Gts driveshaft slip yoke opinions

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Gts driveshaft slip yoke opinions

Postby notnilc20 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:36 pm

Hey there.....i have a extra gts driveshaft but i was wondering what do you think about this slip yoke at the end of the shaft? It's the part that slips onto the transmission output shaft. See the thing is....is it was rusty.....so i cleaned it up a bit and it has some pitting on the slip yoke (see pic). I think it's still good to go and will seal fine but what do you all think? I can't use this driveshaft because i did a gm rear end and i'm having a custom made ds done for me. Thanks.

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro

Re: Gts driveshaft slip yoke opinions

Postby totta crolla » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:52 am

If you are having a custom shaft made with that T50 yoke then I think you would be better starting with a known quantity, one that you know is good.
What state are the splines in ?

davew7
Club4AG Expert

Postby davew7 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:27 am

You are asking a lot from the tail shaft seal with that rough of a surface to seal against. Even if it would seal it, the seal probably would not last very long running on that surface. If you are getting a custom length drive shaft made, the drive shaft company should be able to get a new yoke in less then a week.
Dave W

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:27 am

davew7 wrote:You are asking a lot from the tail shaft seal with that rough of a surface to seal against. Even if it would seal it, the seal probably would not last very long running on that surface. If you are getting a custom length drive shaft made, the drive shaft company should be able to get a new yoke in less then a week.
Dave W

totta crolla wrote:If you are having a custom shaft made with that T50 yoke then I think you would be better starting with a known quantity, one that you know is good.
What state are the splines in ?

Yeah.....sorry i did not clarify......i ask because i intend on selling this gts driveshaft and want to be able to fully disclose to any potential buyer....

Yes DaveW i think you're right about the seal....the surface would probably be too harsh for the seal in a long term application....

TottaCrolla,
The splines are in terrific condition. (Pic below)

I guess i could sell it "as-is" and just let it be known to potential buyer the condition of the slip yoke.

I'm having a driveshaft made all new components....i paid $350 after shipping. Does that seem high to you guys? It's steel not aluminum.

davew7
Club4AG Expert

Postby davew7 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:40 am

I paid $250 for my drive shaft. All new parts. No shipping charges, local shop, but it seems that shipping over size parts also get $ plus, plus mark ups. Dave W