My red hatch (fix-up and restoration)

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Re: My red hatch (fix-up and restoration)

Postby Grant » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:08 pm

Thanks for the compliments. :)

The axle confusion was mainly about the tapering that people claimed was the difference between zenki and kouki axles. I measured the axles and they match up with zenki LSD axle measurements.
As for the LSD, actually it's a Cusco 1.5way LSD. The previous owner told me he put it in after the original died. I have verified it locks up very well. :lol: :lol:

At the moment I'm waiting on getting my front suspension parts back from sandblasting/powercoating. Pretty excited! 8-)

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Postby Grant » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:49 pm

Finally another update on the front suspension parts:

Got some of my parts back from sandblasting.

Again I'm using POR-15 for coating. My rear axle that I also coated with POR-15 still looks like the day I painted it, so hopefully it stays that way. :)

I had the springs powder coated because they are a pain to paint. I'm curious which coating will fail first?

Finally done with all the painting for these parts. 8-)

Now the only parts left to paint are the struts. Those are on my to-do list for next weekend.
I am choosing to leave the cross member for later since I don't have access to an engine hoist for supporting the engine (I know I could put wood under the oil pan, but I don't like that idea).

That's it for now! I'll have more updates as I start putting the car back together. :D

trigun402
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby trigun402 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:45 pm

All nice and clean

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:31 am

Loving your build cleanup restoration. great job so far. Did you measure your rear axles? From what I understand the zenki axle is 24 millimeters diameter, and the kouki axle is 25 millimeters diameter. I am currently in the never ending search for a complete rear end right now and would love to know how your rear end turned out. sounds funny. 8-)

Disable adblock

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Postby Grant » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:10 am

notnilc20 wrote:Loving your build cleanup restoration. great job so far. Did you measure your rear axles? From what I understand the zenki axle is 24 millimeters diameter, and the kouki axle is 25 millimeters diameter. I am currently in the never ending search for a complete rear end right now and would love to know how your rear end turned out. sounds funny. 8-)

Thanks for the comments!
Yes I did measure them. Both are zenki LSD axles and with a 24mm spline diameter. Basically the main point I discovered is the tapering on the axle does not tell you if it is zenki or kouki. You must measure them. :)

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Postby Grant » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:06 pm

Another quick update. I've been pretty productive with the car since I am moving and I need to get the car driveable.

Putting everything back together, bushings are all in and greased.

I cleaned up and painted the front calipers and brackets so they match the other shiny parts. I didn't even disconnect the brake lines, it just took some clever work with the painters tape. :P

Almost time to put the wheels on! 8-) 8-)

I'll get another picture of the finished job tomorrow.
I am pretty pleased with the results after taking a quick drive. Handling feels much nicer and there isn't really a noticeable increase in noise or vibration.

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Postby Grant » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:22 pm

Here is a bit better shot of it all reassembled.

I have a question for anyone who has experience with long trips with their AE86. Do I need to worry about sustained RPMs around 3500-4000? For example highway cruising at 65mph. I am about to make a 550 mile trip with the car which is mostly highway. I know the car loves to rev, but how long is safe to sustain that kind of engine speed?

If anyone wants to share their experience with long trips let me know. ;)

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Postby Grant » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:03 pm

Well it has been a while since my last post. Moving is quite a lot of work, but I'm pretty much settled now and I wanted to give a quick update.

My car made the long trip without any problems! The only thing I had to do on the way was tighten the A/C belt a little since it was brand new and stretched during the trip.

In May of 2016 my car officially turned 30 years old (according to the metal placard on the driver side door), so I like to think it's doing pretty well for its age. ;)

At this point since the car is 100% functional, and most of the wear items have been replaced I will be focusing more on the cosmetic restoration (basically dumping money on paint and bodywork :lol:).

Disable adblock

Return to “OWNERS and BUILDERS”