Traction Brackets

LimitlessAlex
Club4AG Regular

Traction Brackets

Postby LimitlessAlex » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:27 pm

So I was having a discussion with my buddy tonight about the function of traction brackets.
As far as I understand, they help provide antisquat on the rear suspension?

When we build 240's specifically for drifting, sometimes it's nice to have a lot of squat to induce traction on the rear tires under power. Kind of like drag cars. So the question is... would removing the traction brackets on my current setup do the same?

I'm going to find a good trackday where I'll have time to work on my car and try to figure that out.
In the meantime, what are your guys' thoughts on the matter?

LongGrain

Re: Traction Brackets

Postby LongGrain » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:19 pm

their purpose IS to increase traction by reducing wheel hop and preventing axle wrap.

if your car is low you definitely want them.

LimitlessAlex
Club4AG Regular

Postby LimitlessAlex » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:30 pm

what is axle wrap?

LongGrain

Postby LongGrain » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:52 pm

when the axle rotates forward or backward under load.

chohdog
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby chohdog » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:04 am

"Anti-squat" isn't really what it does. Think of it this way: when your car is stock, every angle of the suspension geometry is calculated with each measurement in mind. When stock, everything works the way its supposed to. When you lower the car, you changed one equation, which in turn changed another equation, which changes another equation...and so on.

Traction brackets help to remedy one of the equations that got changed, which is the angle of the lower control arms. They move the arms back to an angle closer to the stock location, allowing the the lower arms to function much in the same way they did when they were stock. One of these benefits is preventing axle wrap, as indicated earlier. If you have time, look up "axle wrap" on youtube and you'll see videos of the third member moving all over the place when throttle is applied.

LimitlessAlex
Club4AG Regular

Postby LimitlessAlex » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:13 am

interesting. i see how the torque of the wheels pulling forward would push the axle down into the ground on a stock setup.
i wonder if there's a good place to put a camera under the car to record what my 4 link/traction bracket setup looks like under acceleration.

assassin10000
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby assassin10000 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:44 pm

... drag car's don't want 'squat'. They want Anti-squat. But not more than that 1:1 ratio. (meaning car stays flat on accel)

I <3 traction brackets.

Axle wrap on our car's is mostly a problem of the 4-link bushings, 20+ years old = wrap. New bushings or heim joint 4-links solve that, but don't solve the problem with too much squat due to control arm angle changes.

Andrew