A/c condensor electric fan.....or not?

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

A/c condensor electric fan.....or not?

Postby notnilc20 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:36 pm

Just installed ac on my gts conversion project....but my question is....seems like it would be better to have an electric fan on the condensor for those times i'm sitting at a long light or whatever. What's the best way to wire a fan to work when I turn the ac on.? Or is this even a good idea? Any advice is appreciated....thanks.

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Re: A/c condensor electric fan.....or not?

Postby jinx » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:56 am

a fan on the ac condensor made such a big difference, I put one on all my old toyotas.
With charge guages connected u could actually see the hi side pressure move, when condensor fan run
My ac tech buddy even took out the little control box (mounted on the evaporator case underdash), and
showed a trim pot to turn..... thermostat adjust iirc. Ice cold ac, no tint hatchback in s. florida
Use the AC compressor elec +12V feed, to turn on a separate relay for the condensor fan
If you did not want/need the fan running at highway speed, u could put a switch on the relay ground side
To be fancy, use one of the radiator fan relay with thermo sensor, u can adjust the run cycle based on
the temp the probe sees of the ac condensor

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:11 am

jinx wrote:a fan on the ac condensor made such a big difference, I put one on all my old toyotas.
With charge guages connected u could actually see the hi side pressure move, when condensor fan run
My ac tech buddy even took out the little control box (mounted on the evaporator case underdash), and
showed a trim pot to turn..... thermostat adjust iirc. Ice cold ac, no tint hatchback in s. florida
Use the AC compressor elec +12V feed, to turn on a separate relay for the condensor fan
If you did not want/need the fan running at highway speed, u could put a switch on the relay ground side
To be fancy, use one of the radiator fan relay with thermo sensor, u can adjust the run cycle based on
the temp the probe sees of the ac condensor

Thanks Jinx,

Ok a few questions,
Is there enough room to put a pull fan between the radiator and condensor?
Or just use a push fan?
Did you use aftermarket or get one from a specific car?

Also when you say 12v for the compressor....do you mean the single wire that goes to the compressor clutch and grounds to it? Or the blue plug with 2 wires?

Thanks!

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:58 pm

single wire going to compressor clutch. +ve 12V energizes it

Always 10" pusher fans I used to get from JCwhitney. Low cost, low amp pull
Smooth silent run u could barely hear it run outside..... from inside a quiet car, not a chance
Dunno whats out there now, as I haven't bought any fans for a while
I'm sure u could find a oem quality fan at u-pick/wrecking yard

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:09 pm

jinx wrote:single wire going to compressor clutch. +ve 12V energizes it

Always 10" pusher fans I used to get from JCwhitney. Low cost, low amp pull
Smooth silent run u could barely hear it run outside..... from inside a quiet car, not a chance
Dunno whats out there now, as I haven't bought any fans for a while
I'm sure u could find a oem quality fan at u-pick/wrecking yard

Thanks a bunch....this helps me tremendously.