Fluids for Toyota Corolla ae86

Mikerawk
Club4AG Regular

Fluids for Toyota Corolla ae86

Postby Mikerawk » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:25 pm

Hey,

I just recently purchased my first car, 1984 corolla ae86 sr5 hatchback. And i have to say it is so much fun to drive.. Body is straight, 4ac running strong, and for the 3 months that i've owned it has given me no problems! I plan on runnning the engine til it can no longer run... once i have enough experience and knowledge i plan on doing a 4ag swap..

But for now i have some very basic questions:

What type of oil is best for the 4ac?
From what i was able to gather, about 3.5 liters of 5w-30 is the best choice?

What type of brake fluid do you guys use?
Dot3?

What type of transmission fluid is best for the t50? What type of fluid is best for the differential(i have an open diff..)?
Also how many liters should i be pouring!!

Thank you so much for your help! I really enjoy reading/posting on this forum. Everyone is very kind/helpful.

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Re: Fluids for Toyota Corolla ae86

Postby Grant » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:45 pm

Here is a good guide for a full fluid refresh: http://www.hachiroku.net/fluid
It gives you some suggestions for fluids to use.

Personally I use Castrol GTX 10w40 (mineral, not synthetic) for the engine, Redline MT90 for the transmission, and I have a Cusco LSD so I just use the Cusco LSD oil.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention brake fluid and coolant. I believe DOT3 is stock; DOT4 has a higher boiling point and lasts longer apparently. Also for coolant a lot of people like to use the Toyota red long life coolant (I use it as well).

Anyway, congratulations on your new car.

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:27 am

I used 20W50 synthetic in my old n busted 4AC but I have 10W30 synthetic ready to go in my new engines once it's broken in. In the manual trans and rear end I use regulations 80W90 dope. If I remember right you need right around 4 quarts to do the trans and rear end? I have a 5 gallon bucket, so I don't remember the capacity. DOT3 is good, DOT4 is better and both are ok to use. The clutch fluid is the sane as the brake fluid. I use Toyota OEM red coolant, it's cheaper to buy it straight and mix it with distilled water 50/50.

The only fluid with which I'm uncertain is power steering. I would assume ATF, but i'll look it up at work tomorrow if nobody posts it.
Eric'sFreeAE86 from the old site
Knockoff Crew member #0001

Snotcycle
Club4AG Regular

Postby Snotcycle » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:22 pm

Pretty much any decent quality 80w-90 gear oil is fine for the rear end