running too rich. Failed smog. now im gross. please help

Jacare
Club4AG Enthusiast

running too rich. Failed smog. now im gross. please help

Postby Jacare » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:25 pm

So I'm a gross polluter. Awesome. And I really need to pass smog because my corolla is currently the only form of transportation I have. I change a slew of parts over the past few weeks to be safe and still tanked because I'm running wat too rich. Please help me out. My mechanic skills are very basic, so diagnostics isn't my specialty. Please assist me.thank you club

My results, for whatever reason the forum cutesy.picture off, if you click it pull be able to see he complete result

Jacare
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: running too rich. Failed smog. now im gross. please he

Postby Jacare » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:11 pm

Info on what was done over the past week

Changed the oil, distributor cap and rotor, changes my spark plugs, exhaust flange gasket. And seafoamed before it all. I only run 91 in my tank. May grab e85 but will it Eben help

Tora
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Tora » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:49 pm

GTS or SR5?

Jacare
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Jacare » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:02 pm

This is a 1987 corolla gts. With a cherry bomb turbo ii muffler. Everything else about it is stock

garagetoyo

Postby garagetoyo » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:25 pm

Check your O2 sensor. If you have never replaced it you might just want to get a new one.
Be sure the coolant temperature sensor is working.
Clean your EGR ports. You failed the functional. Also make sure to check the EGR modulator. A quick way to check is to blow in the bottom port. Its the plastic thing attached to the EGR. You Should see the letters P Q R on the top.
After you are sure the electronics are working properly I would check the cat. Its probably worn out. They dont like rich mixtures.

Jacare
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Jacare » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:57 pm

Any other things I can change out? How do I know if my cats worn? Any foolproof vacuum set up. The diagram gives me a headache

garagetoyo

Postby garagetoyo » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:58 am

I'm not one to just throw parts at a car. I wouldn't worry about changing stuff out until you are sure everything is working. Unfortunately to do it yourself you will need a digital multi meter. I would pick up a cheap meter from somewhere like harbor freight and backprobe the sensors. The AFM, coolant temp sensor, TPS and O2 all control the fuel. If one gives a false signal you will run rich or lean. If you have been running rich for a while the cat is probably toast. To test the cat go to a test and repair station and have them run the car in pre-test mode. If the electronics are all working properly and you still fail put in a new cat. If you just put a cat on you might pass the test but will ruin the cat and next time you will have the same issue. It is very hard to diagnose stuff like this over the internet without seeing the car, but this advice should be good for any car that fails smog.

A 4AGE repair manual can be found here http://www.aeu86.org/index/technical-ae86-manuals/cat/9/topic=5158. It has all the procedures to test the electronics.

Jacare
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Jacare » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:43 pm

Thank you for the pointers sir. Will go over them after the game and I'll try to do them this week.

Other clues: my car has a very rough idle. Super high at first turning on. And after warmed up it fluctuates when not in gear. From 1k to about 600 back and forth. Like mini revs.

My booster may also be sucking. It leaks brake fluid where it meets with the master cylinder (which is new) and when I depress the brake at a stand still the revs go up anywhere from 200 to 400

Man it sucks not being mechanically inclined like some of you are. Guess this.car is a good please to start right?

yellowsnow4free
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yellowsnow4free » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:23 pm

Do all of the above, but don't forget to warm your car up before bringing it in to smog. A warm cat = cleaner emissions.

Also, make sure your timing is correct.

Good luck! :)

Tora
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Tora » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:07 pm

Jacare wrote:Other clues: my car has a very rough idle. Super high at first turning on. And after warmed up it fluctuates when not in gear. From 1k to about 600 back and forth. Like mini revs.

My booster may also be sucking. It leaks brake fluid where it meets with the master cylinder (which is new) and when I depress the brake at a stand still the revs go up anywhere from 200 to 400

Man it sucks not being mechanically inclined like some of you are. Guess this.car is a good please to start right?

Inconsistent / fluctuating idle is a pretty big indication that something is up. Definitely time for a new brake master, at the very least. Brake fluid is extremely bad for paint / anything else it gets on. This is a great car to learn basic mechanical skills on.