Stripped Fuel line bolt! Help!

xorzero
Club4AG Regular

Stripped Fuel line bolt! Help!

Postby xorzero » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:28 pm

Hi guys, so i have been trying to track down a fuel starvation issue that happens under hard cornering and worsens as the fuel level drops with my 1985 GTS. So i wanted to lower the tank to see if it was a GTS or a SR5 tank, (I was told that i needed to look inside and see if it had baffles, Maybe someone can help with how to identify the difference between a GTS and SR5 tank) But when i got down there i noticed that the bolt was stripped and had absolutely no luck getting it off even with a line wrench.

I wanted to know if anyone has come across this issue? What are my options at this point since its a banjo bolt on the hardline?

Thanks guys!

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Re: Stripped Fuel line bolt! Help!

Postby Jeonsah » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:33 pm

vice grips

xorzero
Club4AG Regular

Postby xorzero » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:44 pm

Jeonsah wrote:vice grips

I can try that to take it off but how would I replace that banjo bolt without butting the hard line?

Zenki85
Club4AG Expert

Postby Zenki85 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:37 pm

xorzero wrote:

I can try that to take it off but how would I replace that banjo bolt without butting the hard line?

PB blaster vice grip and a open wrench to hold the nut next to it. Had the same issue when I was switching fuel pumps
TEAM 'CLASSIC
A 'CLASSICALIFORNIACAR
Adriansadriano@yahoo.com - email

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:38 pm

xorzero wrote:

After removing it with vise grips, cut the hard line w/small pipe cutter, remove & replace flare nut, reflare with flaring tool.. Done
________________________________________________________________________________
Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop.
Toy House Automotive & Engineering
87 GTS Coupe
85 Toyota Truck V-8 Matching Trailer
72 Blown 6-71 Pro Street Vega

xorzero
Club4AG Regular

Postby xorzero » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:13 am

KonaTrueno723 wrote:
xorzero wrote:

After removing it with vise grips, cut the hard line w/small pipe cutter, remove & replace flare nut, reflare with flaring tool.. Done

Thanks allot guys! Ill look into getting a flaring tool, and a pipe cutter. Any of you know the easiest way to spot if my car has a GTS tank or SR5 tank?

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:53 pm

If you have a fuel injected dohc 4age, you have a GTS tank.. A carbureted sohc 4ac, an SR-5 tank..
Your GTS should have an in tank fuel pump for the F inj. with hardlines as seen in photos... SR-5 tank, simple hose clamp connections.
On your last fill up, upon removal of the fuel fill cap was there a strong vacuum like suction?

From the looks of the stripped flare nut, someone before you had tried to repair & remedy its existing fuel/starvation problem.
________________________________________________________________________________
87 GTS Coupe

Mankow
Club4AG Regular

Postby Mankow » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:19 pm

I ended re-flaring mine because a previous owner stripped mine out, then just cut the line and called it day :? , so I ended up re-flaring and replacing that flex line with braided SS with AN fittings. Let me know if you want pics or the parts I used, since that flex line may become too short if you cut the hardline and re-flare.
90 Celica ST - Daily
86 Corolla GTS Coupe - who knows
04 Triumph Speed Four

xorzero
Club4AG Regular

Postby xorzero » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:29 pm

Mankow wrote:I ended re-flaring mine because a previous owner stripped mine out, then just cut the line and called it day :? , so I ended up re-flaring and replacing that flex line with braided SS with AN fittings. Let me know if you want pics or the parts I used, since that flex line may become too short if you cut the hardline and re-flare.

Yea man pics and parts would be really great! i agree that the hard line feels like it will be too short.

Also can you guys see the baffles if you take out the tank balance thing from the inside of the hatch area? I'm looking around with a flashlight and dont see any baffles..

Mankow
Club4AG Regular

Postby Mankow » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:29 pm

heres a link to the parts I used the prices where from random ebay vendors I was just totaling for my records https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_JfWpO7jUPbQTFJOEt6ZEdpTFU/edit
90 Celica ST - Daily
86 Corolla GTS Coupe - who knows
04 Triumph Speed Four

xorzero
Club4AG Regular

Postby xorzero » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:29 pm

Mankow thanks so much man, i will definitely try and tackle this!

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:54 pm

Braided hoses are always nice! Great upgrade..
87 GTS Coupe