Ignition but car dies after starter wire replacement

ApexTaq
Club4AG Regular

Ignition but car dies after starter wire replacement

Postby ApexTaq » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:30 pm

I had a broken plastic clip on the starter motor wire that kept popping off. I swapped in an entire new wire from battery to starter after much hassle. I had to remove the distributor to do this, so I expect the ignition timing is now off, but the last time I just reinserted the broken clip, the car started and ran more or less fine though with sketchy ignition. Now, the starter cranks, I get some ignition, then the engine dies. Can't hold an idle. Additionally, I get some crunching from the starter and bad gas smell. Any clue what I could have done? Is it just terrible timing from the distributor removal or is there a way to incorrectly insert the starter? The bolts are in and everything's hooked up.

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Re: Ignition but car dies after starter wire replacement

Postby Jeonsah » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:50 am

In this thread it shows how the distributor should be lined up:

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=8286

I would double check your engine is at top dead center (TDC) and that your distributor is inserted correctly. The marks on the dizzy shaft should line up and the rotor should be pointing to #1 ignition lead on the cap.

ApexTaq
Club4AG Regular

Postby ApexTaq » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:27 pm

Ok, thanks. That's a great thread. I'll check out if the distributor is aligned and see about a rebuild it if it needs it too.

ApexTaq
Club4AG Regular

Postby ApexTaq » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:08 pm

Well, the starter still works and the dizzy doesn't need a rebuild, but I can't get it to hold an idle at all now. Just cranks with a little sputtering. Engine was at TDC with the crankshaft pulley gear at the 0 mark. The two camshaft gears were also aligned. Could see the dimple through the oil cap. Dizzy's rotor was pointing at cylinder 1 sparkplug lead and the two bolts were mostly centered in the flanges, though the left one is higher up. Had no problem inserting it in that position, just slid in.

Hope it's not somehow a fuel issue now, but I can't imagine that would just start to be a problem right now out of nowhere. Not sure what to do now.

Earlier, I got it to hold an idle at like 400-500 but it sounded like a dying tractor. Didn't know to align the rotor to cylinder 1 at that point, so that could've been the problem.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:52 pm

Try advancing the distributor. Turn it anti-clockwise about an 1/8" (at the fixing bolt)
at a time and check the effect. More advance should raise the idle.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

ApexTaq
Club4AG Regular

Postby ApexTaq » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:00 pm

I'll give it a shot. Could the exhaust manifold have anything to do with this? I'm still using the old metal gasket that was on it when I had to move the manifold a couple inches to get to the starter stuff.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:25 pm

I have re-used exhaust manifold gaskets many times, and unless they were
broken/torn you should not have a problem. Fuel should not be a problem because
you didn't change or disturb anything. First adjust/check the ignition timing and
make sure the plug leads are on the right plugs (if you had the cap and leads off).

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

aceforever
Club4AG Pro

Postby aceforever » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:47 pm

If you suspect the ignition is off, maybe try put the ECU in diagnostic mode and use a timing lamp?