front rotor problem when replacing

Djsborlasa
Club4AG Regular

front rotor problem when replacing

Postby Djsborlasa » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:14 pm

So I have an 85 gts liftback. Bought front rotors and pads for my 86 but both are the wrong size.
The new rotors are a bit bigger in diameter.
So my question is this.
What rotors are these from? Has the number 43512-12130 (made in japan). slightly smaller than the rotors I received for my liftback from "The Zone." The smaller rotors, which are on my car, are about 9 1/8".

*Also any tips of removing the rotor from the hub. Is it only removable with an impact?

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Re: front rotor problem when replacing

Postby carbd7age » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:25 am

You got parts for a 5 door liftback mate. Tell them it's a coupe 2 door. I looked up AutoZone's website at work (we're slow). Rotor is part number 3126 for coupe, 3199 for sedan/wagon. Pads are MKD282, all pad numbers with "242" somewhere in the part number are for 4-5 door.

Parts store computers think liftback is a wagon, which is fwd which is the same as a sedan, which is NOT the same as an AE86. Tell them it's a 2 door coupe. I know you're proud you have a hatch (me too) but we gotta look up coupe parts. All AE86's have the exact same front end BTW as far as brakes and suspensions.

No impact is needed to remove the hub. Pry the dust cap off, remove the cotter pin, take off the star washer, then remove the hub nut. It should not be tight, otherwise your bearings will bind, overheat, and fail. You might need and impact to get the 4 bolts out of the inside of the hub that hold the rotor in. I used a bench vise to hold the hub by the wheel studs so it wouldn't twist. Those needed an impact lol.

Also replacement the wheel seals whenever you take the hubs off.
Eric'sFreeAE86 from the old site
Knockoff Crew member #0001

Djsborlasa
Club4AG Regular

Postby Djsborlasa » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:30 am

Thanks. those ate the four bolts I referred to. and that helped alot. I was contemplating on getting the coupe brake parts.

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:44 am

Yep coupe. And the bench vise really worked well, put some rags around the studs so you don't scratched the threads and booger em up. Breaker bar should get em loose if you don't have an impact handy.
Eric'sFreeAE86 from the old site
Knockoff Crew member #0001