car won't start need help

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

car won't start need help

Postby daveskatesallday » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:18 pm

Need some help on this. So tonight was getting ready to start the car, plugged everything up, put the timing belt on when the motor was out of the car and it had tension, lined up the points on the cam gear pulleys to the back cover properly. Had the crank gear mark lined up with the dimple on the oil pump. had the belt on tight and made two marks with a paint pen where the cam gears met the belt and the backing plate. This way I could see where they were. Tried to crank it and it kept cranking but wouldn't turn over, tried cranking it for a while so i looked under the hood and noticed the points where the cam gears met the belt was off but i don't see how the belt could've skipped so much. I rotated the crank a few times and where the cam gears line up to the back plate, the crank pulley gear is lined up to the dimple on the oil pump but still no start. Any suggestions?
It's a 4AGTE, megasquirt but the timing should still be the same I had the car dyno tuned, it turned on everyday no issues, only other thing i could think of is the distributor could barely be off? but i lined it up a few times already

*update* so messed with the car a bit more,re-did the timing belt, re-timed everything i noticed when i cranked it without giving it gas nothing happened. Whenever i tapped the gas pedal while giving it gas it would stutter a bit but didn't turn over, could it be a fuel issue? i hear the pump turn on when i turn the key to the on position. I also am wondering if it could be ecu related, I had the battery out of the car for a good 2-3 weeks. Could the ecu itself could have reset?? i'm not sure if this is common with megasquirt or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Re: car won't start need help

Postby allencr » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:53 pm

daveskatesallday wrote:...tapped the gas pedal while giving it gas it would stutter a bit but didn't turn over,

Does that mean it sounds like it's trying to start/run, spitting, coughing, backfiring(intake and/or exhaust), struggling to almost start?
Plugs wet, exhaust smell heavily of fuel?
What everything & anything has been touched since it was last running?

CHECK that the crank's timing mark is actually correct.
Fix the timing, cam and/or ignition!

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Postby MisterJerk » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:38 am

hasn't ran in 2 months?
Cold start isn't working?
Do you feel/hear the fuel moving through the fuel rail when the pump is running?
you getting spark?

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:58 pm

allencr wrote:
daveskatesallday wrote:...tapped the gas pedal while giving it gas it would stutter a bit but didn't turn over,

Does that mean it sounds like it's trying to start/run, spitting, coughing, backfiring(intake and/or exhaust), struggling to almost start?
Plugs wet, exhaust smell heavily of fuel?
What everything & anything has been touched since it was last running?

CHECK that the crank's timing mark is actually correct.
Fix the timing, cam and/or ignition!

It sounded like it wanted to somewhat but not too much. I do need to check the plugs again to see if they smell of fuel. the timing marks are dead on. I double triple checked the timing maybe even about 10-20 times. It's getting spark i checked all the plug wires with a screwdriver when cranking and each wire is getting spark so spark is there. I am stumped though it seems like everything is where it needs to be for it to turnover properly. I reflashed the firmware to the ecu again and uploaded my dyno tune back to the ecu, the ecu is communicating with my computer as well as the car but still no dice. My buddy mentioned to me that since it's a fresh motor new pistons and new rings that it may not be creating enough compression to get it going, i'm not sure how often that happens on a fresh motor though.

any suggestions?
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:10 pm

With all that cranking it is most likely flooded. Have you tried
cranking in "flood clear" mode ? Pretty sure that will just be cranking
while you hold the throttle wide open.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:03 pm

jondee86 wrote:With all that cranking it is most likely flooded. Have you tried
cranking in "flood clear" mode ? Pretty sure that will just be cranking
while you hold the throttle wide open.

Cheers... jondee86

that i haven't tried, how do you do the flood clear?

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:59 pm

Should be set up in the software. Cranking + WOT = no fuel.
Crank with foot flat for 10 or 15 seconds to clear the excess fuel, then
lift your foot and crank normally.

Cheers... jondee86

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:23 pm

jondee86 wrote:Should be set up in the software. Cranking + WOT = no fuel.
Crank with foot flat for 10 or 15 seconds to clear the excess fuel, then
lift your foot and crank normally.

Cheers... jondee86

so i figured out what it was and i feel stupid

so basically a week or so ago before the motor was out of the machine shop i knew i was going with arp head studs so i had the end of the distributor cut off and had the machine shop put a new roll pin in the distributor, i picked it up and went on my way, and up until this point i did not realize the accidentally put the gear with the new pin on upside down so basically once i figured that out, spun the shaft, re-stabbed it and it started up smh

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:21 am

Hey... you got it sorted, and that's the main thing ;)

Cheers... jondee86

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:40 am

jondee86 wrote:Hey... you got it sorted, and that's the main thing ;)

Cheers... jondee86

yep i assumed they would put it back how it came out but accidents happen and it was something easy to overlook

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Postby MisterJerk » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:56 am

w000t! Grats, dude. Take her out for a congratulatory BWAAAAAAH. lol

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:13 pm

MisterJerk wrote:w000t! Grats, dude. Take her out for a congratulatory BWAAAAAAH. lol

lol i did drive it tonight finally but took it easy it only has about 15 miles on the motor as of now haha it felt good to drive it again though!