My Car Needs a Clutch; Any Suggestions?

redzfit
Club4AG Regular

My Car Needs a Clutch; Any Suggestions?

Postby redzfit » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:41 am

The clutch just went out on my car this morning (1985 GTS with 155k Miles; all stock). Is there anthing special you guys suggest? I might just take it to the local Toyota dealer and have them do it and possibly a flywheel as well. Any informational would be appreciated......

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Re: My Car Needs a Clutch; Any Suggestions?

Postby oldeskewltoy » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:08 am

redzfit wrote:The clutch just went out on my car this morning (1985 GTS with 155k Miles; all stock). Is there anthing special you guys suggest? I might just take it to the local Toyota dealer and have them do it and possibly a flywheel as well. Any informational would be appreciated......

many opinions on clutches.... whatever you get, you might take them to a machine shop and get the pressure plate and flywheels balanced
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

redzfit
Club4AG Regular

Postby redzfit » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:06 am

oldeskewltoy wrote:
redzfit wrote:The clutch just went out on my car this morning (1985 GTS with 155k Miles; all stock). Is there anthing special you guys suggest? I might just take it to the local Toyota dealer and have them do it and possibly a flywheel as well. Any informational would be appreciated......

many opinions on clutches.... whatever you get, you might take them to a machine shop and get the pressure plate and flywheels balanced

I might just get a new flywheel because if its the original one then its almost 30 years old. I have full service history for my car (which is crazy) and the clutch was replaced at 100k miles which was in 1992

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Postby MisterJerk » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:01 pm

Before you replace stuff. Make sure it is indeed the clutch, check out your master and slave cylinders.

for a stock motor, that doesnt get drifted or raced, I would recommend a Stock replacement Aisin brand or exedy stage 1 for spirited driving.

I doubt if you would need to replace the flywheel, check the friction area for uneven wear, cracks, etc. Balance it! Though a light weight (not the 3.7k one)chromoly flywheel(Toda, cusco, w/e) will kick it up a knotch.

Right now I am running a Toda 3.7k with a Aisin stock replacement pressure plate and disc, works very well. but a 3.7k flywheel isn't really for everyone.

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:25 pm

redzfit wrote:The clutch just went out....

What does that mean?
Doesn't engage/slips, slips badly & engine just revs after a few minutes of driving, doesn't disengage/locked/won't go into gear unless engine is off, grinds, feels funny, outa fluid, has'ta be pumped up, haf'ta lift up the stuck pedal up off'a the floor, car doesn't start when the clutch pedal is pushed down to the floorboard??
Flywheel should be resurfaced unless you want a lighter one or it's in great condition - many are in great condition! Heat checks/cracks do not mean replacement, neither does age. Ring gear can be replaced, only if badly worn.
MC & slave are due even if they're both working fine right now.
NOTHING needs to be balanced unless you're the 1 out of 20,000 unlucky enough to get a bad one.

THE VERY LAST PLACE to get parts and/or do the repair is the Toyota Dealer!!!!!!!!!

redzfit
Club4AG Regular

Postby redzfit » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:33 pm

I do not know why I thought I needed a clutch. My clutch pedal lost all pressure and I could barely get into 3rd and 5th gears. Once in those gear the clutch never slipped or anything like that.

I ended up needing and clutch Master Cylinder and slave cylinder (like suggested above). My car should be ready tomorrow! I ended up buying Aisin brand for both parts....

ZINCHOTRAN
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ZINCHOTRAN » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:58 pm

Be sure to check inside your car and under the carpet for clutch fluid. After replacing the MC & SC, you don't want any fluid to eat through the paint. Where did you find the Aisin brand?

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:24 am

redzfit wrote:I do not know why I thought I needed a clutch.

Pessimist?
Thanks for the update.

henahito
Club4AG Regular

Postby henahito » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:59 am

Just bought the Exedy clutch from Battle Garage. Great deal and included the pilot bearing and alignment tool

redzfit
Club4AG Regular

Postby redzfit » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:22 am

ZINCHOTRAN wrote:Be sure to check inside your car and under the carpet for clutch fluid. After replacing the MC & SC, you don't want any fluid to eat through the paint. Where did you find the Aisin brand?

I found them on a few sites but I was able to have one of my friends order them from a car parts wholesale website. I paid under $70 for both. I took them to the dealer to have them put them on, so I hope it is the right parts......

ZINCHOTRAN
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ZINCHOTRAN » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:36 pm

Sounds like a plan, when i drop the T-50 to get my fifth hear back, I'll replace my MC & SC.

I ordered a new driver side exterior door handle. It'll be nice not reaching through to unlock.

redzfit
Club4AG Regular

Postby redzfit » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:44 pm

ZINCHOTRAN wrote:Sounds like a plan, when i drop the T-50 to get my fifth hear back, I'll replace my MC & SC.

I ordered a new driver side exterior door handle. It'll be nice not reaching through to unlock.

I got my car back tonight and it drives great!

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:12 pm

Good.
Mind telling what the dealers rate for that sorta thing was is & where at? Thanks.
Also, any hassle over you supplying the parts at a dealer?

ZINCHOTRAN
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ZINCHOTRAN » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:14 pm

allencr wrote:Good.
Mind telling what the dealers rate for that sorta thing was is & where at? Thanks.
Also, any hassle over you supplying the parts at a dealer?

For the exterior handles, i was quoted $62.83, with tax, per handle, here in Auburn Washington.

Me supplying parts? Or the dealer supplying parts?