KOUKI & ZENKI

Coroller84
Club4AG Regular

KOUKI & ZENKI

Postby Coroller84 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:23 pm

Im not completely clear as to what the exact difference between Kouki and Zenki when it come to installing parts. (i heard some fit defferently)
anyway, im working on getting parts (front and back bumpers)

i there a specific model im supposed to be looking for when doing this to an 84 sr-5?

thanks

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Re: KOUKI & ZENKI

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:44 pm

If I heard it right,it's based between production years for the model ae86's..zenki being early 84-85 & kouki late 86-87
________________________________________________________________________________
Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop.
Toy House Automotive & Engineering
87 GTS Coupe
85 Toyota Truck V-8 Matching Trailer
72 Blown 6-71 Pro Street Vega

LongGrain

Postby LongGrain » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:38 pm

the parts are interchangeable.

kouki denotes later model (86-87 in our case)
Zenki is early model (84-85)

as far as bumpers are concerned, they are styled differently, ie: they look different. So pick the one you like better.

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:16 pm

Zenki is the years 1984 and 1985
Kouki is the years 1986 and 1987

There are some overlap between the late years of zenki and the early years of kouki. As far as looks, there are differences in the just about everything. There are different sized mouldings, different plastic pieces/bumpers on the front and rear. There are differences in the interior as well. For example, the backings of the GTS seats for zenki and kouki models. Zenki are a square and Kouki are square but go a little further into the headrest. Another is paint codes. There are paint schemes that only came on Kouki models. Other noticeable differences between Zenki and Kouki are the instrument clusters and wiring harnesses. These are not mixeable. They have different engine harnesses that use different diagnostic plugs.

All in all, there ARE differences and some parts are mixeable and some ARE not. All of the parts are interchangeable(there is a difference between mixeable and changeable). The differences I posted above are just a few of many. If you are replacing parts, I would try to stick with the same year. Just about the only thing I would change would be the rear ends. Kouki rear ends came with bigger diameter axles and so they're stronger.

If you are doing a GTS swap on an 84 SR5, I would take all the parts from the GTS and put them on your SR5. This will keep the car consistent and it will have a better chance of being reliable if it is your first time. However, if you like the interior in your SR5, you can keep it. Interior is preference. If you want to keep the car completely Zenki, then you must swap parts from a 1985 GTS model. (some people are very picky about this)

Another thing to consider is cost-effectiveness. It is normally just better to buy a GTS and stick with it rather than converting the SR5. You may save more money that way and you wont have to worry about screwing something.