorganized chaotic kind of way, trying to make a good thread about cruise control.

In my Electronic Wiring Diagrams, there are about 2-3 pages on cruise, but it's mostly just schematics. If you could post those though, that would be great :).

And I'm almost certain SR5's had them as an option. The base model of this chassis is odd, it's not like the DX protege; the SR5's I've seen with Sunroofs, Cruise, and a couple other usually "Luxury" options.

GooGooMuck

Postby GooGooMuck » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:41 pm

Yeah you could get all sorts of stuff in the SR5.
My 1984 came with cruise control, with the stalk and a different speed controller, which did not match the Zenki GTS harness that went in with the 4age(needs the purple/grey like pictured) My SR5 also had a sunroof power mirrors and the "sport interior" So full GTS spec blue Zenki 2-tone "fuzzy" seats, and all the molded GTS interior.

I am part way through getting my cruise system working post 4age swap, I just grabbed a throttle cable to go from the actuator to the throttle body from a V20 Toyota Camry 5sp that looks long enough.

notnilc20
Club4AG Expert

Postby notnilc20 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:16 pm

CloudStrife wrote:Here is a video of a cruise control removal (I don't understand why everyone wants to rip out their options :()

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQBt5vJ0bCwa

very insightful, but I would like to make a diagram with information.

It is frustrating watching someone destroy their 86 to "drift" around the track for a couple seasons only to sell it shortly after for peanuts for something with more power. They'll destroy their car to lose a few pounds but eat cheeseburgers all day.

They say having an accelerator cable directly to the tb allows for better throttle response but it's probably miniscule and not worth removing the system. But I don't know for sure.

Disable adblock

Return to “TECH: Corolla AE86”