what fluid do i use for my lsd differential rear end

goofesgts
Club4AG Enthusiast

what fluid do i use for my lsd differential rear end

Postby goofesgts » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:02 am

I want to change my rear end lsd differential fluid myself , just want to know whats the right fluid I need to use for it, and do I need to add an additional lsd additive or I should be fine with just the recommended fluid , or in other words do the fluid the sell have lsd additive in it already or its an additional separate fluid I need to add in , please help, hopping to change it tomorrow , thanks
how can i go to heaven? accepting jesus christ as youre savior!! thats youre ticket to heaven!

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Re: what fluid do i use for my lsd differential rear end

Postby MisterJerk » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:16 am

I used this when i did mine last..

Castrol Syntrax™ Limited Slip 75W-90 Full Synthetic Gear Oil

I've also used mobil1 with good results.
Mobil 1 Syn Gear Lube LS 75W-90

I have OEM LSD. If i was running an aftermarket, I would use whatever they recommend.

I also filled mine the "Taka" way. Poured in through the axle side of the rear end. See the SR5-to GTS magazine.

burdickjp
Club4AG Expert

Postby burdickjp » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:30 am

I am going to be starting with Redline 75W90 NS.
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=47&pcid=7

Their page for the friction modifier talks about the additives which their NS fluids don't have.
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=41&pcid=4

So their NS fluids will have the best lock up, and their friction modifier will reduce chatter at the cost of lock up.
Pursuing the ideal

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:28 am

MisterJerk wrote:I also filled mine the "Taka" way. Poured in through the axle side of the rear end. See the SR5-to GTS magazine.

That's overkill unless you already have an axle out. You can achieve basically the same thing (i.e. overfilling) by jacking the axle up from one side instead of the center, and adding fluid through the fill hole.

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:26 pm

I have a Tomei T-Traxx diff and I use Motul P90. It hooks up well and there is very little low speed chatter. That's the way to go, imo, instead of trying to come up with your own gear oil cocktail.

goofesgts
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby goofesgts » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:42 pm

thanks guys for the tips
how can i go to heaven? accepting jesus christ as youre savior!! thats youre ticket to heaven!

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Postby MisterJerk » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:41 am

Deuce Cam wrote:That's overkill unless you already have an axle out. You can achieve basically the same thing (i.e. overfilling) by jacking the axle up from one side instead of the center, and adding fluid through the fill hole.

I did have the axles out, I replaced my r&p at the time. Either way, my axles come out real easy now. The first time it wasn't as it was the original rear with original everything. Broke the first axle puller(from harbor freight, no surprise).

Used a different axle puller with a 40lb brake lathe weight on it to get the b@stard out

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:00 am

I had a couple Harbor Freight slide hammers like that. You were smarter than me and stopped at one, though. :lol:

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:08 am

MisterJerk wrote:I did have the axles out, I replaced my r&p at the time.

I figured, and I did the same when after getting my pumpkin rebuilt. The project car description had them doing it after a diff. service as well.

I'm just trying to help the op. It seemed counter-intuitive to suggest this method for only an oil change. Even though it's easy, there's no need to remove a wheel, take off the brakes and pull and axle just to change the diff. fluid.