LSD question

Caccomando
Club4AG Enthusiast

LSD question

Postby Caccomando » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:57 pm

Hey guys whats up
Drove an 86 with a stock LSD a while back, made me want one in mine.
Starting to look into it and decided ill probably go with a 1.5 way.
Now Im familiar with all the different axles and sizes between zenki and kouki but heres my question.

I have a stock 86 GTS with a factory open diff. I know I have to cut down the axles to drop a factory LSD.
What about something from Tomei or Kaaz? I see on a few listings they have the option of either (standard) or (open)
Is there a difference where the open one is suited to drop right in without trimming the axles?

I searched around a bit and cant really get definitive answer, may sound stupid but I just want to know exactly what I need to get an LSD in.
Thanks.

ToeKnee805
Club4AG Expert

Re: LSD question

Postby ToeKnee805 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:16 am

depending on the model. kaaz and tomei can both be bought for LSD or open axles. Trimming the axles isnt bad, its like a 5 minute job. You cant really screw it up
1986 Corolla GT-S -- Unmolested -- Now Resto Project
1985 Corolla GT-S -- Turbo Levin Track Car
1982 Corolla 1.8 -- Sitting collecting dust

jdm86gtz
Club4AG Expert

Postby jdm86gtz » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:42 am

You should only have to cut the axles for an OEM lsd, TRD and Cusco lsds don't require it anyway

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:03 pm

Side note: considering you liked the oem unit... if the car is driven on the street and your not trying too drift... i recommend having a new lsd adjusted from its new/default setting before install (at least talk about with a pro). New lsd units are setup for racing/drift and are often adjusted to max lockup by default, which can be terrible for a street car, and not ideal for grip driving in certain cases.

Caccomando
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Caccomando » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:32 pm

Thanks guys for the help.
So finding a late model TRD LSD equipped complete pumpkin would work with the open diff kouki axles I currently have? If you were in my position going from factory open diff to having the car with an LSD what would be the easiest/effecient route?
I dont track the car or push it too hard, streetable (spirited) driving is all lol.
Thanks.

Caccomando
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Caccomando » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:36 pm

Also: Yahoo Japan is loaded with LSD stuff. I found a complete 4.3 pumpkin with 24mm axles. If I bought it, technically I could use the 24mm axles in the kouki housing as long as I swapped the center/pumpkin with a zenki unit accordingly?

saiGone
Club4AG Expert

Postby saiGone » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:09 am

Yup! carrier can house both , axles just have to match the diff!
Club 4AG member since 05 (Formally SaigonsSon)

Caccomando
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Caccomando » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:21 am

Cool! Options, options.
Used TRD LSD 1000$ bucks these days.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:55 pm

What you described (buying complete pumpkin) will be easiest as long as its in good working condition - lots of variables with an old used unit though. Plus, you prob want to at least replace bearings while out, and that will require hiring a pro unless one can do it themselves.

If you like doing things right the first time it might be better to just buy a new lsd/bearings and equip to your current pumpkin.

PS: my car is used only on street and I went from open diff to new cusco rs 1.5. With standard setting it was so obnoxious at first that I was constanly drawing onlookers in parking lots. Also, my 'know-it-all' mechanic friends were telling me my **** was broke just based on the awful sounds, and I was in a constant state of uncertainty thinking they may be right (it was that bad).

Eventually it fully broke in and most of what I mentioned went away, but I still get light clunking/ratcheting at low speeds in tight turns, which is normal. However, when pushing the car in the twisties its just to aggressive - chassis becomes unsettled because of pogoing under throttle (100% lockup = same wheel speeds each side). If you're an extremely aggressive (and unsafe on public roads) driver it can be beneficial; like if you're rally driving drifting, or are just ham-fisted.

My current ae86 had a an oem lsd unit when i got it. (This was after the the other car with open diff/cusco lsd.) Its nothing like an aftermarket unit. Oem is 1 way which only locks under throttle load. Plus, iirc, the lockup rate is somewhere in the 25-40% range only, but weir does sell a rebuild kit that improves it.

Caccomando
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Caccomando » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:29 pm

Hey thanks for the input Deuce Cam.
Yea my main concern was just that...buying used... I am told TRD required no modifcations to axles and its keeping it OEM so thats why it appealed. You are 100% right though. Used is used and have to hope for the best.

Have you heard anything about the TRD unit? The one im looking at appears to be in great shape with a new 4.6 (not sure how gnarly thats gonna be lol) final gear. Its complete in pumpkin and already stated for 25mm kouki axles.

Im definitely not a beat the **** out of my car type of guy. I love to drive but do so accordingly. My car is really cared for. So probably would be best off with something not too outrageous, dosent have to be the lowest end of the spectrum though.

chohdog
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby chohdog » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:52 pm

Late generation TRD models will take any axle, whether it be LSD or non-LSD. Early TRD LSD's require that you have LSD axles. The problem is, there's no way to tell what TRD lsd you have without trying the axles.

Cusco, Tomei, KAAZ, OS Giken all take either axle. To further the point, their lock up is adjustable by switching the clutch plates around to make them less aggressive.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:48 am

You can also remove some of the springs so the load up / ramp rate is less aggressive.

No experience with trd, only heard theyre slightly less aggressive and stout compared to cusco/tomei/kazz /etc.

Lucifer D

Postby Lucifer D » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:04 am

My experience, Trd 1 way with std big port, lsd clunks a bit with a bit of load at low speed but confident in mid to high speed with lock up.

Os giken 1.5 way(f series diff). Fitted brand new with smallport turbo. Zero noise from the first reversing from driveway and hard left turn. Makes no noise during driving. Lock rate left standard and is perfect. No car park noise, no noise during u turns, and perfect drive through both axles every time.

So impressed with the build quality but more so on the product performance.
Initially was going to get a cusco 1.5, got offered kaaz, but saved more and went os.
No reports of a failure or rebuild that I could find.
No run in required
Extended oil change period, not every 5,000km
Used genuine os giken oil, recommend changing at 20, 000km.
4x oil cost, ~$100 aud each change =400 , brings cusco running cost much closer to initial os purchase cost.

I have also driven a tomei (made by kaaz) and was a bit ckunky for a while, then settled down and didn't make noise with sharp turns.
Seriously considering changing out my trd for a new os giken.

Either way you go, aftermarket lsd is well worthwhile, providing it is in good condition (used unit), else the used price savings will be eroded with rebuild and potential reliability issues in the future.