Having trouble with rack set up

JMcKibbin
Club4AG Regular

Having trouble with rack set up

Postby JMcKibbin » Sat May 21, 2016 10:19 pm

Hello,
As the title says I'm having trouble with my rack swap. I'm using a AW111 rack and mk3 intermediate shaft. Using power steering inners and outers and using the t3 manual spacers. Well one side is at full lock and the other side there is no way it is going to go into the steering knuckle, (also t3 zero Ackerman.) I'm thinking I need to remove the spacers. Any suggestions would be appreciated not sure how to post pictures on here i can send emails or I'm on Instagram TheMcKibbin is my handle.

aaronlee133
Club4AG Expert

Re: Having trouble with rack set up

Postby aaronlee133 » Mon May 23, 2016 12:13 pm

i've done the manual rack conversion but still not sure I follow. Did you re-center the rack (here's the important bit) on the car with the spacer included? By T3 spacer I assume you mean their high steering angle spacer? The AW11 rack sits differently than the AE86 PS rack so basically the outer tie rods aren't going to be evenly threaded on both sides into the inner tie rods. From what i gather that seems to be the issue you're having.

To post pics, first upload them to something like shutterfly and then copy the link from shutterfly into the forum.

-Aaron

JMcKibbin
Club4AG Regular

Postby JMcKibbin » Fri May 27, 2016 11:50 am

Hey man I figured out the problem. The T3 outer tie rods are substantially longer than the OEM ones so I replaced my inner rods with a shorter set and that fixed the issue no more issues! Much appreciated.

saiGone
Club4AG Expert

Postby saiGone » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:12 am

I believe you are supposed to use manual rack specific inner tie rods
Club 4AG member since 05 (Formally SaigonsSon)

Unknone86
Club4AG Regular

Postby Unknone86 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:26 pm

I'm about to do the same conversion, aw11 manual rack, space adapter, intermediate shaft, manual inner and out rods, ect.

I was wondering if I can change out the intermediate shaft without removing the main steering shaft, how have you guys gone about this? I've read the process in my service manual but it doesn't seem to say.

Do I need to get new claw washers and what does the manual mean when it says to "steak them"?

Also one of my dust boots is toast from my headers blowing out and falling on it a couple years back. What replacement boots work?

Anything else I should look out for or something?

Thanks a bunch, Kedar

Jtek
Club4AG Regular

Postby Jtek » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:23 pm

How about a good old fashioned alignment at a shop?

SR85DET
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby SR85DET » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:10 pm

Ive done this swap as well. I'm not sure about exact tie rods but the inners for AW11, AE86 power and AE86 manual are different in lengths.

Unknone86
Club4AG Regular

Postby Unknone86 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:27 pm

I got it all to work just fine. Swap was easier than I thought it would be. Intermediate shaft slips out with a few hits with a mallet. mr2 boots and new washers tapped to an angle.