1985 gts zenki problems

ismaelAE86
Club4AG Regular

1985 gts zenki problems

Postby ismaelAE86 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:38 pm

hey guys i just got a 1985 gts but the car stop working i dont know why 2 mechanic came to check the car no idea of the problem the car cranks but theres no spark passing throw the distribute or the injectors i really need help just got the car i spend like 2200 and the car is not running please help me out thank you guys !!!!!

kennyb01
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: 1985 gts zenki problems

Postby kennyb01 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:16 pm

Try a different coil. If not the coil an ignitor. Other issues could ne mag pickup and tach signal in the distributor itself. Although this is quite unlikely. I have a later model ignitor not sure if the plugs are identical. As far as fuel delivery does your pump kick on? If not start with a fuel pump relay. If that doesnt fix it it's likely the pump.

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:12 am

I hate to say it but your best bet may be to find a shop that knows these cars, or take it to a dealer. Because the AE88s used an oddball ignition system that no much else ever used. If you have time to DIY...you'll need to be more specific about what is wrong.

Does the starter crank, spin the engine up, but there is NO response from the engine? No stumbling, no ignition at all? Or does the engine stumble and try to start?

Is the engine original, or did the PO "improve" things under the hood? Or replace the engine?

How did you test for no spark, no ignition? What did you test?

These cars also can and will cut off spark and fuel and prevent themselves from starting if there's any break in the AFM wiring to the ECU, part of the oddball ways they can drive you nuts if you don't know them. That's why sometimes it pays to find someone who knows these cars, not just a good mechanic who has to start by reading the manuals.
-- Original owner, 1985 GT-S

ismaelAE86
Club4AG Regular

Postby ismaelAE86 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:45 pm

the engine cranks and it does spin too and the car was test by a mechanic with professional equipment but he told me that my problem could be the ignitor.

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:54 am

"Professional" just means he gets paid money. A real professional can do better than say "it could be" they can pin it down to "the problem is".

Cranks & spins means the starter is working, doesn't say if the timing is a problem, or if the engine is getting spark or fuel. Testing for spark is pretty easy, using a spark tester or pulling a plug wire to check for spark. But if there's no spark, that can still be the ignitor, or coil, or the ECU not getting all signals like the AFM so the ECU cuts off the spark.

Since an ignitor is a $600 part and an aftermarket ignitor a $300 part (if you can find one) and a junkyard ignitor is always questionable...You need someone who can find and follow the Toyota diagnostics to make sure the ECU is not cutting off the spark.

Which is also apparently how the rev limited function is implemented, at 8000 rpm it shuts the ignitor down and doesn't turn it on again until <7500rpm.

A bad AFM wire, for instance, tells the ECU "there's no air flowing, the engine is not running, we must hve crashed. Quickly, shut it down." And in theory that only happens when the ignition is in the "RUN" position, it gets bypassed during "START", so if the engine isn't firing up while the key is held in "START"...it is something else. The distributor also uses two outputs, two different signals, for RUN-vs-START, so a distributor connection to the ignitor can also be a problem. There are two connectors coming off the distributor to the ignitor/harness for this, if you get very lucky one of them is loose or dirty.

These cars were just different enough so that even the Toyota dealers didn't know how to work on them when they were new. Now, the trick is to find someone who knows, or knows how to figure it out, and hasn't forgotten it all too.
-- Original owner, 1985 GT-S

ismaelAE86
Club4AG Regular

Postby ismaelAE86 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:21 pm

yeah you right that mechanic just told me it could be and i was about to tell him i could pay you or i could not but im redoing the harness and i found burn cables so im going to fix that and then my next step would be the ignitor but yeah i dont have 600 dollars so i will have to look here in club4ag and in a junkyard but here in miami not even one junkyard has a ae86