Spring Options for Coilover Suspension

maxpham
Club4AG Enthusiast

Spring Options for Coilover Suspension

Postby maxpham » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:45 am

I'm running Greddy Type S suspension setup and although I like it but the spring rates are a bit too stiff for me on the roads here. Are there other spring rates available? Preferable around 3 to 4 kg/mm? I saw some offered on ebay but they don't list their rates. :?

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Re: Spring Options for Coilover Suspension

Postby ga_goosh » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:34 am

do you know the spring length spring rate and inside diameter of your current springs? eibach swift qa1 are all brands of coilover springs. if you want softer rear springs that mount in the stock location you will need trd or swift you will probably have to get a hold of the rears used tho i think swift discontinued the rear springs and trds are tough to get a hold of. do you know what rates you are looking for? are you looking for rears or fronts?

the ebay springs are probably around 2kg/mm spring rate about the same rate as stock springs.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:18 am

from memory, the Greddy uses 8kg frt springs and 6kg rear. also from memory a stock GTS used 1.9kg fronts and 2.2 kg rears.

What I've found to make both a good riding, as well as good handling AE86 (and by default E7s) is a front rate of 300#s (5.5kg) and a rear rate of 200#s (3.6kg) The Greddy dampers should have enough adjustment to adapt to this softer set-up...
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:05 pm

If all else fails mcnsport and ajps can get custom springs made to your specs.

maxpham
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby maxpham » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:53 pm

oldeskewltoy wrote:from memory, the Greddy uses 8kg frt springs and 6kg rear. also from memory a stock GTS used 1.9kg fronts and 2.2 kg rears.

What I've found to make both a good riding, as well as good handling AE86 (and by default E7s) is a front rate of 300#s (5.5kg) and a rear rate of 200#s (3.6kg) The Greddy dampers should have enough adjustment to adapt to this softer set-up...

Thanks for the tip! I read that the stock was around 1.9/1.8 (f/r), stiffer up front. I was looking at getting both new front and rears; probably a 230# (4.1kg)/ 205# (3.7kg) setup. The roads out here are not very well maintained at all so a bit stiffer than stock but sporty enough to get a decent run in SCCA.

ga_goosh - I need to get springs of length 200mm/160mm (f/r), I don't know if there are any brands which would offer the same spring length and diameter as Greddy's. I still want to be able to adjust the ride height and preload. The front spring diameter is definitely smaller on the Greddy's setup than stock. I was contemplating finding a matching spring diameter and cutting it to get near the 4.1kg rate that I want... but then I'd have to do some math. :shock:

Where,
K = Spring Rate
d = Wire Diameter
N = Number Of Active Coils
G = Modulus of Rigidity
C =Spring Index