20v silvertop....what's missing?

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

20v silvertop....what's missing?

Postby notnilc20 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:50 pm

Hey all,

When i bought my 86 this came with it. What am i missing to do a 20v swap? Would i be better off buying a complete swap kit so to say? I only have the head, maf sensor, those plastic intake thingys. Ecu and cam gears. What do you 4age experts think?

I have a running complete bluetop in the car now. Block is a largeport 3 rib.

taroroot
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: 20v silvertop....what's missing?

Postby taroroot » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:04 pm

You're kind of missing a lot. The pistons are different for 20v, also I think oil and water galleries might not be exactly the same so I don't know if you could just plop the head on your block. You're missing the throttle bodies, fuel rail and injectors. You'll need wiring, although I think there are guys selling entire conversion harnesses.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:52 pm

taroroot wrote:You're kind of missing a lot. The pistons are different for 20v, also I think oil and water galleries might not be exactly the same so I don't know if you could just plop the head on your block. You're missing the throttle bodies, fuel rail and injectors. You'll need wiring, although I think there are guys selling entire conversion harnesses.

I see....yeah.....i guess the PO was gathering parts here and there before he lost interest in the entire project. I'll probably just sell all this stuff and when/if i ever wanna go 20v i'll buy an entire kit. Unless i get convinced otherwise. Thanks for the info.

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:34 am

notnilc20 wrote:Hey all,

When i bought my 86 this came with it. What am i missing to do a 20v swap? Would i be better off buying a complete swap kit so to say? I only have the head, maf sensor, those plastic intake thingys. Ecu and cam gears. What do you 4age experts think?

KEEP the running engine for now. Acquire another block, and LEARN about running(swapping) a 20V into your car.

I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH... DO NOT REMOVE A RUNNING ENGINE for a dream of running something else. If you want to build a 20V, go ahead and build a 20V, but research it, plan it(cost, as well as logistics), and then "pull the trigger"
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:19 pm

oldeskewltoy wrote:
notnilc20 wrote:Hey all,

KEEP the running engine for now. Acquire another block, and LEARN about running(swapping) a 20V into your car.

I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH... DO NOT REMOVE A RUNNING ENGINE for a dream of running something else. If you want to build a 20V, go ahead and build a 20V, but research it, plan it(cost, as well as logistics), and then "pull the trigger"

Good advice....thank you

mad_86
Club4AG Expert

Postby mad_86 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:05 am

That advice should be STICKYed!!!!!

I seen a LOT off ppl do what OST is talking about,
And never to really enjoy a corolla,
Drive and enjoy your car with what it has now
Due basic tune-up freshen it up, you wanna drive it all the time. Just learn more about the car n the swap before ripping out the motor.

gL