Can't seem to find my diagnostics terminals

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Can't seem to find my diagnostics terminals

Postby notnilc20 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:34 pm

Engine: 4age 16v bluetop.
Engine Harness is zenki (no diagnostics black box).
I thought the zenki round yellow 2 female terminal is supposed to be located near the afm....but all i see is the fuel pump T-plug and nothing looks as if it has been cut out. Could it be anywhere else? I also see two yellow round plugs at the rear of the engine around the heater valve. They have caps on them though. Please help as i need to fine tune my timing. Thanks.

jondee86

Re: Can't seem to find my diagnostics terminals

Postby jondee86 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:42 am

Sure its not hiding from you ?

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:36 am

jondee86 wrote:Sure its not hiding from you ?

Cheers... jondee86

Probably is....i'll have to try to find it again. Do you know off hand what color wires go into this plug in case i think i find it? Thanks.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:37 am

There are 2 yellow pig tails on the firewall harness near the wiper motor and charcoal canister.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:17 pm

Deuce Cam wrote:There are 2 yellow pig tails on the firewall harness near the wiper motor and charcoal canister.

Yep....those i see....is the one with 2 wires the diagnostics plug?

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:32 pm

Iirc its the smaller one with 2 terminals. Connect the terminals with a test wire. The rest of the procedure is in the kouki service manual floating around in pdf.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:53 pm

Deuce Cam wrote:Iirc its the smaller one with 2 terminals. Connect the terminals with a test wire. The rest of the procedure is in the kouki service manual floating around in pdf.

Hey Deuce...yeah...i just decided to try the smaller one of the two terminals near the firewall. It worked. But I did get a code 11. Which is, according to the diagnostics service manual, either the ac switch on or the tps is not reading. This makes more sense as when the engine is cold it wants to die at idle and when i give it gas it bogs a little until the engine revs a bit maybe around 2-3k rpm. It does this until it warms up. Then it runs smoother and will idle fine on it's own. So i got 11 blinks.....looks like i need a new tps or maybe adjust it.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:38 pm

I tried adjusting the tps today with my ohm meter and couldn't get any good reading. Furthermore, i jumped the diag plug again and noticed it is blinking 7 times as well as 11 times. Blinking 7 times means "throttle angle opening sensor is open or short circuited". So.....with this happening i cannot get into diag mode to set the engine timing to 10deg retarded. So i will either have to fix this tps issue or set my timing to 16 deg. Retarded Without being in diag mode....????

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:11 pm

It sounds like you basically got it.

Fwiw mine throws code 11 but runs good and passes emissions. I haven't attempted to adjust the tps sensor yet.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:27 pm

Deuce Cam wrote:It sounds like you basically got it.

Fwiw mine throws code 11 but runs good and passes emissions. I haven't attempted to adjust the tps sensor yet.

Oh good....that makes me feel better....at least i can get it out of the garage and drive it a little bit. Like always, thanks for you guys' good advice.

morgan
Club4AG Pro

Postby morgan » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:39 am

Deuce Cam wrote:There are 2 yellow pig tails on the firewall harness near the wiper motor and charcoal canister.

^that's it, the one with 2 plugs and a brown cap(sometimes its still there)
E1 & TE1 wires
haha cali...i got one of your 86's and you're not getting it back.
My turd of an 86
20v swapped 86 write-up

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:53 am

Deuce, or anyone else that might know, were you able to get your engine into diagnostics mode with the cel showing a code 11? why i'm asking is because i set the timing to 10 deg. But when i remove the jumper wire the timing does not go to 16 deg like it's supposed to. So i'm thinking that because it's throwing that code maybe that's what's messing me up?? Also i noticed i'm getting a code 7 as well which is related to the angle of the tps. Thanks.