JDM front bumper grill. Help please

ssspacely
Club4AG Enthusiast

JDM front bumper grill. Help please

Postby ssspacely » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:16 am

Can someone tell me why the mounting clips on the driver side of the front grill don't line up? Is it because the headlight is usdm and the mounting holes are for a usdm bumper and grill? see pictures below. The passenger side and center mounting holes line up with my jdm grill just fine. It's just the driver side that does not.

Here is the grill

Passenger side mounting holes line up with grill tabs

Drivers side mounting holes do not line up with tabs.

Thanks for your help. Also, I just got the trueno emblem. It's clipped in fine but it looks like I should have a mounting screw on the back. Anyone know what size/type of screw was used?

ssspacely
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: JDM front bumper grill. Help please

Postby ssspacely » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:24 am

Are my pictures cropped? Sorry I Dont post often so I am learning the basics. Thamks

ssspacely
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ssspacely » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:34 pm

Anyone? Do I need to change the driver side headlight? Thanks

ssspacely
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ssspacely » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:26 pm

Is the driver side headlight a zenki headlight instead of kouki?

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:46 pm

That screw mount is just a plastic pop clip. Squeeze the tabs on the backside with some pliers and pop it out from the metal bracket.

IIRC the grill mount brackets were different on zenki (1984-1985) and kouki (1986-1987) models. (I'm pretty sure the mounting holes are closer on the kouki models and farther apart on the zenki models.)

Since yours are different I'm guessing one of your headlights has been changed. The proper solution is to get a right side headlight with the correct bracket. However, if you modded the bracket or grille you could probably make what you have work.

ssspacely
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ssspacely » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:26 am

Deuce Cam wrote:That screw mount is just a plastic pop clip. Squeeze the tabs on the backside with some pliers and pop it out from the metal bracket.

IIRC the grill mount brackets were different on zenki (1984-1985) and kouki (1986-1987) models. (I'm pretty sure the mounting holes are closer on the kouki models and farther apart on the zenki models.)

Since yours are different I'm guessing one of your headlights has been changed. The proper solution is to get a right side headlight with the correct bracket. However, if you modded the bracket or grille you could probably make what you have work.

Thanks Deuce Cam. I guess I'll have to find a kouki driver side headlight.

I just bought the trueno badge but there was no metal bracket or a pop clip. This is the back of the emblem

And this is the back of it on the bumper

What does the clip look like? Anyone know where I can find one? I have searched all over the web and this forum and I am really surprised that I cannot find photos or anything that shows how the trueno badge stays on. It feels pretty secure without the clip but I really don't want to risk losing the emblem. Thanks for the help.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:01 am

Check the pics in this link and you can see what it looks like: http://www.ep-importers.com/apps/websto ... ow/2769287

It's pretty easy to macgyver something.

death_blossom
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby death_blossom » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:34 am

one of your headlight buckets is a zenki. the zenki only has one square hole. as far as I know, you can still fit a JDM kouki grill, it's just that one of the squares won't be mounted.