5spd dogbox transmission T50 for Toyota, AE86 etc. models

gearmotive

5spd dogbox transmission T50 for Toyota, AE86 etc. models

Postby gearmotive » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:26 pm

Hi there.

I've been searching trough and there doesn't seem to be a lot of Dogbox trannies available for older RWD Toyotas.
What would you say about having a tranny like this, would there be interest towards this?:

https://www.facebook.com/gearmotive/vid ... /?theater#
http://www.gearmotive.com

More images will come a bit later. Tranny can be fitted in to other models too.

Riku @ GearMotive

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro

Re: 5spd dogbox transmission T50 for Toyota, AE86 etc. model

Postby totta crolla » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:17 am

I really like that.
Guess it comes down to price, reliability, cost and frequency of replacing dog rings.

What are the ratios ?

ae86cesar
Club4AG Regular

Postby ae86cesar » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:45 am

Hp and tq ratings? Price?

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

gearmotive

Postby gearmotive » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:41 pm

Service interval depends a lot of usage, where and how it's used.

Some of our gearboxes have been used in rally for 5-10 years without big service. But if the gearbox is badly used, "abused", the service interval usually comes in 1-2 years.

It's hard to say the actual ratings for the gearbox, once again it comes to use scenario. In rally racing, where there are jumps, holes in the gravel road etc. the gearbox is under much bigger forces. But anyways, the torque is the thing that breaks the gears, not HP, max torque used in rally car with this gearbox is rated over 300Nm, 2.4l Duratec engine. I would say the torque limit goes between 300-400Nm. The gear modules are strong and gears are quite wide, but case itself adds some restrictions.

Ratios for the tranny in the video are:
1. 2.1
2. 1.62
3. 1.33
4. 1.133
5. 1.0

We aim to build the 1st gear long in order to get the other gear ratios close where more power is needed due to increasing friction, air resistance etc. This way, the engine screams for more gears, instead of just knurling and trying to achieve the redline :D But we can build different ratios as well, but these have approved to be a good combination with different Final drive ratios.

E.g., check out this video of my MR2, with 6spd gearbox :)
https://youtu.be/4M1qxWV5rXM?t=37

Price range aroung 3k usd with current currency ratio (for one piece order), excluding the original tranny case, which is needed for build.

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro

Postby totta crolla » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:38 pm

Toyota final drives any lower than 4.778 are difficult to obtain, really expensive and by all accounts not very strong so I would like ratios that would work with a 4.778
Could you do a 1st gear somewhere around 2.5 and keep your 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th gears ?
The deal is I send you a good casing and you send me a ready to fit gearbox to the U.K ?
Can you tell me the price for this in U.K Pounds Stirling please.
Thanks

gearmotive

Postby gearmotive » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:43 pm

totta crolla wrote:Toyota final drives any lower than 4.778 are difficult to obtain, really expensive and by all accounts not very strong so I would like ratios that would work with a 4.778
Could you do a 1st gear somewhere around 2.5 and keep your 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th gears ?
The deal is I send you a good casing and you send me a ready to fit gearbox to the U.K ?
Can you tell me the price for this in U.K Pounds Stirling please.
Thanks

By quick calculations, we should be able to find a strong teething for ~2.5 1st gear as well.
I would like to know more about your setup, engine, top power RPM, top torque RPM, where car is used, what size of tires etc. so I can calculate what will be top speeds etc. if you are willing to give me that info?

Can you send an email about the info to "riku (at) gearmotive.com"? As, this is not actually a sales thread, I just wanted to inform about the tech and get some info about interest.

P.S. Here's an image of full setup fitted for Mazda RX7.
http://goo.gl/pbTrMd

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:49 pm

If you do make these available I'd throw them up on my site. Hit me up if you are interested in talking about it.
http://www.matrixgarage.com/content/contact-us
I see you have a pic of an AW11 on your site. Do you have any transverse C or E series options?

gearmotive

Postby gearmotive » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:03 am

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:If you do make these available I'd throw them up on my site. Hit me up if you are interested in talking about it.
http://www.matrixgarage.com/content/contact-us
I see you have a pic of an AW11 on your site. Do you have any transverse C or E series options?

Great. We are manufacturing these all the time, but they are not just drop in option to OEM cases, cases require mods etc. So we build these on demand, though we are all the time having gear sets on stock, but building them on cases is done on demand.

We are having AW11 / Corolla FX 4AGE tranny model too (I'm not sure which C-series model is used where?) and during the spring have also E15x/E5x model available for Turbo MR2/Celica etc. models.

- Riku

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro

Re: 5spd dogbox transmission T50 for Toyota, AE86 etc. models

Postby totta crolla » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:54 am

Who needs a 'middle man' when the manufacturer will sell direct ?
Come to think of it, tell you what you send the gearboxes to my customers ready to fit and I'll add on 50% for me and you and I will have a deal that stops my customers buying direct ! Sounds fair.

Ratranger
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Ratranger » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:23 am

How much modification does the case need? It might be easier to buy just the gears and have the case modified here. Shipping is already high coming from overseas. I mention this because I have access to CNC and manual machines so modifying the case is not a big deal.
4age bigport in a 73 spitfire

gearmotive

Postby gearmotive » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:43 pm

It requires welding to case and shifter linkage bars + milling to case + drilling new holes to bars etc. Quite many modifications after all. And when we do it, we can be sure everything works as expected.

Ofc. we can find the cases locally, build them and the price of the case is added to gearset.

Couple of more photos:
https://www.facebook.com/gearmotive/pos ... 2244873071

gaijin_rokurunner
Club4AG Pro

Postby gaijin_rokurunner » Wed May 17, 2017 7:16 am

Old post but where are u located ?
20v power.....powered by Orion's Demise!

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro

Postby totta crolla » Thu May 18, 2017 1:10 am

gaijin_rokurunner wrote:Old post but where are u located ?

They are based in Finland.
Here is another option also based in Finland so it may be the same product:
http://www.esapeltonen.fi/lampola.htm
and here is a video showing the sweet Lampola gearbox in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84tOxFDBuUs
Very well driven too !

mad_86
Club4AG Expert

Postby mad_86 » Fri May 26, 2017 12:59 pm

IF any one is looking for dogbox for some reason need you can run a FC3S trans mounting plate to 4ag block
so you can mount FC3S trans. because they sell bolt on Dogbox trans for FC3S
taka ran this set but way back on the Falken AE86 4ag turbo

gearmotive

Postby gearmotive » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:03 pm

Hi,

We are based in Finland. You can find more information from our website or facebook:
http://www.gearmotive.com

Our trannies have been used widely in different national and international racing series.

Here's video how year 2017 rallysprint championship winner Mika Lemmetti goes with his Toyota Starlet having GearMotive T50 dogbox transmission:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tjcxEgqkOg

Regards,
Riku @ GearMotive

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro

Postby totta crolla » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:00 am

I keep considering buying one of these gearboxes but each time I'm put off by the very tall 1st gear ratio.
Whilst I realise that a lot of customers will be using the gearbox with different axles my car is an AE86 with a T series axle and final drive ratios lower than 4.778 are expensive, short lived and hard to come by. My experience has been with a Quaife Type 9 2.39 1st gear 4.3 and 4.778 final drive. The 4.778 is about ideal with a 2.39 1st (185/60/13 tyre)
2.09 1st (Gearmotive) would require a 5.1 or 5.375 final drive and being a 1.1 top gear that may limit the maximum speed too much.
Have Gearmotive considered supplying with a lower 1st gear ratio ?
I am totally convinced by the quality of the product.

gearmotive

Postby gearmotive » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:13 pm

Hi Totta Crolla,

Yep, that's true, they use either Toyota axles or even Volvo axles, which are really strong choices and have very high FD available for affordable prices.

So you are driving with 13" tyre etc. Can you tell me more specs, redline, required top speed, engine displacement/torque, what type of racing? All these affect. Most of the people with 1.6l engines and up have seen the longer 1st being a benefit after they have tested the tranny in their car. Some guys are running 4.73 FD with this tranny.

About shorter 1st, yeah, we are planning to have 2.27 1st gear sets latest for the summer hopefully. We have made one 2.3 already, but 2.27 provides better tooth profiles so aiming to concentrate on that. We will be prototyping a few sets and later manufacture more if there's interest.

If you like, you can always contact us by email or FB as well :)

Thanks,
Riku @ GearMotive

greghotz

Postby greghotz » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:49 pm

Just a note with an Option.
Jamie Houseman (Houseman Transmissions) make a T50 Dog Box trans and he's in Canada, He's been making them for years and they are great units!