Prepping interior for paint questions.

NOKsk8er
Club4AG Regular

Re: Prepping interior for paint questions.

Postby NOKsk8er » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:27 pm

the question is what do you want to do to it?!
if you just want to spray paint it, then go for it...prime it then paint it the color of your liking...but most spray painting cans you can just spray it without priming.
heres a couple pics i did on my old coupe. i just spray painted black no primer. good luck
RIP

yellowsnow4free
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yellowsnow4free » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:12 pm

jon wrote::?: Okay so I gutted the rear of my car. (Took out seat belts, rear seat, etc... What do I need to do to the metal so I can start spray painting?

Assuming there isn't any rust...

Clean any areas you're going to paint with rubbing alcohol.

Paint any bare metal spots with self-etching primer, followed by regular primer.

Then apply the color of your choice :)

Something like that :P It really depends on what condition of your car and what your plans are :P Pics could help :)

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:50 pm

NOKsk8er.. that painted back portion looks great. I would like to do this someday & gut my interior for painting.

But there's a thick tar like mat the factory had put down at the front & rear floor areas..would that take primer & paint well? or should it be scraped off & removed down to metal then paint?
________________________________________________________________________________
Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop.
Toy House Automotive & Engineering
87 GTS Coupe
85 Toyota Truck V-8 Matching Trailer
72 Blown 6-71 Pro Street Vega

NOKsk8er
Club4AG Regular

Postby NOKsk8er » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:29 pm

KonaTrueno723 wrote:But there's a thick tar like mat the factory had put down at the front & rear floor areas..would that take primer & paint well? or should it be scraped off & removed down to metal then paint?

That tar like is sound dampening?!made to minimize noise for comfortability. you can either use a hammer and chisel to remove it but that will take forever and you'll end up with a crappy job. i used dry ice and that made the job 10 times easier.
just pour it on top of the "tar" give it a couple of minutes then remove it w a chisel or by hand, depends on the stuff.
RIP

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:36 pm

I'm not looking forward to doing the work, but I can't wait for the result! Post more pics for inspiration.
Eric'sFreeAE86 from the old site
Knockoff Crew member #0001

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:00 pm

NOKsk8er wrote:
KonaTrueno723 wrote:But there's a thick tar like mat the factory had put down at the front & rear floor areas..would that take primer & paint well? or should it be scraped off & removed down to metal then paint?

That tar like is sound dampening?!made to minimize noise for comfortability. you can either use a hammer and chisel to remove it but that will take forever and you'll end up with a crappy job. i used dry ice and that made the job 10 times easier.
just pour it on top of the "tar" give it a couple of minutes then remove it w a chisel or by hand, depends on the stuff.

I know what you mean..i tried it on a little section then gave up. I since ripped out the old carpet when I redid my interior pieces & replaced seats..I'll try that dry ice tecnique & see what happens hehe..
________________________________________________________________________________
87 GTS Coupe

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:19 pm

Oh man,jus noticed there's alot of that tar stuff on my floor! Well here,i was unloading my truck & i realized it was line-x coated...i think this will be a great alternative for my floors
87 GTS Coupe