Heater core removal?

shagymc
Club4AG Expert

Heater core removal?

Postby shagymc » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:40 am

My rolla doesnt have any components for the heat and ac system except the heater core. Im in the process of cleaning up the bay too for paint so I want to pull it out. Does anyone know why i shouldnt do this or any drawbacks to it? What else can be removed if I pull it?
Thanks in advance!

Deuce Cam

Re: Heater core removal?

Postby Deuce Cam » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:46 am

No you don't need it at this point. I take it the heater core is still hooked into the cooling system? If so you'll need to bypass it once removed, and find a line to 'loop' the hard lines leading to/from the heater core and valve. Just go to O'reilly's/Checker/Autozone/etc. and ask to look at their selection of rubber hose bends they keep behind the counter. You'll need a U shaped 5/8" I.D. hose with a couple of inches of length on each side of the bend.

You'll also need to drain your coolant if you don't want to make a mess. It's a good time for a full drain/fill if you haven't done so in a while. If you recently changed the coolant you can simply just drain it from the engine side only (drain plug next to oil filter) into a clean container, then pour what you drained out back into the radiator after the new hose has been fitted.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:36 am

Everything climate related can go at that point. As Deuce said, you just have to make sure the cooling system is a closed loop (in the right flow path) again.

I'm assuming track car, but will you need a defroster vent at any point, or just doing the rain-x / anti fog thing?

Advance has some dirt cheap drain pans you can get with an oil change special for like $4-5 (pan, funnel, shop towel roll, gojo) with another 30% off if you grab a code and order online and pick up locally. It's what I've been doing recently if I need a truly clean pan.

shagymc
Club4AG Expert

Postby shagymc » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:52 pm

Thanks guys, I figured I could go that route. I'll see what I can find research wise as far as the coolant drain plug. The 20v swap is new so the coolant is new.

shagymc
Club4AG Expert

Postby shagymc » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:48 pm

So I got the Heater core out and I bypassed the core(Just by connecting what went out to what went in). There's a slight kink in that hose though and I was wondering if this was a big deal? I don't think so but anyone think otherwise?

milchmann
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby milchmann » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:36 am

Yes, that is a very big problem. You definitely do not want a kink in the line.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:13 am

Yeah, not good. Do your engine a favor and spend $10 on a proper hose from the auto parts store.

shagymc
Club4AG Expert

Postby shagymc » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:03 pm

coolcool, thanks