Maroon carpet replacement - '85 GTS

Lowtekk
Club4AG Enthusiast

Maroon carpet replacement - '85 GTS

Postby Lowtekk » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:10 pm

I've got an '85 USDM GTS hatch with a maroon interior. I've considered swapping out the maroon/red/brown interior with something black + grey, but I just can't do it. The maroon just works in this car even if it sucks finding parts for. That and I'm keeping the car somewhat original and the mods reversible.

Anyways. I'm in search of a replacement carpet kit to match the original maroon. Mine is all sun faded (turns brownish!) and full of 30 years of gunk. As best I can tell the original carpet is a loop design, not cut pile like more modern stuff. The closest color I can find at any of the online carpet shops (ACC, stockinteriors.com, etc.) is something called "oxblood", but it still isn't 100%. Most of the full on "maroon" colors on these websites is way to red and halfway to purple.

Has anyone found a good aftermarket carpet color match for the factory maroon? Most places will sell extra yardage as well, so I can do the trunk and get some mats done up as well.

Pic of the car for good measure. Thanks!

Engmus
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Maroon carpet replacement - '85 GTS

Postby Engmus » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:16 am

Honestly i'd switch out for Cut-Pile from the more modern carpet guys you can find out there. Holds up better, ask for a Color sample from whatever website you want they sendem free.

Lowtekk
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Lowtekk » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:49 pm

I sent away for a couple of samples from Auto Custom Carpets (https://www.accmats.com) and Stock Interiors (http://www.stockinteriors.com). Here's what came back up against the factory carpet. Obviously the carpet websites' color representations look a lot different on a computer screen.

The least faded section I could find was under the floor mats. You can see how the original maroon/burgundy color has faded into what can only be described as a brownish grey. The original floor mats have faded to a moldy green. That's what 30 years in the California sun will do.

The current winning color is "875 Claret/Oxblood" from ACC (upper right in the above picture). It isn't a cheap kit ($300) but I'd rather only do this once. I'd also be ordering extra yardage to do the trunk and the backs of the rear seats. Lastly I need to find someone with original "sawtooth" floor mats to see if they're a better fit over the under carpet heating vents. The mats that came in the car may not be original (even though they are Toyota mats).

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:49 pm

Cool! Please update this thread with a write up and review when the new carpet is fitted.

FYI (although I've never seen them in person), the oem floor mats seem to fit the contour of the floor pan perfectly. They don't actually go over the hump in the floor where the vent is, hence the 'sawtooth' shape. I've seen oem copies that seemed to fit good, but I've never seen mats from other models (or universal) that fit right; they work but not great because of the odd shape of the floor, and almost always sit on top of the floor hump where the vent is.

If you google search 'ae86 floor mat' the first couple pics show them fitted.

Lowtekk
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Lowtekk » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:52 pm

Deuce Cam wrote:Cool! Please update this thread with a write up and review when the new carpet is fitted.

FYI (although I've never seen them in person), the oem floor mats seem to fit the contour of the floor pan perfectly. They don't actually go over the hump in the floor where the vent is, hence the 'sawtooth' shape. I've seen oem copies that seemed to fit good, but I've never seen mats from other models (or universal) that fit right; they work but not great because of the odd shape of the floor, and almost always sit on top of the floor hump where the vent is.

If you google search 'ae86 floor mat' the first couple pics show them fitted.

Will do. I just ordered the front carpet kit and enough raw yardage to do the trunk, back seat, and floor mats (complete with rubber nibs). I'll have to find someone with the original sawtooth mats and make a template. Otherwise I can probably template my own based off the floor itself and some cardboard.

Either way I'll post up the results.