Matrix Garage Mockup Mule

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Matrix Garage Mockup Mule

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:39 pm

It was almost dark when I snapped the pics so they came out real grainy. I'll get a couple better ones to look at tomorrow. Not that there is much to see lol. She's pretty beat.
This is actually a Matrix Garage mockup mule so overall condition didn't matter much to me. Just needed all the right bits in all the right places.
The owner was dead convinced it was an SR5 but it appears to be wired for a 4AGE and has a GT-S silhouette on the door so I'm not sure what I have. I'll dig in more tomorrow.
No motor in the bay but the better part of a disassembled longblock in the trunk along with quite a few other goodies.

I have a lot of other projects that take much higher priority than making any effort to get this thing on the road. For now it will just be used for mockup and parts fabrication.
I'll try to post up progress and related projects here.
The first project will be a new exhaust manifold that is largely being funded by phanist but we are definitely looking for people who would be interested in getting in on a pre purchase. The bigger the run the cheaper each one will be.

More details and pics in the next couple days.
Last edited by yoshimitsuspeed on Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOTAHOLIC808
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Now an AE86 owner

Postby YOTAHOLIC808 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:02 pm

Haha when I got my 86 I had to pick it up with a trailer too :lol: Im Glad your gonna build one!

What type of exhaust mani you thinking about making? High Rise by any chance?
@_yotaholic

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:20 pm

YOTAHOLIC808 wrote:Haha when I got my 86 I had to pick it up with a trailer too :lol: Im Glad your gonna build one!

What type of exhaust mani you thinking about making? High Rise by any chance?

I am not 100% settled on the design yet but I do want some rise in it.
phanist sent me his silk road to base the design off of but now that I have a chassis to design around I will probably make it more my own design.
On the bright side this car has power steering so I will be able to design around that.

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:42 am

vin - JT2AE88 = GTS
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:00 am

Well then. Looks like I gots me a GTS.

Clouds
Club4AG Expert

Postby Clouds » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:17 pm

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:Well then. Looks like I gots me a GTS.

Congrats, man! Can't wait to see what you do with it.
There shouldn't be a day that goes by where you don't learn something new.

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:10 pm

What state are you located in? Car looks like a fun start. Good luck!

riddleyo
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby riddleyo » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:40 pm

Awesome. We need more pics!

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:28 pm

I feel like I made out pretty good. Even though I paid $550 for this old hoopty plus $160 to my buddy to help me go pick it up with his truck and trailer I still think I did okay. It should pay it's self off quickly enough any way you cut it but I have gotten a number of pleasant surprises including finding out it's a GTS. On top of that it came with T3 RCAs and camber plates, Ground control front kit although I am still missing one threaded perch for one of the sleeves. Hopefully it turns up in the pile of parts. It also looks like it has Swift rear springs. I haven't gotten close enough to 100% confirm but they are the right color and it would match up well with the other parts I have found.

The car it's self is pretty haggard but I haven't found anything yet that would keep it from leading a good second life with a bit of time and work put into it. It has a lot of rust by CO standards but compared to a lot of places it's still not bad hehe.

The GC springs are installed without the sleeves lol. It wouldn't be a problem but without the perch they sit cockeyed on the stock perch.

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:52 pm

Hey! thats pretty cool your in colorado! I saw the snow in the background of the pictures and it reminded me of colorado and the past couple of super cold days. What part of colorado are you located in? Im in the springs. Mabe when you get that thing running, we can do a cruise or something.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:16 pm

Jeonsah wrote:Hey! thats pretty cool your in colorado! I saw the snow in the background of the pictures and it reminded me of colorado and the past couple of super cold days. What part of colorado are you located in? Im in the springs. Mabe when you get that thing running, we can do a cruise or something.

I'm in Carbondale so a pretty decent drive to the springs.

I don't expect this car to move under it's own power for a good while.
For now it will be used for mocking up custom and production parts and for R&D.
First I need to start making enough money to focus on more projects. Anyone who wants to help me actually be able to afford to do that buy more stuff from me lol. http://matrixgarage.com/?q=store

Top priority is finishing my engine dyno. Still a few grand and couple weeks of work away from that.
Second priority would probably be getting my AW11 back on the road.
Third priority would probably be rebuilding the motor on my CR250, hopefully in time for a couple rides next summer.
Fourth priority would probably be putting some time and money into the 2.5RS to get it ready for next winter.
Fifth priority would be putting some time and money into the 55 Studebaker President so I can drive that around a little by this summer or at the very least the next.
Then there are a couple other things that I would really like to do like invest in a high end commercial CAD program and expand the tools and capabilities of my shop.
If nothing comes up between now and then the 86 would fall somewhere around here on the list.

I really did get it to be able to use for fabbing parts for it. If I can manage to turn it into a roadworthy vehicle again that will be awesome but not in the cards for a while.

YOTAHOLIC808
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby YOTAHOLIC808 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:52 am

Im pretty sure my project will be contributing to your project shortly! haha, hey bro about the headers, if you do go highrise, it would be AWSOME if you were to sell a DIY header kit!
@_yotaholic

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:29 pm

YOTAHOLIC808 wrote:Im pretty sure my project will be contributing to your project shortly! haha, hey bro about the headers, if you do go highrise, it would be AWSOME if you were to sell a DIY header kit!

Like one you could weld up yourself?
In the volume that I expect to move that won't be very practical. If I could get full bends made so they just welded up in a couple spots it may be easier but I would need to order a bunch at once for it to be an affordable option. Otherwise even in a small scale production run there is a lot of work that goes into getting good fitup on joints. There is always quite a bit of grinding and massaging of individual pieces of pipe to get it all to line up.

stevegolf
Club4AG Regular

Postby stevegolf » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:52 pm

As long as the rust isnt too bad it looks like you got a good deal!

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Re: Matrix Garage Mockup Mule

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:32 pm

It's not 86 specific but a new part I'm offering.
Coil pack bracket for distriutorless ignitions.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:34 pm

Also changed the title to something more fitting to the thread.

YOTAHOLIC808
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby YOTAHOLIC808 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:07 am

yoshimitsuspeed wrote: Like one you could weld up yourself?
In the volume that I expect to move that won't be very practical. If I could get full bends made so they just welded up in a couple spots it may be easier but I would need to order a bunch at once for it to be an affordable option. Otherwise even in a small scale production run there is a lot of work that goes into getting good fitup on joints. There is always quite a bit of grinding and massaging of individual pieces of pipe to get it all to line up.

True... Just a thought, i like the look of multiple smaller sections welded together! Hopefully I can make my own one day!
@_yotaholic

riddleyo
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby riddleyo » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:42 pm

stevegolf wrote:As long as the rust isnt too bad it looks like you got a good deal!

I think he got one hell of a deal, even if it was all rust!
T3 RCAs, Camber plates, Ground controls, tons of AE86 OEM parts - $550?

Awesome!

marley4us
Club4AG Expert

Postby marley4us » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:10 pm

sounds sweet.

But dear god please stop taking pictures with a potato!!! Take a moment, use a modern phone, or whatever anything but what you are using so we can actually see what you are doing lol.

Thanks
1985 Corolla Hatch widebody w/ SR20det (The Project)
1993 5SGTE stroker widebody MR2 Turbo (drag car)
2002 Miata SE hardtop (daily Driver)
1994 4runner (The truck)

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:16 pm

Lol, the camera actually isn't bad. It is my phone but it can take good pics. I just need to get better lighting. The bad pics are just due to overexposure and I never use the flash because metal doesn't come out looking good.

The camera I have isn't much better haha.

marley4us
Club4AG Expert

Postby marley4us » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:44 pm

is your camera from 1980? lol
1985 Corolla Hatch widebody w/ SR20det (The Project)
1993 5SGTE stroker widebody MR2 Turbo (drag car)
2002 Miata SE hardtop (daily Driver)
1994 4runner (The truck)

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:10 am

So I went out today to start mounting a block and head to the trans to start mocking up some header and turbo mani options to find out that of all the parts the car came with it has no motor mounts.
If anyone has any they would be willing to donate to this project let me know. It would be greatly appreciated.
http://www.matrixgarage.com/?q=content/ ... d-stuff-rd

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:37 pm

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:So I went out today to start mounting a block and head to the trans to start mocking up some header and turbo mani options to find out that of all the parts the car came with it has no motor mounts.
If anyone has any they would be willing to donate to this project let me know. It would be greatly appreciated.

engine brackets as well as the rubber mounts?
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:39 pm

oldeskewltoy wrote:
yoshimitsuspeed wrote:So I went out today to start mounting a block and head to the trans to start mocking up some header and turbo mani options to find out that of all the parts the car came with it has no motor mounts.

engine brackets as well as the rubber mounts?

Yep, exactly