Are rear spring insulators optional?

The Bloody Panda
Club4AG Expert

Are rear spring insulators optional?

Postby The Bloody Panda » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:00 am

Anybody got any experience with deleting the rear spring insulators? I've seen that it's common over on the Mustang forums for guys to get rid of the insulators just to get a little more drop at the rear and none of them seem to be noticing any problems. I'm mainly concerned with damaging the chassis or perches without the rubber there. NVH is not a concern for me. I'm looking into this from a standpoint of ever so slightly firmer suspension and a very small ride height decrease. I'm running the Tein springs and shocks in the rear and I've been debating about cutting a quarter of a coil off the springs but I'm very hesitant to do so.

mideng
Club4AG Expert

Re: Are rear spring insulators optional?

Postby mideng » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:34 pm

Its marginal

I rather cut springs then run without insulators

I run two coils cut on trd still not low enough

I like it on the low low

The Bloody Panda
Club4AG Expert

Postby The Bloody Panda » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:11 pm

Have you run without the insulators before?

assassin10000
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby assassin10000 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:34 pm

Optional. I run upper with no lower.

Andrew

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:30 am

I don't run either of them. Upper is probably a good idea, since you can wear away the paint and get rust on the body that way.

The Bloody Panda
Club4AG Expert

Postby The Bloody Panda » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:51 am

How long have you been running without them? Do you prefer it for any specific reasons over running the insulators?

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:19 am

Mine were all crusty and rotted out, so I didn't bother trying to find new ones. My car is mostly a track car, doesn't get driven on the street much and almost never in the rain. It also lives in a garage, so I am not that worried about the extra noise or rust like most people would be.

LongGrain

Postby LongGrain » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:57 am

i've ran with mine in and out, I cant tell any difference with noise or anything.

they are so thin, any height change will be extremely marginal.

In my opinion, if you have them and they are in decent shape, might as well use them. If yours are in bad shape and need replacing, IMO i wouldnt bother spending money to replace them and would just leave them out.

I'm also just talking about the top, i wasnt even aware of there being ones for the bottom, never seen any in my life.

The Bloody Panda
Club4AG Expert

Postby The Bloody Panda » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:22 am

Good to know, thank you. I keep reading on the Mustang forums that no one can tell a difference between with and without in terms of NVH. Of course there are always the individuals chiming in who claim the ride will be god awful without them but they never say whether or not they've tried it.

The Bloody Panda
Club4AG Expert

Postby The Bloody Panda » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:26 am

SInce I'm rolling the track car style 86 that only comes out to play on sunny days I'm going to delete them since mine have seen better days. Mustang guys who delete them are all about wrapping the ends in electrical tape in an effort to avoid metal on metal contact so I'm going to go ahead and do that while I'm at it.

marin86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby marin86 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:50 pm

Seems like a like heat shrink tubing might work better

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:59 pm

^Good idea! Self fusing silicone tape would probably also do the trick.

The insulators were beneficial to me in a way that I didn't expect. They seemed to help hold short stroke springs (e.g. TRD/Swift) in place with the suspension at full droop, in other words, the springs stayed stuck to the body/axle even though the spring's free length was shorter than the space between the body/axle. However, if I physically grabbed and pulled on the spring with a little force it would break free and fall out.